Hades with a barcode screen

All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Hades with a barcode screen

Post by TTowner »

Turned on the Hades to start working on it and I now have just a barcode displayed on the screen. Check out the img in Professionals http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p175080
I would be greatfull for some help please.
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hades with a barcode screen

Post by Dal »

Aren't you tempted to take it down to a self checkout at your local supermarket and see whether it's a box of cornflakes or a flat screen TV? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

Humour aside, I will be watching for when something nasty happens to your Atari's then I will rip the p*** out of you!
This is not funny at £680.00 How would you like it............. :?:
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dal »

TTowner wrote:Humour aside, I will be watching for when something nasty happens to your Atari's then I will rip the p*** out of you!
Hey we've all had our fair share of expensive breakdowns - I've had too many to mention, but the one that really sticks in my mind is £1000 worth of Fender Stratocaster dropped at a gig (not insured either) - snapped neck and as you can well imagine, a nasty repair bill. Unlike electronics, a guitar is never really the same again after a repair! Unlike guitars, electronic equipment can more often than not be repaired to their former glory. Simbo's initial diagnosis looks positive - so fingers crossed for you.

On a personal note, I certainly don't want to cause any offence to a fellow Atari enthusiast that's not what I'm about so please don't take it personally.
I apologise publicly and unequivocally for any upset my comments may have caused to you and hope we can continue to support each other - there are not many 'Atarians' left without the few remaining holding petty grudges, eh? - That's just self defeating.

Not being one to shy away from public humility (again too many incidents to mention :oops: ) Feel free to have a giggle at my misfortunes - There'll be a few on here. I'm pretty immune to it and find that standing back and laughing at a problem is often the first step in overcoming it (clears my mind of all those "ohhhhhh s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t, s**t,!" thoughts).... Well works for me anyhow.

Also I have just invested in a Falcon with a CT60 - If I blow it into oblivion, then I will be sure to pm you a satisfying picture of it while it's still smoking away, deal? :D

Can we shake virtual hands and move on?
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

I don't want to appear offish, so I will not be making an issue of this, twas not my intention.
It is unfortunate that this Hades is sick.
Having someone make a joke of it does hurt. But I have to appreciate that I am the one with a Hades, something Working or not Its still a machine to be admired. :D
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dal »

TTowner wrote:I don't want to appear offish, so I will not be making an issue of this, twas not my intention.
It is unfortunate that this Hades is sick.
Having someone make a joke of it does hurt. But I have to appreciate that I am the one with a Hades, something Working or not Its still a machine to be admired. :D
Very true!
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:Humour aside, I will be watching for when something nasty happens to your Atari's then I will rip the p*** out of you!
Don't have to look too far.... here's mine Atari not working.... have a stab at it.
It's my £500 bird. :|
And to add to the soreness, I had a bad time soldering 2 resistors....
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
ovni73
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by ovni73 »

Hello All.
This is an old topic but I just found it while searching for other informations.
I had this issue several times in the past amongst other ones with my hades.
I always solved them, including the barcode one, by removing (carefully) ALL the removable components : CPU, RAM, ROM, PICs, Clock ..., and spreading an air propelled product named 'KF contact'. The I put the components back in their support and it's Ok. Replug the video card too.

Until the last one where the kf was not solving it.
This time I decided to replace the poor plastic screws that maintain the motherboard with metal ones.
Now the MB is firmly fixed and the systems works perfectly. I keep my fingers crossed anyway.

I read somewhere that the Hades MB was manufactured using a cold soldering method that could lead to these issues.

Regards.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

Thanks for the tip m8. I will give anything a try so long as it is reasonable to do.
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by bid »

I noted that on Facebook Tony noted that this problem has not been fixed.

I plugged my TT together, which has been out of action for a couple of years, and I have had a similar 'barcode' problem, with red and white lines running down the display.
- I discovered, it was a loose ST-Ram board, and I have ordered some electrical contact spray cleaner from eBay, and plan to remove parts, clean the contacts (remove oxidation) and put it back together.

