Re: New game: l'Abbaye des Morts for the Falcon

Post by agranlund »

Wow! Super nice :)
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

LaceySnr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 am Wow, this is hard, managed to get 3 crosses so far and that's it. Been wanting to play this for a while, thank you for bringing it to a machine I own! First time I plugged in my ArcadeR joystick too and it worked great. This'll keep me busy for a while no doubt :)
Locomalitos games are (IMHO) pure gold.

You should try Maldita Castilla: a sort of better (read: at least a bit less impossible) version of Ghosts n Goblins. Curse of Issyos is great too.

I highly recommend them. :thumbs:

Maybe if Joska has some spare time on his hands to do another conversion.....lol
mbricout
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by mbricout »

Thank you Joska! I played the C64 version quite a bit, and now you are giving me a reason to get the Falcon out again :-)
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

What a nice game, but really hard.
2 crosses so far. But I'll manage to do better ;)

Thanks again, it's so fun to play and the atmospher is great (music + graphics)
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

Many thanks for all the hard work. I've played the Spectrum version on my Next.

I'd be interested to know more about the development, how long it took, the techniques involved, what dev environment you used, compilers, libraries etc.

I notice the source is not included. Don't you have to distribute it under the GPL license of the SDL port?
GadgetUK164
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Fantastic! Will check this out =D

Edit: Works perfectly - love it!
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

alexh wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 am I notice the source is not included. Don't you have to distribute it under the GPL license of the SDL port?
Only the graphics and maps are taken from the SDL-version, and these are not GPL-ed. The code turned out to be totally unsuitable for a slow machine like the Falcon, even on the CT60 it barely ran. I eventually ended up rewriting everything. I should have based it on the Megadrive version instead, that would have been much easier. If I had spent more time analysing the code initially I would have saved a lot of time.
alexh wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 am I'd be interested to know more about the development, how long it took, the techniques involved, what dev environment you used, compilers, libraries etc.
I started on it back in February and has worked on it on and off since then. I actually had it somewhat finished already in May, using music ported from the Spectrum-version. Then I got in touch with Skuggemannen, who had released the album Shades of Circuits earlier this year. I asked if he would be interesting in making some music for this game, which he was :)

We spent a lot of time on the music and sound effects for this game, I think he did a fantastic job with the soundtrack. It was not given that it would be chip-music, in fact we spent quite some time on MODs before going back to maxYMiser. He made some really great mod-tracks, but due to stability-issues with DSPmod we had to drop this. I think I've spent more time on the sound code than anything else - first when porting the Spectrum ProTracker 3 music, then spending six weeks trying to get DSPmod to run stable and finally implementing the SNDH playing routines for the maxYMiser tunes.

The game is written almost entirely in C, with only some very small parts written in assembler. All coding done on my Milan060, all testing done on my two Falcons (one with CT60, and one with an Afterburner). The code is pretty clean and system friendly, it runs fine under MiNT with memory protection enabled and cleans up after itself.

Debugging on real hardware is not as easy as using an emulator, especially not when writing software that grabs both screen and keyboard. I'm using the serial port for this, GEMDOS text output is redirected to the serial port and then I simply print debug statements to stdout whenever necessary.

I wrote some simple build-scripts, that would automate the build (generating sprites, convert bitmaps, convert all sound/gfx binaries to C and assembler source, compile, pack and transfer (PARCP) the finished binary to the Falcon for testing). All graphics was edited using Kolourpaint on my PC and PIXart on my Falcons, and I wrote some conversion tools to cut sprites and transform the bitmaps.

All music is composed by Skuggemannen using maxYMiser on a real Falcon. Sound effects are edited and converted to STE format using Audacity on my PC running Linux.

