Aranym 1.1.0 on Linux/Ubuntu

WinSTon, Nostalgia, MSA Converter, FloImg, Makedisk and all the others.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Aranym 1.1.0 on Linux/Ubuntu

Post by joska »

Trying to run Aranym on a laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have downloaded Aranym MMU x86 64 bit appimage, and while Aranym itself starts I have several issues with it. The most important one right now is that mouse grabbing does not work. Aranym attempts to grab the mouse, but as soon as I move the mouse it is ungrabbed. Also, the mouse is invisible all the time on the entire screen, not just over the Aranym window. It doesn't work in fullscreen mode either, and when leaving fullscreen mode the resolution is not restored. Any tips on how to get this working?

I have also tried to run AFROS, but TOS just boots to the desktop. But I will look more into this when/if I get the mouse working.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Aranym 1.1.0 on Linux/Ubuntu

Post by Faucon2001 »

Humm, strange. I am running the same version in JIT and Std mode on Xubuntu 18.04 LTS (X11) and don't have any of the issues you have.
The mouse grabbing works perfectly well on my setup.
Are you working under Wayland or X11 ?
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon CT60, STE, BeeKey, BeePi.
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Solved - sort of. Mouse grabbing does not work via remote desktop or TeamViewer, but works fine (except for the oversensitive mousepad) on the real thing. A bit disappointing as the idea was to remote to this machine from my work PC, but maybe I'll set up a real Atari in the office instead :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Ok, spent a little bit of time yesterday trying to get this working. I ran into two issues:

1. Mouse sensitivity is very high when using trackpad in fullscreen. Moving my finger 1/4 across the pad will move the mouse pointer across the entire screen (1600*900). This has been an issue for ten years or so.

2. Starting Aranym in fullscreen ends in an immediate crash 95% of the time. Switching to and from fullscreen will also very often end in a crash. Tested in Ubuntu 20.04LTS and in Ubuntu 21.10 on two different PC's. Tried both X and Wayland on 21.10, no difference.
aranym-crash.png
I'm using "EasyAraMint". If I test plain EmuTOS I can't use fullscreen for two reasons:

1 - Switching to fullscreen changes resolution. Switching back does not.
2 - After switching back from fullscreen all I get is a black window that does not respond to window widget actions. I have to kill it manually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

PeterS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by PeterS »

I had the same issue with the 2 installs of aranym/afros that I've done recently.

I changed one line in the afros config to use host mouse which helped a lot but the mousec still tends to jump around.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Some progress.

1. Using host mousecursor fixes the problem with TeamViewer AND the oversensitive touchpad.
2. Fullscreen crashing does not happen when OpenGL is enabled in ARAnyM. However, keyboard does not work in this case. Also, Videl output is messed up when OpenGL is enabled.
Jo Even

Return to “Other emulators & tools”