I made a clone of the export interface...

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

I made a clone of the export interface...

Post by motosega »

recently i made a clone of the c-lab export midi device that plugs into the serial port and gives you three extra midi outs.

it's basically a reboot of bjorn julin's tellutone design, so thanks bjorn. it's still the same basic design as the original c-lab export, with all its compromises,

i have ordered 10 boards with the smd components already assembled, and i will solder on the THT components myself.

they have already been made and are on the way to italy with the cheapest shipping available from china.

i designed a 3d printable box too, but i'll wait until i know that the hardware works as intended before printing any.
Atari Export_3d2.png
Atari Export_3d.png
atariExportCase_back.png
atariExportCase_front.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: I made a clone of the export interface...

Post by charles »

I wish STeem the emulator while running Cubase clab etc
would communicate and permit configuration so could use an extra midi port on my pc

thus allowing a adaptor and yours or any cartridge/rs232 port devices to be utilized.
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!
motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by motosega »

Hatari seems to have serial port support, I will try it when I get the boards.
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

motosega wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:11 pm recently i made a clone of the c-lab export midi device that plugs into the serial port and gives you three extra midi outs.
Thanks for doing this. Great work.

Let us know how it goes when you have checked the boards.

Do you intend to sell any of these? I suppose the answer will be yes.
motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by motosega »

Thanks! This project is partially just me making one for myself, partly me learning how to do design for manufacture, and the idea that I can sell a few to make up for the time and costs makes the whole thing seem worthwhile.

Assuming this batch works I'll definitely sell 8 of them, and keep two for myself, but if there is demand then I will make more.

I'm not sure how much I will charge yet, but it will be less than a used c-lab export from eBay.
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

motosega wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 pm Thanks! This project is partially just me making one for myself, partly me learning how to do design for manufacture, and the idea that I can sell a few to make up for the time and costs makes the whole thing seem worthwhile.

Assuming this batch works I'll definitely sell 8 of them, and keep two for myself, but if there is demand then I will make more.

I'm not sure how much I will charge yet, but it will be less than a used c-lab export from eBay.
Thanks! Keep me posted, please.
motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by motosega »

Sure I'll post here when the arrive!
motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by motosega »

The pcbs arrived, and they seem to be fine, apart from a minor error that can be fixed with a few jumper wires.

but unfortunately it seems that my ST has a problem with the DTR and RTS lines on the serial port, so i can't test them properly until i get my hands on another ST.
Cwiiis
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Cwiiis »

motosega wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 pm The pcbs arrived, and they seem to be fine, apart from a minor error that can be fixed with a few jumper wires.

but unfortunately it seems that my ST has a problem with the DTR and RTS lines on the serial port, so i can't test them properly until i get my hands on another ST.
Did anything become of this? Would you consider open-sourcing the design so others could build their own boards?
motosega
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by motosega »

I should have updated this thread.

When the boards came back they had a few problems. I had messed up the pins on the din connector, nothing terrible, just a couple of traces to cut and solder.

But most importantly I discovered that my St has a problem with it's serial port, specifically the signals that come from the ym sound chip which are used for switching between the midi ports. Until I fix that then I won't be able to do any more work on this.

I could publish the kicad project as is on GitHub, if you want to use it as a starting point , let me know if that's something you'd be interested in.
tOri
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tOri »

Hi,

I love anything that will protect Atari devices from extinction. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you complete the project without any problems. Thank you for the effort you have put and are putting into such useful work for Atarians. I wish you had the will to save more devices from disappearing.

Regards
tOri
http://atari.myftp.org ATARI - Power without price and necessary elements
various varieties for Atari and not only - useful or not, but it's worth a look ...
https://reversing.pl/
Cwiiis
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Cwiiis »

motosega wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:29 am I should have updated this thread.

When the boards came back they had a few problems. I had messed up the pins on the din connector, nothing terrible, just a couple of traces to cut and solder.

But most importantly I discovered that my St has a problem with it's serial port, specifically the signals that come from the ym sound chip which are used for switching between the midi ports. Until I fix that then I won't be able to do any more work on this.

I could publish the kicad project as is on GitHub, if you want to use it as a starting point , let me know if that's something you'd be interested in.
I don't have the knowledge to usefully debug the device, but might be worth putting it on GitHub with a disclaimer anyway, in case someone else comes across it that might want to take a shot?
saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by saulot »

Cool project. But I would put ST connector on some sort of cable. Is there any information regarding programming those boxes?
jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jd »

motosega wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 pm The pcbs arrived, and they seem to be fine, apart from a minor error that can be fixed with a few jumper wires.

Have you tried HSMODA07 (https://www.atariuptodate.de/en/4236/hs-modem) patch?

My ST serial port would only work for the hardware handshaking lines properly with this installed.

Also serial uses -12V is power good to the area?

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”