New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

10p6 wrote: What would be easier, having a reset circuit, or putting a switch on the cable so one of the ground lines could be changed for the reset line? or if not switched, what would happen if that reset line was accidentally grounded?
The reset circuit consists of a resistor and a capacitor, so nothing complicated at all. See here:

https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... ard-for-tt

That circuit did not work with my keyboard, I used a 47k resistor and a 2.2uF capacitor instead. This is the same as the original Mega STE keyboard.

If you choose a switch instead and forget to flip it, the reset will be permanently grounded and the keyboard will not start. No damage though.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

10p6 wrote:Here is a 3D model render of a new project I am working on.
Ok, I took a closer look at the design and have some comments.

1. It is very similar to my DDD case, but appears to be around 10mm taller. That's good, the DDD case is just as tall as the original case which is a bit too tight IMO.

2. The CD slot. Opening the CD will be a bit tight, and may even conflict with the keyboard case you've designed. Also, is CD something that will be used today? It was OK for backup purposed back in the day, but nowadays most users will use ethernet, PARCP-USP or CF/SD for these things. Maybe a more generic slot would be better, preferably with the same height as the floppy drives. Personally I would have made a panel with power, 030/060-switch, reset-button and an SD-slot for my Falcon/CT60.

3. Keyboard connector. Since this case is taller than the original there is space for a keyboard connector on the back. I don't like connectors on the front of the case, just too easy to damage. And it doesn't look very good IMO. Also, keep the right side free of connectors, this makes the case more mouse friendly. That's the only thing I hate about the STM case, the mouse/joystick connectors prevents you from placing the floppydrive next to the computer.

4. The Fuji on the top looks a bit tacky I think :)

5. Floppy drive on the front panel is a good idea, although I don't think many will have two drives. That's not even possible on the Falcon I think. But good to have a choice, and the second drive bay can be used for other things.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:
10p6 wrote: What would be easier, having a reset circuit, or putting a switch on the cable so one of the ground lines could be changed for the reset line? or if not switched, what would happen if that reset line was accidentally grounded?
The reset circuit consists of a resistor and a capacitor, so nothing complicated at all. See here:

https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... ard-for-tt

That circuit did not work with my keyboard, I used a 47k resistor and a 2.2uF capacitor instead. This is the same as the original Mega STE keyboard.

If you choose a switch instead and forget to flip it, the reset will be permanently grounded and the keyboard will not start. No damage though.

Hi again. I read on a few Atari books that one can just tie the reset line between a momentary button and ground on the actual case. Do you know if that is true?
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:
10p6 wrote:Here is a 3D model render of a new project I am working on.
Ok, I took a closer look at the design and have some comments.

1. It is very similar to my DDD case, but appears to be around 10mm taller. That's good, the DDD case is just as tall as the original case which is a bit too tight IMO.

2. The CD slot. Opening the CD will be a bit tight, and may even conflict with the keyboard case you've designed. Also, is CD something that will be used today? It was OK for backup purposed back in the day, but nowadays most users will use ethernet, PARCP-USP or CF/SD for these things. Maybe a more generic slot would be better, preferably with the same height as the floppy drives. Personally I would have made a panel with power, 030/060-switch, reset-button and an SD-slot for my Falcon/CT60.

3. Keyboard connector. Since this case is taller than the original there is space for a keyboard connector on the back. I don't like connectors on the front of the case, just too easy to damage. And it doesn't look very good IMO. Also, keep the right side free of connectors, this makes the case more mouse friendly. That's the only thing I hate about the STM case, the mouse/joystick connectors prevents you from placing the floppydrive next to the computer.

4. The Fuji on the top looks a bit tacky I think :)

5. Floppy drive on the front panel is a good idea, although I don't think many will have two drives. That's not even possible on the Falcon I think. But good to have a choice, and the second drive bay can be used for other things.
1. This case is actually the same height as a Mega case, so I am already thinking of raising it by maybe another inch, possibly more, especially as many want room for ports on the back which it currently does not have. Do you know by any chance how high the highest components sit above the Falcon motherboard (like CT60 with Super Videl)? Since this is plastic I may also need to add some extra front to back truss bracing to support a monitor, so I want to make sure that does not get in the way. Nice work on the DDD case, I had not actually seen it before, I like it though.

2. If I raise the case, then I may convert the center to a full size 5 1/4 bay, which then can be adapted to numerous things. Thanks for the input on panels for switches. I shall see how I can include that in a eye pleasing but functional way.

3. Good points. But a keyboard port on the back. I was actually toying with the idea of using the old joystick ports. One for a RJ12, and the second possibly for a USB C (not for USB though) so if someone wanted to move the keyboard mouse / joystick ports, they could use the USB C cable instead of the RJ12 to backfeed the Mouse / Joystick wires back to the main case, similar to what Atari did with the original 520. Thoughts?

