My latest release - 30 Years Later!

It's all about cheating!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

My latest release - 30 Years Later!

Post by Mug UK »

30 years ago, I was quite a prolific creator of saved game editors for the Atari ST (*).

Last weekend I attended the SillyVenture in Gdansk, Poland and I had submitted my disk into the Wild! Compo as it wasn't a game, nor a demo, nor something that fitted into teeny, tiny memory. This is GFA BASIC after all :)

However, during the event, I showed Grey/MSB my new Atari tattoo that I'd got done for the Atari 50th year as well as something fun to show off at the event. Once it was on Instagram, it went onto Twitter and two scene legends (Leonard/Oxygene and Gunstick/ULM) suggested that I also enter the tattoo into the same Wild! competition.

Somehow in a "wires crossed" scenario, my disk entry disappeared and my tattoo became the only entry I had. However, this got me a 2nd place and one of those SillyVenture statuettes. So a happy result in the end.

After getting back to the UK yesterday afternoon, I decided to double-check all my spelling in my .RSC files and I am releasing the disk today. It contains 12 of my older cheats brought up to date using GEM .RSC files.

All development was done using GBE v3.72 and Interface v2.33 whilst running under EasyAraMINT. EasyAraMint is very nice to use, but I did come a cropper once when I realised that designing a .RSC file whilst using a large display means that sometimes it doesn't fit on a standard medium resolution desktop. Ooops!

There are also two brand new cheats - Air Bucks & Hillsfar - as well as an update of my GFA File Linker (v2.5) which now contains example code taken from my Synthetic Delights demo. Lonny has recently added Auto v5.01 and SpeedPacker 3 depack routines to his GBE's ~UNPACK command, so get the latest beta from his Google drive.

I have to admit that trying to program GEM .RSC files after 30 years of using VBA was a pain at times because I'm so used to the extras that come with Windows GUI tools. No combo-boxes, no listboxes and general "whatever you're thinking you can add, you can't".

Samurai^Inter's son, who was at the event with his Dad, wanted to see just how "bad" things were for .RSC design as he was learning/using Kotlin and moaning about its limits. He was shocked at how few options a basic GEM application can have for a tree :)

Note: There's no hard feelings felt towards those handling the compo entries as sh!t does often happen :)

Downloads:
30YEARS.zip
For those that do Dropbox, here's a direct link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyd1klmxhtijl ... S.zip?dl=0

(*) I also ported a few to the Amiga, but GFA BASIC on there was dire by comparison and I've since lost the original disk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Main site: www.mug-uk.co.uk - digging up bits from my past: Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (ripping guides). I host a C64 Radio Show for a mate, Max Hall via www.chipsidshow.co.uk

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in for Word 2007 upwards. A toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: mikestoolbox.co.uk
mlynn1974
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: My latest release - 30 Years Later!

Post by mlynn1974 »

Thanks Mug UK! At last! A hack for Grandad and The Quest for The Holey Vest. That was written in STOS. I'll need to try that at the weekend.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

Show that Atari tatto :)
Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

mlynn1974 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 pm Thanks Mug UK! At last! A hack for Grandad and The Quest for The Holey Vest. That was written in STOS. I'll need to try that at the weekend.
My old one which didn't have a GEM version has been on DemoZoo for ages?
Main site: www.mug-uk.co.uk - digging up bits from my past: Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (ripping guides). I host a C64 Radio Show for a mate, Max Hall via www.chipsidshow.co.uk

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in for Word 2007 upwards. A toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: mikestoolbox.co.uk
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Cyprian wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:01 pm Show that Atari tatto :)
I don't think it'll fit in the small profile window size :)

Playmobil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Playmobil »

NTW, nice tatoo @Mug UK !
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Playmobil wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:01 pm NTW, nice tatoo @Mug UK !

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

@mlynn1974 has sent me a PM advising me that my Desktop.INF is knackered as it blocks the TXT files from being used. I've no idea how to fix that as it's probably been the same amount of time as the title of the disk since I last properly messed about with them.

I tested the .TXT files from the disk when it was open in STEEM and I use VIEWII to open all text files, so I thought it worked. D'oh. So what line and where do I need to add in to fix this and then I'll update the disk image on the DropBox link.

Code: Select all

#a000000
#b000000
#c???000?000<00<?00;;400;0;;;4440??0;;?0?;0;;;0??03111103
#d                                             
#E 98 12 
#W 00 00 08 01 1E 17 09 A:\*.*@
#W 00 00 32 01 1E 17 00 @
#W 00 00 0A 0F 34 09 00 @
#W 00 00 0E 01 34 09 00 @
#M 00 00 00 FF A MUG UK@ @ 
#M 00 01 00 FF B 2022@ @ 
#T 00 03 02 FF   TRASH@ @ 
#D FF 01   @ *.*@ 
#G 03 FF   *.APP@ @ 
#G 03 FF   *.PRG@ @ 
#P 03 FF   *.TTP@ @ 
#F 03 04   *.TOS@ @
Could I remove the .APP & .TTP lines with an entry for the .TXT and the single .DIZ file?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Thanks to @mlynn1974 for providing the line that I must have deleted in a rush using Notepad++ ... such a stupid error.

Ah well, if you did download the image yesterday, grab it again and you'll be able to view the text files on the disk.

D'oh, d'oh and thrice d'oh!

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

As this is utility disk, would it make sense if the AUTO/ intro would work also in monochrome?

I mean, it runs fine with EmuTOS + monochrome, but the low-rez gfx do not look OK. The transitions work fine though.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

I'll remember that for Volume 2 :)

I just used some old GFA code that I put on the front of my Quartet Music Rip Disks.

Return to “Cheats & Saved-Game Editing”