Btw I can't praise PARCP enough, it has been absolutely invaluable. The entire edit-build-test cycle was extremely efficient thanks to PARCP, it usually took 10 seconds or less from starting the build until the compiled binary was ready to run on my Falcon.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

LaurentS wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:07 pm What a nice game, but really hard.
Thank you. Yes, it's a hard game, but I have managed to complete it without cheating a couple of times. Of course, I have spent quite a few hours testing so...
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

The game is really nice & policed and I like the music a lot! Death scene is also appropriately gruesome. :-)
Kroll
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Kroll »

Thanks, it is very nice game
lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Post by lotek_style »

Really nice game. Please more of this :)

https://demozoo.org/productions/287909/
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

> What a nice game, but really hard.
> 2 crosses so far. But I'll manage to do better

6 crosses until now ;)
Some of them still look impossible to get, but I'll find a solution ;)
Thanks again
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by neanderthal »

Neato,had some time to test it and seems to run fine on my mint 1.15 combo aswell including sysexit,alltho my mint is a recompiled version since the ctrl-C killing init or something bugged me when using old GEM at startup ;)..And yeah must admit trixy game :)..Tested with stick and pad so far.Ok feel on both,nice.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Thanks.

Yes, it will work with older versions of MiNT too, except for the keyboard. FreeMiNT only recently implemented the TOS 4 Kbdvbase-4 vector which I'm using. The game will run just fine and you can play with pad and joystick, but you can't exit to the desktop.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

There is a small video on Indie Retro News, captured from a real Falcon. Thank you to whoever did that, I wanted to do this myself but was unable to get my cheap videograbber to work with any of my PC's.
Jo Even

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

9 crosses for now ;)
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Nice one! I got up to 7 the other night - definitely a bit easier when I've not had too many beers. I thought there was a bug with getting the first cross in the catacombs at first but eventually realised I was just jumping too early. Had a few late night sessions on it now, and it's been so refreshing to play something like this on a machine other than my PC. I really should play more games on my old machines!
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Music is great, with the various tracks for each location.
Also YM music perfectly fits the pseudo spectrum/retro style.
Nice work!
kni
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by kni »

Wow! Super nice :) Works perfectly on my Falcon!
some Falcons, some STe's, some ST's, some STacy's, some Jaguars, some Lynx's and one TT :mrgreen:
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

LaurentS wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 pm 9 crosses for now ;)
Hi, 11 crosses yesterday ;)

I've visited all the rooms. Very nice game.
Isn't there a little bug with a plateform in the screen with the 4 hanged men ? (the upper right plateform) ?
I can't walk on it.

Regards
Laurent.
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

Finally got round to trying this, and then realised I had not fitted an FPU in my Falcon. So popped an FPU in, and now when I start it all I get is the 'loading' screen for a few seconds then it drops back to the desktop. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Richard.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

LaurentS wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 am Isn't there a little bug with a plateform in the screen with the 4 hanged men ? (the upper right plateform) ?
I can't walk on it.
It's not a bug, it's just me being slightly evil.
Richard wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:39 am So popped an FPU in, and now when I start it all I get is the 'loading' screen for a few seconds then it drops back to the desktop. Any suggestions?
Are you sure your FPU works? Can you run a CPU-test with GEMbench?
Jo Even

Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

I ran GB and got the following from the CPU tests:

Int Div: 5.675 (100%)
Float Math: 7.330 (100%)
RAM Access: 29.240 (64%)
ROM Access: 47.905 (99%)

and in the system it states: LineF FPU inst.

So I assume that means its working?
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

I had a problem with my FPU on my falcon with Quake from doug Little.
Some instructions were not working well whereas the whole FPU seemed to work.
I had to change it to a new one and Doug's program worked.

I Just share an old experience.
Laurent
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm I ran GB and got the following from the CPU tests:

Int Div: 5.675 (100%)
Float Math: 7.330 (100%)
RAM Access: 29.240 (64%)
ROM Access: 47.905 (99%)

and in the system it states: LineF FPU inst.

So I assume that means its working?
No, this is the results you get without an FPU. With FPU the Float Math test should complete in less than half a second. Which version of GEMbench is this? You can try the attached version, I grabbed it directly from my Falcon and it does detect and use the FPU.
gembench.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

Return to “News & Announcements”