New Firmware, FPGA Configuration and FireTOS

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Galvez, Moderator Team

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: New Firmware, FPGA Configuration and FireTOS

Post by jfl »

Possibly, but this doesn't explain why I suddenly cannot use the resolution I've been using for years with the exact same hardware.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

If I understand you correctly this is with the latest BaS/FireTOS? If have not tried this version myself, but IIRC some changes were done to the initialization of the DVI chip. This *could* be why this resolution is not working.

Btw. it would be interesting to hear *how* it's not working. No image? Any error message from the monitor?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

joska wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:42 pm If I understand you correctly this is with the latest BaS/FireTOS? If have not tried this version myself, but IIRC some changes were done to the initialization of the DVI chip. This *could* be why this resolution is not working.
Yes, with latest BaS/FireTOS, but also with previous working versions, as if the latest versions had an impact somehow even if I reflash the previous ones.
joska wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:42 pm Btw. it would be interesting to hear *how* it's not working. No image? Any error message from the monitor?
I get a black screen, and no message from the monitor. No "out of sync" or the like. At first I thought the system was frozen until I realized it was fully functional, but without a picture.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Outsider thought, as VIDO suggested, did you actually try boot with VGA connector in place and search your old resolution setting?
If it's there, does the FB under FireTOS allow save video modes or "desktop" as other TOS machines?
Then reboot with DVI.
Seems at least a simple test, and let the mystery lay if success :)
ldv-01
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ldv-01 »

Did you already verified FireTOS NVRAM settings via the config CPX ?
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Rustynutt wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:26 pm Outsider thought, as VIDO suggested, did you actually try boot with VGA connector in place and search your old resolution setting?
If it's there, does the FB under FireTOS allow save video modes or "desktop" as other TOS machines?
Then reboot with DVI.
I don't have a VGA-DVI adaptor; I'll try to find one at work.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

ldv-01 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:09 pm Did you already verified FireTOS NVRAM settings via the config CPX ?
I've just tried setting the native resolution of my monitor in the CPX: the result is the same, the machine boots but the screen stays black.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Rustynutt wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:26 pm Outsider thought, as VIDO suggested, did you actually try boot with VGA connector in place and search your old resolution setting?
Then reboot with DVI.
I tried with a VGA-DVI adaptor (my monitor has the 2 ports). The FireBee can use the native 1680x1050 res. via the VGA port. Now why does can it not longer use the same res. via the DVI port?
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Was just thinking it may sense the VGA connection and get you back to where you were, then magic happens in DVI. Not a technical approach.

Return to “FireBee”