Atari STFM Floppy Not Responding

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

axeman101
Atarian
Atarian

Atari STFM Floppy Not Responding

Post by axeman101 »

Hi,

I've been donated a couple of Atari STFM's but the floppy drives in them only partially work. They won't boot a disk but they will read the floppy directory and display files. On double clicking to view the disk I get a drive not responding error and on clicking cancel the files are displayed fine. However trying to run a prg file just crashes the machine or just returns to the desktop.

I have tried the drives on my working Atari STE and get the same issue and I've tried the working drive from the STE in the STFM's and it works fine so the machines themselves seem to be ok.

I've added a gotek and this works fine in both machines so it looks like its something wrong with the drives.

I've recapped the PSU's on both machines and I've also recapped the drives themselves but no improvement still get drive not responding.

Oh and someone added in a switch to one of the machines which just disables the drive. Its just a single pole switch disconnecting / connecting what looks like the sel0 wire on the floppy cable. Not sure what this was for maybe there was a hd in it at some stage ?

Feel like I'm on a mission from god on this one :)

Anyone got any ideas ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Atari STFM Floppy Not Responding

Post by siriushardware »

First thing which occurs to me is that the drives may only be single sided drives and the discs you are trying to boot are double sided. My 1986 UK STFM came with a single sided drive, later replaced with a non-Atari double sided drive.

The purpose of the switch would usually be to make the externally pluggable drive drive A and the original internal drive drive B, and this is another clue which strongly suggests the internal drive may be single sided - the owner maybe added an external double sided drive and added the switch to make the external double sided drive drive A: so that they could boot from double sided discs.
axeman101
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Atari STFM Floppy Not Responding

Post by axeman101 »

Thanks sirius. That sounds extremely likely.

Return to “Hardware”