New Firmware, FPGA Configuration and FireTOS

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Galvez, Moderator Team

Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

New Firmware, FPGA Configuration and FireTOS

Post by Latz »

Falcon/CT60 90MHz, 14+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 32GB CF card, DVD-RW.
Falcon/CT63 95MHz, 4+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 16GB IDE CF card, CD-RW.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: New Firmware, FPGA Configuration and FireTOS

Post by joska »

Interesting! Is ST-RAM in the flexbus-RAM now, or is it still in main RAM with the software hacks/kludges for video and DMA sound?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

And are all VIDEL video modes fixed? Previously, it was impossible to use ST-Low. Or Falcon 16-bit mode.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Manipulate 16-pixel groups in assembly language.
mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mfro »

joska wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:58 pm Interesting! Is ST-RAM in the flexbus-RAM now, or is it still in main RAM with the software hacks/kludges for video and DMA sound?
It depends. If you use BaS_gcc + EmuTOS, yes, there is "true" ST RAM (i.e. the first 14 MB map to FPGA RAM) and you can use it for screen double buffering or DMA sound as you would on a Falcon.

With FireTOS, no change.
mehlab
Atariator
Atariator

Post by mehlab »

Hello i have a small question
After my update i do not have the menu mint emutos and tos 404 is it normal ?
I am able to boot mint 1.19 with emutos v1.0 and i boot also tos 404 (in this case unable to boot mint)

Thanks by advance for your help
Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Latz »

Hi,
mehlab wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 pmAfter my update i do not have the menu mint emutos and tos 404 is it normal ?
Do you mean the FireTOS OS selection menu? http://firebee.org/fb-bin/page?label=os ... ion&lng=EN
This should show up normally (if DIP switches are set to FireTOS). Are the DIP switches set correct? What keyboard do you use?
mehlab wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 pmI am able to boot mint 1.19 with emutos v1.0 and i boot also tos 404 (in this case unable to boot mint)
I don´t understand. In case FireTOS is set by DIP switches and you don´t see the boot menu, the Bee boots directly TOS404 for MiNT
(and then MiNT, if installed). Perhaps you mixed some things here, please tell us your exact hardware/boot/OS configuration.

Latz
Falcon/CT60 90MHz, 14+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 32GB CF card, DVD-RW.
Falcon/CT63 95MHz, 4+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 16GB IDE CF card, CD-RW.
Gamer
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Gamer »

Just did the upgrade. Everything works just fine. I love the faster boot-up.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Hi all,

Apparently I messed up the flashing. I think I was too impatient while flashing BaS (is this supposed to take several minutes?). Anyway, FireTOS no longer boots (it seems to fail when setting the video mode; I end up with a white screen) and skipping AUTO doesn't help. It's a mess. However, I can boot fine into EmuTOS with the DIP switches set 5-off 6-on. But the doc says not to flash from EmuTOS. Any ideas what I should do now?
Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Galvez »

I'd try to reset the NVRAM settings, I think to remember it's possible to do it during FireTOS booting pressing some key combination but I don't remember which one.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Galvez wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 am I'd try to reset the NVRAM settings, I think to remember it's possible to do it during FireTOS booting pressing some key combination but I don't remember which one.
Good idea but it didn't help (the key combo is CTRL + ALT + (right) SHIFT + UNDO).
I re-flashed FireTOS from EmuTOS but it doesn't change a thing: I still end up with a white screen. I'm tempted to re-flash BaS and FPGA from EmuTOS but the doc says emphatically not to do it so I'm not sure.
mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mfro »

Flashing from EmuTOS will work if you have original BaS (or latest BaS_gcc) installed.

Earlier BaS_gcc versions did not relocate exception handlers to RAM and the flasher failed to disable interrupts during flashing which could lead to exception handlers called in flash sectors that have been erased, causing the machine to lock up during the flash process.

If you have original BaS (or latest BaS_gcc, where this has been fixed) installed, it should be safe to flash from EmuTOS.

That being said, I would not reflash BaS (better save this as last resort). I'm pretty sure you still have a corrupt NVRAM problem. The white screen indicates FireTOS came up already, so you most likely do not have a BaS problem at all (and reflashing it will probably not fix anything).

If EmuTOS comes up fine, you could run an NVRAM setter (like Uwe Seimet's BOOTCONF that runs fine with Vincent's m68kemu). Make sure you reboot using the Firebee's reset button after that (*not* EmuTOS' Quit/Reboot menu), otherwise your changed settings might not be written back to the PIC properly.
Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Latz »

Hi JFL,

sorry to hear about this issue :cry:
This is strange. Once loaded any system software file into FLASH_CF.PRG, flashing itself should be finished after ~20 seconds.
Can you describe exactly what you have done and what happened while your first flashing attempt?
jfl wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 amI re-flashed FireTOS from EmuTOS but it doesn't change a thing: I still end up with a white screen. I'm tempted to re-flash BaS and FPGA from EmuTOS but the doc says emphatically not to do it so I'm not sure.
This depends which BaS is currently on your Bee.
- with any "normal" BaS (CodeWarrior compiled) which are in the "Firmware packages" there should be no problem flashing under
EmuTOS with FLASH_CF.PRG.
- If you have an older version of Bas_gcc, flashing from EmuTOS will brick the Bee. As there were several (test-)versions of
BaS_gcc out there, we wrote the warning "in general".
- The problem is fixed in BaS_gcc 20200623.

