confused between MINT snapshot deployment methods

FreeMiNT related questions are answered here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, mikro, ThorstenOtto, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

confused between MINT snapshot deployment methods

Post by wongck »

Right... I don't really know what it is called, so I am just calling it deployment method.
If this have been already told elsewhere please point me to it. I have forgotten, as age already caught up and miles ahead of me.

While updating my Mint from GitHub, I noticed that there are 2 different methods of deploying it.
In one, looks like the full MINT.PRG is in the AUTO.
In the other, looks like a small loader in AUTO that loads the main MINT.PRG in the system folder.

Is the one where the entire MINT in AUTO better as you don't loose few bytes due to the loader?
And it is booting faster ??

What are the differences ??

is it only for convenience sake only?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: confused between MINT snapshot deployment methods

Post by mikro »

It's no better or worse, it depends on your needs:

The small loader version (I call it bootable snapshots) is useful for:
- if you want to test various snapshots together (each one is depacked into separate folder in C:\MINT)
- if you need an immediately working setup, i.e. no wasting time with mint.cnf and xaaes.cnf, find the right desktop etc
- if you care more about usability than performance

The other version (I call it CPU builds) is useful for:
- if you care about performance (each CPU has its own build)
- if you want to upgrade your previous installation (SYSDIR is always \MINT\1-19-cur), i.e. just overwrite everything and keep your old config files
- if you don't want the wasteful addons (cp, ls, bash, Teradesk, Qed etc)

EDIT: The mint loader is useful if you frequently boot between various platforms and want to keep your configs (typically Falcon030 vs. CT60 but also, say, ST vs. PAK030). (after updating to @stormy's request)
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

I found that the small loader version is annoying in that it won't load from a 1-19-CUR folder, it's hard coded to that specific build like 1-19-ef9e2 etc. If it didn't do that it'd be very helpful switching between 030 and 060 mode without having to change the auto program.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

@stormy believe or not but it has never occured to me that people would be asking for this feature. :-) And it even makes sense, instead of the awkward renaming / deleting in AUTO when a CPU build is depacked, just use one simple mintload.prg which gets updated each time one downloads a new archive.

In fact, I like this proposal that much that I have just pushed a fix for it. So from now on, CPU builds also use mintloader with (\MINT\1-19-cur as $SYSDIR of course)
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

mikro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:10 pm @stormy believe or not but it has never occured to me that people would be asking for this feature. :-) And it even makes sense, instead of the awkward renaming / deleting in AUTO when a CPU build is depacked, just use one simple mintload.prg which gets updated each time one downloads a new archive.

In fact, I like this proposal that much that I have just pushed a fix for it. So from now on, CPU builds also use mintloader with (\MINT\1-19-cur as $SYSDIR of course)
Yay!! :D
PeterS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by PeterS »

I think I asked for thata few years ago.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

stormy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:50 pm
mikro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:10 pm @stormy believe or not but it has never occured to me that people would be asking for this feature. :-) And it even makes sense, instead of the awkward renaming / deleting in AUTO when a CPU build is depacked, just use one simple mintload.prg which gets updated each time one downloads a new archive.

Yay!! :D
yay!! 2
Annoying on the Afterburner as well.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Thanks for the answers.

Good to know there is not much difference.

But why do you mention that the CPU builds have better performance ?
I see MInt.prg built for difference arch in the system folder.

On my Falcon, I have v1-18, 1-19-cur, 1-19-xxx so the loader will be of use here and I found it to be convenient to select the 1-19 versions.
It is also easier for me to setup as i only need to modify CNF files to my liking.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

I used to have both 030 and 060 versions on my Falcon. I used to rename the files so that it will not mixed up. I get worried as I do not know if it uses the filename to do something special (like it used to determine MP and non-MP by looking at it's name).

But I find that I do not use Mint 030 much (which also means no Radeon & network.... making Mint very lame) so I removed that to claim back a bit of HDD space.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

wongck wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:19 am But why do you mention that the CPU builds have better performance ?
I see MInt.prg built for difference arch in the system folder.
True but the rest (XaAES, tools, usb drivers and some kernel modules) are compiled for specific CPU only (in contrast with bootable builds where the "TT/Falcon/clones" archive is optimised only for -m68020-60 -- not great, not terrible but in theory less optimised).
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

ah ok, I get it. Thanks.

Return to “FreeMiNT support”