uip-tool doesn't give me the IP

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Robbizz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

uip-tool doesn't give me the IP

Post by Robbizz »

I'm trying to use uip-tool (UIPV310.TOS) to be able to transfer files with my PC. The problem is, based on what lotharek's video says, it should be self-contained and sufficient to run on its own. I have a working local network with a HUB connecting my PCs/MACs, and they are all connected to each other; so I'm sure that network cables, HUBs and computers with related configurations work correctly.
Unfortunately when I run UIPV310.TOS I see this, both on a Mega STE and on a Falcon 030. Then by pressing a key the control goes back to TOS:
58A70CD4-3852-4114-8C32-18C99042EA1F - dimensioni grandi.jpeg

I have nothing in the AUTO folder and I see the LED lit when I connect the network cable to NetUSBee. On the lotharek website there is a video that explains how to do it. In the video there is a version 43 uip-tool, but in the related download it is not.
Where am I doing wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jedidiah
Atari User
Atari User

Re: uip-tool doesn't give me the IP

Post by jedidiah »

Robbizz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:44 pm I'm trying to use uip-tool (UIPV310.TOS) to be able to transfer files with my PC. The problem is, based on what lotharek's video says, it should be self-contained and sufficient to run on its own. I have a working local network with a HUB connecting my PCs/MACs, and they are all connected to each other; so I'm sure that network cables, HUBs and computers with related configurations work correctly.
Unfortunately when I run UIPV310.TOS I see this, both on a Mega STE and on a Falcon 030. Then by pressing a key the control goes back to TOS:

58A70CD4-3852-4114-8C32-18C99042EA1F - dimensioni grandi.jpeg

I have nothing in the AUTO folder and I see the LED lit when I connect the network cable to NetUSBee. On the lotharek website there is a video that explains how to do it. In the video there is a version 43 uip-tool, but in the related download it is not.
Where am I doing wrong?
What assigns DHCP addresses on your network? That could be where you're having a hangup.

Have you tried setting it up in Sting or Mint? Have you tried setting up the USB support?
Original: 520STm, 520STe+4M
Current: Mist 1.5, UK 520STe+4M+Gotek+SD4ST, GER Falcon030+DFB1X/50+Gotek
Other STuff: NetUSBee, Imposter, SideCarT, TruMouse V2
saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by saulot »

@robizz: Try recent version. 310 is quite old. https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/ ... master.tos. Unfortunately I've got similar issues too (very annoying I know), sometimes dhcp adress is retrieved, sometimes not (if you are connected to router with dhcp). It's likely hardware issue (netusbee / cartridge port), because I don't have any issues on usb ethernet adapter.
Program is self sufficient, you don't need any drivers / setup.
Alternatively you could try use static ip.
Robbizz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Robbizz »

saulot wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 am @robizz: Try recent version. 310 is quite old. https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/ ... master.tos. Unfortunately I've got similar issues too (very annoying I know), sometimes dhcp adress is retrieved, sometimes not (if you are connected to router with dhcp). It's likely hardware issue (netusbee / cartridge port), because I don't have any issues on usb ethernet adapter.
Program is self sufficient, you don't need any drivers / setup.
Alternatively you could try use static ip.
Thank's... Today I'll try with this new version, I'll also try to clean the contacts of the cartridge and pocket...
Do you know how to set static IP with that uip-tool?
Robbizz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Robbizz »

What assigns DHCP addresses on your network? That could be where you're having a hangup.

Have you tried setting it up in Sting or Mint? Have you tried setting up the USB support?
[/quote]

Yes, I have a server (router) that automatically assigns various IPs to clients. I was reading a post here on this forum from a user who had the same problem as me and solved it by cleaning the cartridge contacts. I'll try it today too. Let's hope so
saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by saulot »

@robizz manual can be found on official site.
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

I've found it'll do this when the DHCP server isn't operating right - might be worth seeing if you can specify a fixed IP based on the mac address - I've done that and it made things a little more reliable for me.
tofro
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by tofro »

I see similar things - apparently, NetUSbee sometimes seems to miss the DHCP reply (with other devices, however, my DHCP server is working flawlessly, so this seems to be a NetUSBee-specific problem).

What I do? I simply re-start uiptool. The second or third re-try usually works just fine.
Robbizz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Robbizz »

I dropped the router as a DHCP server and installed a DHCP server on a Linux computer. Now it works, but it's strange because my PCs got the IP thanks to the router... well... anyway I wasn't able to understand, even though yesterday I did research on the official website (many links lead to empty pages) and read various howtos and manuals, how to set a static IP on UIPV310.TOS (and new version 362 that @sault has made available). @LaceySnr do you have a link for the manual on how to set the static IP? From what I understand I don't have to use STING, otherwise the TCP/IP Stack overlaps with the already integrated one of UIPV310.TOS (or 362). Correct?
saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by saulot »

@Robizz: uiptool will not launch with any other ip stack and on FreeMint.. Builds are automated master is always latest version from main/stable branch.
evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by evil »

Robbizz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am yesterday I did research on the official website (many links lead to empty pages) and read various howtos and manuals, how to set a static IP on UIPV310.TOS (and new version 362 that @sault has made available). @LaceySnr do you have a link for the manual on how to set the static IP?
From Sqwards Bitbucket page manual:
To toggle between DHCP and STATIC IP use F1 key. When toggled for the first time a config fill will be saved alongside uiptool executable. User is expected to edit that file with a text editor to set IP address, netmask, and gateway which corresponds with their configuration.
https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/src/master/

Return to “Applications”