uip-tool

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

sqward
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: uip-tool

Post by sqward »

Packet splitting is necessary because of the architecture of TCPIP stacks on PCs (all OSes apply here). They won't send and ACK for a single packet but rather for an entire TCP window or two consecutive packets. So splitting one logical packet into two hardware packet is a way of enforcing an ACK from the peer. This wouldn't be necessary if the UIP stack was more advanced. But that wasn't it's goal.
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by neanderthal »

sqward wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:42 pm Packet splitting is necessary because of the architecture of TCPIP stacks on PCs (all OSes apply here). They won't send and ACK for a single packet but rather for an entire TCP window or two consecutive packets. So splitting one logical packet into two hardware packet is a way of enforcing an ACK from the peer. This wouldn't be necessary if the UIP stack was more advanced. But that wasn't it's goal.
Oh I thought it was for the internal simplified sequencer,or well,quess it sort of is.
However I dont get 2 physical packs as far as I see on my counters(have both HW and SW),but looks like software sends 2 packets and HW one.
So I thought It was just internal polling or something that sequenced it like that for 'inbetween' checks or such.
Wonder if forgot a extra SW counter somewhere?
sqward
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sqward »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by neanderthal »

sqward wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:31 pm I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Im my own driver version I get 2 packets from uip which are sent as one ethernet packet.
The send unit in the HW does not start until size of expected ethernet frame is full in card-memory if remember correctly.(its tunable)
Looks a bit funny but works,havent checked out that much since its usable.
But could aswell be that have forgotten a softcounter extra in there somewhere,did remake the driver a bit for uip-tool.
Have to check someday when time for it.
Dbug
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Dbug »

Great work regarding uip-tool, this thing works really well :)

I was wondering if somebody could build a version with the full debug symbols enabled, so I could run it from a debugger to find the reasons why it sometimes crashes and go back to desktop?
sqward
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sqward »

Can you tell me more about the crash? I generally don't see any, but my usage scenario is probably narrow.
sqward
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sqward »

neanderthal wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 pm Im my own driver version I get 2 packets from uip which are sent as one ethernet packet.
This is normal. It's a workaround the fact that uip stack is very primitive.
http://contiki.sourceforge.net/docs/2.6 ... l#_details
Bengy
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Bengy »

Love this tool use it all the time. Wish getting online in general was as easy as this! Props to you Sqward.
Dbug
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Dbug »

sqward wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:48 pm Can you tell me more about the crash? I generally don't see any, but my usage scenario is probably narrow.
Nothing special, it was when running it for a long while, like to upload large amount of files through the web browser, then not do anything for a while, then send more files, and at some point I realized the tool was not running anymore.

Apparently I'm not the only one having experienced that, since somebody made a tool to restart it:
https://github.com/simonsunnyboy/startu ... /README.md

One thing I noticed is that on the first start of uip-tool it fetches the IP almost instantaneously, but on the next start it would take almost 30 seconds to one minute.

All that on a Mega STe with TOS 2.06, without Sting (I tried to make it use Sting but I did not managed to get that running)
sqward
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sqward »

Regarding DHCP being slow on subsequent starts that could be caused by the fact that DHCP clients are supposed to cache and reuse assigned ip address until the lease expires. There are some other issues with the DHCP I'm aware of so I'll try to fix it.
Acill
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Acill »

I recently got a NetUSBee and discovered UIPtool. I got it working today for the first time and now I cant seem to get it to run. I havent changed anything in my system. I have an STE, I have my ethernet connected to my LAN through a switch. Before I would launch it and get the IP address and all was great, now when I try to launch it I can see it start for a second and it shuts down back to TOS. I have has it work a couple more times, but now it seems its not starting at all. What am I doing wrong here??

I am also pretty new to owning an ST.
Last edited by Acill on Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Applications”