So i don´t know what happened, i flashed packages back and forth here several times without issues.
If you did not use BaS_gcc yet, flashing from EmuTOS should be safe.
You can contact me per email, if you want.
Edit: Perhaps a faulty newdesk.inf file?

Lars
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Sorry if I wasn't clear so here's what I did exactly:
-- I flashed BaS (didn't see the dots light up in FLASH060.PRG so I thought it was either very slow or very fast so waited about a minute just to be safe);
-- then I flashed FPGA (same thing, see above);
-- then I flashed FireTOS (dots lighted up fine);
-- then reboot, and I get a white screen during MiNT startup, about when XaAES is setting things up.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

mfro wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 amIf EmuTOS comes up fine, you could run an NVRAM setter (like Uwe Seimet's BOOTCONF that runs fine with Vincent's m68kemu).
I tried this solution but I get an illegal instruction when running Bootconf via 68kemu.
Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Latz »

Hi,
jfl wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:38 am-- I flashed BaS (didn't see the dots light up in FLASH060.PRG
-- then I flashed FPGA (same thing, see above);
That´s unusual. I guess BaS and FPGA were not flashed at all. Perhaps files are corrupted somehow? When flashing BaS or FPGA,
an alertbox should come up first (with Yes, Yes all and No buttons), did it appear?

Latz
ldv-01

Post by ldv-01 »

You may try BOOTCONF 1.32. On my FB, It loads fine in 68K EMU (and yes, 2.01 crashes with an illegal error).
jfl wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 am
mfro wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 amIf EmuTOS comes up fine, you could run an NVRAM setter (like Uwe Seimet's BOOTCONF that runs fine with Vincent's m68kemu).
I tried this solution but I get an illegal instruction when running Bootconf via 68kemu.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Latz wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:45 amWhen flashing BaS or FPGA,
an alertbox should come up first (with Yes, Yes all and No buttons), did it appear?
Yes it did, and I selected "yes all" for each.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

ldv-01 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 amYou may try BOOTCONF 1.32. On my FB, It loads fine in 68K EMU (and yes, 2.01 crashes with an illegal error).
Thanks. Version 1.32 worked but it doesn't change a thing: after a reset via the FB button the values are back to the defaults. I wonder if I should re-flash the FPGA. Can I do this via EmuTOS?
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

mfro wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 am Flashing from EmuTOS will work if you have original BaS (or latest BaS_gcc) installed.
How do I know if I have the original BaS or not? I don't think I ever flashed BaS since getting my FB but I may be wrong.
Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Latz »

Hi,

AFAIK there´s no version output about BaS and FPGA in "normal" usage, but it´s displayed if you use a nullmodem cable
and an external computer with a console. http://firebee.org/fb-bin/page?label=se ... bug&lng=EN

Latz
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

jfl wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:08 pm Hi all,

Apparently I messed up the flashing. I think I was too impatient while flashing BaS (is this supposed to take several minutes?). Anyway, FireTOS no longer boots (it seems to fail when setting the video mode; I end up with a white screen) and skipping AUTO doesn't help. It's a mess. However, I can boot fine into EmuTOS with the DIP switches set 5-off 6-on. But the doc says not to flash from EmuTOS. Any ideas what I should do now?
I basically the same thing happen to me. I was flashing and the flashing program crashed. I was not able to bring anything up but EmuTos. I ended up re-flashing the Firebee using same hardware I bought online and a program called CF Flasher version 3.1. Worked like charm. Check out my explanation here: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=32411 The name of the string is "Flashing the Firebee using a PC". There is also a peice of hardware that I got off of Amazon that works and is a a little cheaper. The hardware from P&E Micro included the cable that is needed for the flashing.
neoman
Atarian
Atarian

Post by neoman »

Really nice to see some progress here. I bought a FireBee long time ago and never was able to actually use it. Now that I see they worked a bit on MIDI stuff I really hope to see this completed one day.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

neoman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm Really nice to see some progress here. I bought a FireBee long time ago and never was able to actually use it. Now that I see they worked a bit on MIDI stuff I really hope to see this completed one day.
Me too actually. I have a HUGH collection of MIDI programs and files on hand. I used them when I had my Hades060. I would like nothing more than use them on my Firebee.
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jfl »

Well, I've managed to get back to a running system, with newest BaS, FPGA and FireTOS, apart from one issue: I can no longer user the native resolution of my monitor (1680x1050x32, see picture below). I did the following to try to remedy this:
-- flashed from the PC the rescue package firmware from firebee.org
-- flashed the original firmware provided with each FireBee
-- flashed the FireTOS version I used before
-- hooked up another 22" monitor, another cable

Nothing doing. I can use a wide (and somewhat exotic) array of resolutions, but not the one I want. Even though it is properly detected. Any ideas?
IMG_20201003_093512 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

I managed to get some resolutions which I couldnt use directly connected to the DVI port using DVI to VGA adapter. Maybe you could try that.

Return to “FireBee”