New game: l'Abbaye des Morts for the Falcon

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

New game: l'Abbaye des Morts for the Falcon

Post by joska »

I have just released a Falcon030-version of the well known platform game l'Abbaye des Morts ("The Abbey of the Dead").

More information: https://atari.joska.no/abbayedesmorts/

Original soundtrack by Skuggemannen/Dry Bone Records. Hook your Falcon up to a decent stereo when playing this game.

Gameplay is slightly extended compared to the original version. You will be given some subtle and some not so subtle hints while playing, so pay attention. If you don't you will not be able to complete this game.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: New game: l'Abbaye des Morts for the Falcon

Post by Atari74user »

Very nice, thank you!
:cheers:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI, Analog 8, GigaFile & CT60e
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, Exxos v2.2 Booster, TOS switcher, OverScan, UltraSatan, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, ADAP, ADAP II, ADAS-ST, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMPII, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Yes, thanks for this port!
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Well done Jo! :cheers:

Like I said before, I love Locomalito games. Looks like a great conversion.

Im curious though...an FPU??
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

Nice game + port, Jo!
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 pm Im curious though...an FPU??
Yes. It makes things a lot easier for the programmer, especially when I'm using the floating point-based enemy maps from the SDL version. Recreating the timing from the original game using integer maths is not easy. See the MSX port for an example of that :) Still a good game, but plays very differently from the original.

And yes, I know there are ways around that but to be honest I was a bit tired of this project so I decided to stick with the floating point logic.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Ok then. Fair enough. Wasnt expecting it to be those reasons.

The Falcon (after about 2 years of inactivity) came out a few weeks back, in anticipation of this title.

However, after about a day of use, the PSU failed! :x

Looks like I will be on Hatari for this now for the time being!
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Sorry to hear about your Falcon.

You can play this game in Hatari, but it will be slower than on real hardware (Hatari only supports 50Hz screen update) and the music/sound-effect balance is way off.
Jo Even

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

What an awesome Christmas gift! A new game for the Falcon030! Thanks Jo Even!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Anima »

Nice! Thanks for this little present. :cheers:
LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaurentS »

Thanks a lot for this nice present for christmas. My Falcon is happy ;)
That's awesome.
tjam
Atari User
Atari User

Post by tjam »

Great game, thanks! :cheers:
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Just had a go on Hatari.

Great job all round guys! :D

As far as I can tell, its very close to the original. I love the F030 touches. The soundtrack is very ST and very moody; and the track when he is looking outside at the blowing leaves (forgotten the screen name) is really nice!

Also, nice touch for including Jagpad support.

I can see what you mean about some of the problems with Hatari; the first screen slows down when the Catholics appear. Also, like you said, slightly slower.

I look forwards to being able to play it 'properly' soon. :cheers:
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Whoop, can't wait to check this out! Hopefully get the chance to play tonight. Interested that the min specs say 030 + FPU - are you making intentional use of the FPU?
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Nevermind!

"Yes. It makes things a lot easier for the programmer, especially when I'm using the floating point-based enemy maps from the SDL version."

I really shouldn't skim read so much
:)
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Great stuff... thanks for the game !!!
:thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:41 pm As far as I can tell, its very close to the original.
Yes, that was one of my goals. The enemy maps are lifted directly from the SDL version, which mimics the original version very closely. So enemy movement should be almost identical. Same with the level maps, these are also taken from the SDL version.

What *could* be a bit different is edge/floor detection and enemy sprite collision detection. I have tried to make this identical to the original, and I think I pretty much succeeded in that. But I'm sure fans of the original version will notice differences.

And what *is* different is the protagonist movements. It's slightly faster than in the original, especially when crawling. I found some of the screens just too difficult without this.
mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:41 pm I can see what you mean about some of the problems with Hatari; the first screen slows down when the Catholics appear. Also, like you said, slightly slower.
If your computer is capable of emulating a stock Falcon at 100% speed you should not notice any slowdowns when playing. The difference is in pace - on real hardware it runs at 60Hz, while Hatari always use 50Hz regardless of videomode. So compared to a real Falcon the game will run noticably slower.

Another problem with Hatari is that the YM/DMA balance is off. In Hatari the sound effects are barely audible.
Jo Even

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

joska wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 am What *could* be a bit different is edge/floor detection and enemy sprite collision detection. I have tried to make this identical to the original, and I think I pretty much succeeded in that. But I'm sure fans of the original version will notice differences.
Hey dont sweat it. You are not in a competition to make an exact replica! :D

Your team has done a great job. Each system has their own set of nuances that affect the ability to produce a 'carbon copy'. However, it adds character.

You have definitely captured the essence of the original. Be proud of a superior conversion! :cheers:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Jo Even

viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

Great work Joska.
Have you let the site maintainer know?
https://locomalito.com/abbaye_des_morts.php
I see at the bottom of his page are notices of other ports - would ne nice to see your version there :cheers:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I have not been able to find Locomalito's email address, so no, I have not notified him.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

joska wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 am I have not been able to find Locomalito's email address, so no, I have not notified him.
https://twitter.com/Locomalito
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I know, but I don't use Twitter.
Jo Even

LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Wow, this is hard, managed to get 3 crosses so far and that's it. Been wanting to play this for a while, thank you for bringing it to a machine I own! First time I plugged in my ArcadeR joystick too and it worked great. This'll keep me busy for a while no doubt :)
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Amazing conversion Joska thank you. Working superbly on my machine.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb

Return to “News & Announcements”