CT60/CT63 will be available soon again

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: CT60/CT63 will be available soon again

Post by viking272 »

I spent some of the weekend looking more closely into these Nortel 68060E cards ...I approached a few resellers and one responded.
He had one Nortel NT5D03PB 68060E card that was untested but complete. He sent me a photo of it and you can see the '060 under a heat sink (but not clear enough to see the full CPU details, just it was there).
I said I just wanted it to try and fix an old computer that had some similar chips, so I'm not interested in paying Nortel prices. The upshot was I paid 80 USD including shipping.

The big question is what 68060 cpu is there....EC, LC or RC!

Will report what I find when I get it. With Brexit it could be a few months!
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

I am trying to run FreeMiNT on 060 in LC version. A message appears (not always):

Then comes the line "Launching GEM ... Xaaes":

Then you can only see the "Christmas tree"
What could be the reason?
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I can't see your pictures.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Rarkhaan
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Rarkhaan »

Hi artik-wroc

Could it be a stability issue as it does not occur every time?
Are you running your 68LC060 at stock speed or with some overclocking?
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Also, try to first boot it in TOS and maybe run something like Kronos to see whether the FPU is properly emulated.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

That Rodolphe is a pretty smart fellow :cheers:

While wrestling with the Afterburner flipping IPLx states opposite Falcon COMBEL during reset, was going back through the CT60 Hardware Emulation section.

If I'm wrong, bring me down easy :lol:

Under Falcon Hardware Emulation, " With this Hardware Emulation Window, it is easy to implement a new chip replacing the old one of the Falcon motherboard and at the same address(es)!
Examples:
5: DSP56301 replacing 56001 at the same address!"

Been on a Hardware crash course past couple months (actually 20 years), don't know how many times I thought how easy it would be to mount a DSP on an expansion pin PCB.
But fursure dude, am no programmer.
Looks like he's built in the hard stuff to actually do this. A nice 80MHz DSP could really kick Apex and JPG loading in the butt.
Setting on the CT BUS, imagine there's more than clock speed involved too.

Know Badwolf has ROM contained on Dave's Board, don't know if he was able to maintain the TOS ROM address though.

Heck, had the 060 boards since maybe 2006 or earlier, I'm sure you Gurus have known all along, been pulling all nighters 3X a week just so I don't lose that little flicker of light that shines when learning something:)

So I'm stoked to actually of come up with that realization. At least hope I've interpreted correctly!

Rodolphe, we need dual 060 boards, where are you? :lol:
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

mikro wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 pm Also, try to first boot it in TOS and maybe run something like Kronos to see whether the FPU is properly emulated.
Kronos passes all tests (FPU as 68000)
Rarkhaan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm Could it be a stability issue as it does not occur every time?
Are you running your 68LC060 at stock speed or with some overclocking?
Errors are repeatable (so it is stably not working) :(
Processor is 50MHz, it runs on 66.
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

viking272 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:05 pm I spent some of the weekend looking more closely into these Nortel 68060E cards ...I approached a few resellers and one responded.
He had one Nortel NT5D03PB 68060E card that was untested but complete. He sent me a photo of it and you can see the '060 under a heat sink (but not clear enough to see the full CPU details, just it was there).
I said I just wanted it to try and fix an old computer that had some similar chips, so I'm not interested in paying Nortel prices. The upshot was I paid 80 USD including shipping.

The big question is what 68060 cpu is there....EC, LC or RC!

Will report what I find when I get it. With Brexit it could be a few months!
Fingers crossed you get your purchase quickly and it turns out to come with a working CPU. And I hope it will the "right" one.

Can you please post the picture you got?

Thanks.
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

I managed to find a website where a guy said he pulled three CPUs from those boards and they were all LCs...68LC060R66 I believe. Semi rare with 66 Mhz and good overclocking but no FPU.

Seems like its only the Motorola MVME 17x boards that have 68RC060s (aswell as LCs) and they're 700-1000 euro/$.
e.g. these models: https://www.mvme.com/motorola-vme/mvme177-series/
The MVME160s were 68040s...

