New release MiniPOS for Atari ST

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

New release MiniPOS for Atari ST

Post by robv »

A while back I released my homebrew POS system that I'm using in my bicycle repair shop. Got many nice reactions; it even got shared on Twitter :)
Now I'm releasing an update with new webhook functionality. You may wonder, why would a minimal POS need new functionality? I'll tell you why.
I have one of these cheap wireless card payment devices in the shop. When a customer wants to pay by card (or NFC) I have to start an app on my Android phone and punch in the amount. It then connects to the device via Bluetooth and the payment can be made.
One day, after having mislaid my reading glasses, I accidentally punched in 2.00 instead of 20.00. The customer got away with a cheap repair and never returned to pay the remaining 18.00 euro. Being a low budget DIY guy, I had to think of something to prevent this from happening again.
So I installed the free Macrodroid scripting app on my phone and wrote a small script that will start the payment provider app and punch in the amount. It is triggered by a webhook url passing the amount as a variable.
You could probably do that with curl under Mint, but I'm running MagiC and want the program to run on old TOS as well. Then I found this tiny superfast command line utility GAPFTP.TTP (from 1999!).
When selecting Card payment in the new MiniPOS program, you can now choose to activate e-payment. If you do, it will now write a single-line file with the webhook and call the ftp utility which uploads the file to my VPS. On the server I have incron watching the upload folder. On file creation, it will pass the content of the file to curl, et voilà, the Macrodroid script gets activated in a flash. The biggest delay is the startup time for the app :wink:
I must admit I get a kick seeing modern tech being commanded by a simple text based prg done in 30-year old software :D
I've put the latest (v0.50) source and binary (including GAPFTP) on Github https://github.com/winterhard/minipos
For more on Macrodroid's webhook see https://medium.com/@macrodroid/introduc ... 60e2ee140d
Rob
engaged with Atari ST since 1987
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: New release MiniPOS for Atari ST

Post by stormy »

You honestly deserve a medal, I think you are one of the last people using an Atari in the workplace. I am very impressed by your ingenuity :)
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

stormy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:37 pm You honestly deserve a medal, I think you are one of the last people using an Atari in the workplace. I am very impressed by your ingenuity :)
I remember reading in Jamie Lendino's 2019 book on 16-bit Atari that the ST is still being used by some professional musicians. Maybe we should do an inventory to see who's still using Atari in a productive/creative/business environment? :D
Rob
engaged with Atari ST since 1987
Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ato »

Fantastic stuff, Rob!
kni
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by kni »

wow, fantastic!
some Falcons, some STe's, some ST's, some STacy's, some Jaguars, some Lynx's and one TT :mrgreen:
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

Nicely done Rob, I like it!! :cheers:

Return to “News & Announcements”