I ordered the following cleaner, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272435588800 and it might work for you?
- If your lucky, it could just be some oxidised contacts, and might be very easy to start with trying this fix? Take parts off, clean the contacts, and re-assemble?
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

If anyone can keep this topic alive until i get the Hades working again. Please keep the suggestions coming.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

Soon i will re look at this machine and re start the quest to bring life back into it.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

I read the whole old saga, I'm a little confused though, why didn't you send it to medusa systems as simbo suggested 10 years ago. Makes sense to me...
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Medusa had already stopped accepting repairs and also unable to supply updated chipsets. Mine crapped out around 2/12/2011. All I could get from Fredi was a hand drawn schematic and I consider myself lucky to have gotten that.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

I can do the roms. I've already updated some of mine and sent some to user kroll. Fredi gave me the files and I have the hardware/software. Sometimes the chips are hard to find though. I have a few left.
ovni73
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by ovni73 »

Hello All.
I already replied to this thread but I want to give more details.

I had this issue a few times since I got my Hades and solved it the same way.
If you are not familiar with electronic components, be very carefull or ask someone.

- disconnect all the cables at the rear (mouse, keyboard, serial ..) and the mains.
- open the case of your Hades
- Unplug all the cables (ide, scsi, ...) but make sure you note where and how they are connected. If I remember correctly, the flat cables all have the red wire at left.
- remove the graphic card and any other card you may have installed
- unscrew the plate and take the motherbord out of the Hades
- put it on a table.

Now be very carefull. I do have the tools to remove the components but it's an exception.

- remove all the removable components :
Ram
Roms : put a mark on them to be sure to reinstall them on the right support and the right side
Clock
Xilinks : can be done using a very small screwdriver and inserting it in the supports corners. Do not damage the supports too.
Cpu : pay attention too.

If you don't feel comfortable with Xilinks and the CPU, leave then in place.

I assume you successfully removed all the components.
- Spray a contact cleaner product over all the motherboard. I use CRC KF F2 special contact.
- take a soft tissue, like (organic !) cotton hankerchief or paper handkerchief and spray the contact cleaning over it.
- clean very carefully the contacts of the xilinks (the component, not the support) with the tissue. Do not do that with the CPU, you may bend the pins.
- clean the RAMs contacts also.

- Insert the components into their support, be very soft. The CPU may be a bit harder.
- install the motherboard into the case
- plug all the cables. The power cables are the most difficult to plug.
- install the cards.
- connect the cables at the rear.
- switch on.

A comment :
At the beginning, the issue occured more often than now. The problem was likely the poor supports of the motherbord (plastic screws, bolts and supports).
I replaced them with metallic screws and supports (carefully isolated from the MB with electric plastic tapes). Now the MB is firmly tied and much more reliable.

I suspect the xilink contacts to be the culprits.

I hope you'll cure your Hades too.

Regards.
Kroll
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Kroll »

I experienced barcode for the first time on my Hades two days ago. I ran it for the first time after a few weeks.
How surprised I was when instead of booting up my computer I saw "barcode" on the screen. After consultation with colleague RJ1307 and his tips, it turned out that the cause was a broken NVRAM (Dallas chip). It turned out as I read inscriptions on it, that it worked since 1996. :)
After replacing it for a newer one the problem with "barcode" disappeared and Hades works as it should again.

Regards
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Tried that with mine, but maybe I was sold a bad Dallas chip. Something to consider.
tksm
Atariator
Atariator

Post by tksm »

I have tried dallas ds12887a+ and Hades showed barcode but dallas without + works great.
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Is there an easy procedure to test a Dallas chip that's isn't plugged into the main board?
Kroll
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Kroll »

I think it's hard to say something like that, because for example on my Hades Dallas chip with "+" works without problem and there is no barcode.
But I already have a problem to run even the latest MagiC compilation on Hades (but I will write about that in the appropriate thread).
Maybe it depends on the mainboard itself ?
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

I never ran magic on mine, strictly MiNT. I guess I'll grab the Dallas data sheet and see if I can make any sense of it. I'm no tech guru, so it may not do me much good. ;)

Return to “Hades / Milan”