SmartBoard STE

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

SmartBoard STE

Post by Arne »

As already announced two weeks ago I finally had some time to populate and test some PCBs.
viewtopic.php?p=428073#p428073

SmartBoard STE is an extension for Atari 520/1040STE. No other machines!
It fits between the floppy disk drive and the mainboard. The TOS ROMs on the mainboard need to be removed.
SmartBoard STE extends the STE by:
  • one Atari Falcon030 compatible IDE port
  • FlashROM for 3 (up to 4) TOS/MagiC compatible operating systems
  • Atari Mega ST/Mega STE compatible, battery backed RTC
Switching the operating system is solely done via the STE's keyboard. No mechanical switches or jumpers!
If you want to use the FDD LED in the right top corner of the keyboard for FDD and IDE (HDD) activity then there is a solution. SmartBoard STE is already prepared for that task.
You need some soldering skills and equipment to connect the cables.

I hope to find some time to assemble HD-Kit PCBs for Atari 520/1040STE the next days. These can be used in conjunction with SmartBoard STE!
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: SmartBoard STE

Post by mikro »

The image is broken (not visible) + the link in the other thread is dead. This is the correct one: http://atari.team-yankee.net/pages/bake ... ste-41.php

Btw, I must say, a pretty novel idea with the keyboard handler. I've been hating the present jumper-based solutions quite a lot, it is the #1 reason why I didn't upgrade to any of those TOS switchers. MonSTer got away because of the other nice features but still, I hate that freakin' jumper!
Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Arne »

mikro wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pm The image is broken (not visible)
Depends on your browser. Palemoon shows it, Opera does not.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

mikro wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pmBtw, I must say, a pretty novel idea with the keyboard handler. I've been hating the present jumper-based solutions quite a lot, it is the #1 reason why I didn't upgrade to any of those TOS switchers. MonSTer got away because of the other nice features but still, I hate that freakin' jumper!
You can do this with your MonSTEr too, mikro: viewtopic.php?p=269753#p269753

I have not done this on my MSTE, I have physical switches in a 3D-printed VME-slot cover instead. But I'm using this method in my STM with my homecooked flash-ROM and also in my Falcon/AB/Nova where I use it to switch between Videl and Nova video.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Return to “News & Announcements”