Atari maniac

Re: New game: l'Abbaye des Morts for the Falcon

Post by Richard »

Right, tied that version of Gembench and I got some different results:

Int Div: 3.110 (100%)
Float Math: 0.415 (100%)
RAM: 3.130 (102%)
ROM: 2.460 (91%)

That with reference as Falcon, with FPU checked.

So that does look like the FPU is working?
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

That's really a nice game.
I've finished it twice (with 2 different endings).

Is there a third ending possible or only 2 ?

Regards
Laurent
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

LaurentS wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:58 pm That's really a nice game.
I've finished it twice (with 2 different endings)
Congratulations! You're almost there ;)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Richard wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 am So that does look like the FPU is working?
Yes. try downloading the game again. And possibly boot to a clean system before starting the game.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
MM41
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by MM41 »

No FPU in my Falcon :(
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

That's really a nice game.
I've finished it twice (with 2 different endings)

> Congratulations! You're almost there

Any tips ? ;)
12 hearts perharps ?
I've tried again, but nothing jumped to my eyes :)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

PM me and describe the two endings you have seen, and I might be able to give you a tip or two.
Jo Even

Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

Tried the download again and tried running it with a minimal boot. This time after the loading appears I do see maybe 8 bombs as it returns to the desktop.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Where do you run the game from? Floppy or harddrive? Do you run it from TOS or another OS? Is your Falcon modified in any way?

This game has been tested on plain Falcon, Falcon+CT2, Falcon+CT60 and Falcon+Afterburner, so either the files are damaged or there's something with your Falcon that's either broken or simply not tested.
Jo Even

Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

Hi, have tried running from floppy and on the internal CF hard disk. Running it from plain TOS. Only modifications are the 16MB RAM board and what looks like a clock buffer mod.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

If your Falcon is otherwise working normally it is almost 100% certain that the game files are corrupted somehow. Would it be possible for you to send me the files (abbaye.prg and game) that's on your Falcon?
Jo Even

Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

joska wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:24 pm If your Falcon is otherwise working normally it is almost 100% certain that the game files are corrupted somehow. Would it be possible for you to send me the files (abbaye.prg and game) that's on your Falcon?
Sure will do.

Thanks.
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

Happy new year atarians friends

I've finally finished this wonderful game. I really love this game. Very hard, but so exiting.
For Jo, as a little proof that I finished the game, the final scene takes place in a level that changes its name during the game (the name of this level is different at the beginning and at the end of the game).
It's a very hard game, but if you take the time to learn each level, it becomes a bit mechanical to walk through and cross each level.

And I really love the mix between Spectrum style and Falcon enhancement. It gives a very pleasant atmosphere to the game.

Thanks again Jo.
Last edited by LaurentS on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Congratulations :) I think you are the first person besides the development team that has completed this game.
Jo Even

Skuggemannen
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Skuggemannen »

LaurentS wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 am Happy new year atarians friends

I've finally finished this wonderful game. I really love this game. Very hard, but so exiting.
Consider me thoroughly amazed! Now we only need the completion time to define a base for doing speedruns.
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

LaurentS wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 am And I really love the mix between Spectrum style and Falcon enhancement. It gives a very pleasant atmosphere to the game.

Thanks again Jo.
I think this nails it - the old school game play and screen-by-screen nature of it plays so well, and yet the graphics and sound are top notch. Haven't been able to play for the last few weeks due to commitments, but hope to get back into it this week!
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Richard wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 pm
joska wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:24 pm If your Falcon is otherwise working normally it is almost 100% certain that the game files are corrupted somehow. Would it be possible for you to send me the files (abbaye.prg and game) that's on your Falcon?
Sure will do.

Thanks.
Hi Richard, where did you buy your FPU from? I had a similar experience with my Falcon. I bought mine off eBay a few years ago and I remember Bad mood (doom game) kept crashing on me. Dml gave me an FPU test program and it was calculating stuff incorrectly, so it was a fake FPU! I then bought one from Exxos and everything worked properly.

So it is possible your FPU could be a fake?

Luckily I still have the program:
fputest.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

stormy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Sure will do.

Thanks.
Hi Richard, where did you buy your FPU from? I had a similar experience with my Falcon. I bought mine off eBay a few years ago and I remember Bad mood (doom game) kept crashing on me. Dml gave me an FPU test program and it was calculating stuff incorrectly, so it was a fake FPU! I then bought one from Exxos and everything worked properly.

fputest.zip
I did indeed get it from ebay, I'll give your test program a go. Many thanks.
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

Richard wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm
stormy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm

Sure will do.

Thanks.

fputest.zip
I did indeed get it from ebay, I'll give your test program a go. Many thanks.
Got round to giving it a try, and all tests passed. Its frustrating being the only Falcon user who can't seem to run this game :(
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Richard try booting with ctrl pressed so no accessories etc and try again. If not could it perhaps be some issue with your HDD driver?
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb

Return to “News & Announcements”