A small present from the 90s...

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

A small present from the 90s...

Post by mikro »

While being stuck at home I had been thinking what project could I finish to utilise my idleness. Naturally, I had been watching YouTube instead. ;-) Somehow I ended up watching a video about the Acorn and out of curiosity I looked up some demos. To my surprise, the first demo I found was an Amiga demo ported to Acorn with sources available.

After a brief look I realised that this must be a job for couple of hours tops so I what? Started another project! :) Fortunately I wasn't mistaken and it really took only a couple of hours.

So here you are, a Falcon060 (feel free to give it a try on CT2/AB040) port of Megademo IV 2: https://mikro.naprvyraz.sk/files/mdiv2.zip

While the demo is somewhat ... odd and perhaps not worth spending too much time on it, it was a really nice exercise to play with the advanced SuperVidel video modes. Oh, right, I have totally forgotten to mention that this is perhaps the first Atari demo to support 24-bit depth. ;-)
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: A small present from the 90s...

Post by mlynn1974 »

That's a beautiful little demo. I don't have a Falcon060 but it's nice to see it on YouTube.
Good to know it was converted from the Acorn Archimedes (which was an amazing machine) to the Falcon.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

I see what you mean by the oddness.

Still, good value for a couple of spare hours. I've spent much longer periods of time with less impact or use.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

mikro wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 pm While being stuck at home I had been thinking what project could I finish to utilise my idleness.
How did that happen? ;) Maybe i should send you some topics of my todo list, that should keep you busy for a couple of years... :D
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Atari030 »

Its not super quick on my CT2, but it works well enough. 3.80 fps. :-) Nice. 0.9 fps on a stock (14MB/68882) Falcon.
Zippy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Zippy »

mlynn1974 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:54 pm Good to know it was converted from the Acorn Archimedes (which was an amazing machine) to the Falcon.
Did you ever have an Archimedes? I had an A3000 for a few months in 1991 (until I swapped it for a Jap Super Famicom) and made a couple of simple demo screens on it to have a play with ARM code. I did more with that A3000 in a few months than I did with the Amiga A500 I had for about 1.5 years around the same time. I still have the 4 volume RISCOS programmers reference manuals boxed set around here somewhere. :)
Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ato »

Zippy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 am Did you ever have an Archimedes? I had an A3000 for a few months in 1991 (until I swapped it for a Jap Super Famicom) and made a couple of simple demo screens on it to have a play with ARM code. I did more with that A3000 in a few months than I did with the Amiga A500 I had for about 1.5 years around the same time. I still have the 4 volume RISCOS programmers reference manuals boxed set around here somewhere. :)
Drool... A friend of mine had an A3000 which he lent me for like half a year. The moment I saw Zarch on it I was sold. This machine was so far ahead of the competition, it was just unbelievable.
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

I didn't have an Acorn Archimedes but Waldo (from A Clockwork Orange) got an A3000 with a broken keyboard IIRC at the First (and only?) Scottish Computer Fair I think in 1991. I don't know what happened to Waldo, I hardly ever saw him after that. Colin was working on the Pandora's Box demo at the time.

The computing department had one at school as an Econet ADFS server and there was one in the art department. In the last week of school in 1990 me, my pal and the art teacher went to some educational show at an exhibition space at the Glasgow School of Art. My mate showed off some pictures he had drawn in an art package and I was there for "technical assistance" (which took all of 5 minutes). I also saw a sine-wave scroller demo on an Archimedes at Computer Depot in Buchanan Street the day I went to collect my first ST a couple of weeks later.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

mlynn1974 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 pm I didn't have an Acorn Archimedes but Waldo (from A Clockwork Orange) got an A3000 with a broken keyboard IIRC at the First (and only?) Scottish Computer Fair I think in 1991. I don't know what happened to Waldo, I hardly ever saw him after that. Colin was working on the Pandora's Box demo at the time.
I worked with Waldo back in the early-mid 00's. We bounced around various locations (driving every day to Dundee at one point :-/ for an ill-fated Carmageddon playstation thing).

Pretty sure he left for Australia some years ago and not heard much from him since then.

Not sure what happened to Colin. Neil is in California though, still in touch with him.

Frank still reads this board (Hi Frank!)
mlynn1974 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 pm I also saw a sine-wave scroller demo on an Archimedes at Computer Depot in Buchanan Street the day I went to collect my first ST a couple of weeks later.
I remember that place :-) In fact I found my way into ICE games after talking to someone in that shop. They were just at the other end of Bath street.

And I do remember seeing an Archie in there at some point too.
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

Not sure what happened to Colin
Colin, as in Colin Watt? (With a nom de scene of 'ACO')

I'd like to know how he is/what he is up to. He actively sought me out back in the Maggie era.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
Zippy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Zippy »

The Computer Depot... what a great place, a real Aladdin's cave where you never knew what (or who) you might find. I don't remember buying much (if any) ST software there but I did get quite a bit of BBC micro software there in the 80's. Shops like that and Microworld and Glasgow Computer Center were all lost when PC world and Priceless Computing took over and it marked the end of an era as computers became more mainstream in the early 90's.

I'll attach the old Acorn A3000 disk image, has a couple of demo screens (with source code) + an even older BBC Basic program I wrote in the mid 80's for the board game "Star Fleet Battles".

So the 3 executable files are:
PARALLAX : 4 way scroller demo
SOFTSCROLL : Scroller + sprites demo (while running the background direction can be changed with number keys on numeric keypad + sprites pattern can be changed with function keys)
STARFLEET : Star Fleet Battles combat simulator, in BBC Basic. From BBC Micro (Mode 7) but runs fine on the A3000

I've only tested with Arculator v0.99 and sometimes the "Softscroll" screen crashes after a while, not sure if that's an emulation issue, the sound module playback or just my buggy old code. :)
code.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Archie *droool*

Never had contacts but also one from 1995-early 1997. Dunno if the disks survived. Maybe I'll rescue it from the attic and fit a Gotek.

My brother bought it in 1990 or 1991, I first inherited his good ole 520STM and years later his Archimedes A3000 with 2MB RAM.
It beat the Amiga to death but so few software and noone had one here in DE :P
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

CiH wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 pm Colin, as in Colin Watt? (With a nom de scene of 'ACO')
I'd like to know how he is/what he is up to. He actively sought me out back in the Maggie era.
Yes Colin Watt. After the ACO times, he would often visit while we were working on the Jag stuff, lived in the next street from our 'office'.

No idea where he is now though.

Return to “News & Announcements”