Here are some full/RC 68060s in MVME17x* boards (*some are still LC though)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223281353034 ... Sw64xcEPBJ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250696451179 ... XQh6JRF45g (see desc CPU has MMU and FPU)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191293190906 ... SwSTZgWRDz
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

artik-wroc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:17 pmKronos passes all tests (FPU as 68000)
Ehem, that was not really the point. :D

You have to choose 68060 as the FPU, to see whether CT60 TOS emulation layer works.
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

I understand, but it's the only possibility that doesn't end like this (Kronos):

It's different with ZBeach:
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

We still can't see your images...
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

mikro wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:48 pm We still can't see your images...
I see them correctly, just in case I've uploaded them here to the AF
kronos[1].jpg
zbench[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

These are the earlier pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

While I can't explain the corruption when starting xaaes (that really looks like some disk/ram related problem), I can explain why the FPU emulator isn't working. By my own post: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p426241 ;) Getting senile or what.

So yeah, having a LC/EC version in your CT60 will strip you of many applications, regardless whether they were written with 68882 or 68060 FPU in mind.

I would still like to see whether it is possible to reliably run non-FPU stuff at least. So far it hasn't been very convincing. :(
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Acquired a couple of LC 060's for use on the Afterburner/socket adapter pet project.
Define "non-FPU stuff" and might take a look.
Oh, MiNT aside, not touching that DOM storage device :)
Bengy
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Bengy »

Is there a waiting list for this?
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

(an update for those of you who live without Facebook)
CT63_v2022SNAP.PNG
Fellow Atarians, let me present you an updated CT63 design as the development is nearing its end. Now you may have heard from me already 2022 revision will be merely a technological update, but it in the end, there is a few changes I would like to get your feedback on, before RTM. So what is new/changed?
- ATX connector is rotated by 180° to allow better access to a connector locking mechanism. Hopefully, no more fingernail damage from SDRAM. This also enables to re-use 24p picoPSUs (they would be blocked by a capacitors on original CT60/63s
- FAN connector relocated above SDRAM to allow for more elaborate cooling solution (to be introduced later on). The connector is now "standard PC fan" 3 pin Molex
- added fan controller that only turns on the fan when 060 temperature reaches preset level. Optionally, this feature can be switched off via solder jumper to leave CPU fan always on
- Falcon mainboard pigtail cable connector is now standard key coded floppy like connector. This mechanically prevents to plug power pigtail cable wrong way. This way no more risk of killing your mainboard.
- JTAG connector has been changed to 2mm standard. No one should now be able to put a jumper on it now
- CTCM is now integral part of CT60. Yet it can be disabled and ordinary metal can oscillator in DIP7 or DIP14 packaging can be used.
- Quite a few routing cleanups. Decoupling caps tied directly to IC power pins, etc.
Oh yes and the whole design is now migrated to Altium, as is the SuperVidel. After all, Altium generates great design visualizations, does not it? :)

I have also uploaded full featured 3D model of the board to files section, should you want to inspect it closely. SuperVidel v2022 is there already as well.

EDIT: You may also noticed there is a mounting hole in each corner now. Hopefully, there will be some bracket to stabilize CT60 against Falcon mainboard one day.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Looks good. The fan connector is a nice touch and something I miss on my CT60e.

I'm also very interested in hearing about your plans for the SuperVidel. More specifically - how to actually connect the monitor(s)? Having a standard DVI connector *inside* the Falcon occupies a lot of space due to the nature of DVI cables.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

joska wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm Looks good. The fan connector is a nice touch and something I miss on my CT60e.

I'm also very interested in hearing about your plans for the SuperVidel. More specifically - how to actually connect the monitor(s)? Having a standard DVI connector *inside* the Falcon occupies a lot of space due to the nature of DVI cables.
ST v2022 has low profile FPC connector with all analog and digital video signals. Flat cable will then take these signals out of the case, wehre tiny module with DVI connector will be attached to the printer port socket screws.
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

Something along these lines. There may even be an enclosure for the module.
Last edited by mpattonm on Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

Great work. Is SV v2022 compatible with Czuba's CT6x and Willy's CT60e cards too?
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

viking272 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:01 pm Great work. Is SV v2022 compatible with Czuba's CT6x and Willy's CT60e cards too?
Of course.
MegaSTEarian
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Can't wait! Nice work there!
Btw, SuperVidel will support one or two monitors?
Rarkhaan
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Rarkhaan »

Sadly I have no experience with CT6X then can not comment on the design but it looks very professional and promising.
As already said by many: can’t wait 🤪

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”