4. I wanted the model to look Atari, in reality if this was ever made, I am sure Atari would be "Hell no' if they found out lol.

5. The Falcon can actually have two floppy drives I read, however having the normal one and a Gotek, especially if could be made to switch as main boot drive would be nice.

Let me know what you think.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by mrbombermillzy »

10p6 wrote:
mrbombermillzy wrote:Well its a thumbs up from me. I would love to put a F030 in that. Its based on a similar design to the DDD case, but better layout IMO.

If you need an external Mega ST keyboard case for measurements or whatever, I MAY be able to help. PM me.

Thank you.. DDD case? The steal Desk topper case or other?

It is ST and STE keyboards and cases I am looking for this to test. I need a US or UK keyboard for my Mega STE though depending on what you are asking for it.
Yes, I meant the steel DDD case which has a mainly blank front (like Joska has, apparently).

Sorry, I only have a beaten up keyboard shell for the MST. It ould have probably been ok for measuring though. Never mind.

Anyway, my opinion... I would go ahead with what you have already, perhaps instead have a full height CD slot. (Really like what you did for the 2nd picture version BTW).

You can get standard 3.5 and 5.25 inch adapters for things like sd card slots,USB/etc, so any modern adapters (SD/USB,etc) should be ok fitting in these standard enclosure types. That means you should be able to please everybody.

And I vote leave the Atari sign on the top! :P

Other than that, Joska puts some good points out.
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

mrbombermillzy wrote:
10p6 wrote:
mrbombermillzy wrote:Well its a thumbs up from me. I would love to put a F030 in that. Its based on a similar design to the DDD case, but better layout IMO.

If you need an external Mega ST keyboard case for measurements or whatever, I MAY be able to help. PM me.

Thank you.. DDD case? The steal Desk topper case or other?

It is ST and STE keyboards and cases I am looking for this to test. I need a US or UK keyboard for my Mega STE though depending on what you are asking for it.
Yes, I meant the steel DDD case which has a mainly blank front (like Joska has, apparently).

Sorry, I only have a beaten up keyboard shell for the MST. It ould have probably been ok for measuring though. Never mind.

Anyway, my opinion... I would go ahead with what you have already, perhaps instead have a full height CD slot. (Really like what you did for the 2nd picture version BTW).

You can get standard 3.5 and 5.25 inch adapters for things like sd card slots,USB/etc, so any modern adapters (SD/USB,etc) should be ok fitting in these standard enclosure types. That means you should be able to please everybody.

And I vote leave the Atari sign on the top! :P

Other than that, Joska puts some good points out.
Hi again,

I think with the input of some, I think I may raise the height of the case an inch or so and have a full size 5 1/2 bay as I mentioned in my reply to Joska as the floppy drives need to be accessible at all times. As for that bloody Atari logo lol...
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I dont think adding some extra height will be any issue. PC desktop cases can get quite 'fat'. It would be sensible to have it miss the keyboard thats infront of it!
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

mrbombermillzy wrote:I dont think adding some extra height will be any issue. PC desktop cases can get quite 'fat'. It would be sensible to have it miss the keyboard thats infront of it!
I agree 100 percent. Hence why I am going to use a Mac-book pro style keyboard and lower it to 1/2 mm travel instead to get the clearance. Hell no. I want this to be fully functional, but I will keep it in the same style as it is. :-)
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Follow your gut. Others opinions help with practicalities, but at the end of the day its your design. Do whatever you feel is right.

Of course, if you are going for max sales , then maybe make it a bit more universal and listen a bit more to your potential buyers! lol.

I recently bought an Amiga Checkmate 1500 case which has similar ideals to yours. Maybe have a look what he has done there with drive slots/ports:

https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/Introduction.aspx
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

10p6 wrote:I think with the input of some, I think I may raise the height of the case an inch or so and have a full size 5 1/2 bay
An inch is quite a lot, I think that will ruin the sleek look of your design. I think you will have to come up with something that can break up the large front if you increase the height that much.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:
10p6 wrote:I think with the input of some, I think I may raise the height of the case an inch or so and have a full size 5 1/2 bay
An inch is quite a lot, I think that will ruin the sleek look of your design. I think you will have to come up with something that can break up the large front if you increase the height that much.
Decisions decisions. I actually just updated the main render with 5 photos of the 3D print.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

Out of curiosity - what kind of printer do you have? And how much does the case weigh?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
User avatar
Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by Ektus »

saulot wrote:10p6: I think that space for cd rom in f030 is redundant, I would rather see an external cf/sd slot (so there would be internal hdd and additional mounted on cf for data exchange with pc).
That's what the second 3,5" bay is for. There are card readers around that would fit that space nicely.
saulot wrote: I also think that external keyboard case is redundant too, main box would be sufficient.
Me too. For keyboard and mouse, there are better solutions like Eiffel. I won't move my falcons into that kind of case, being in fully stuffed tower cases, but if I were in need of expanding one today, this would be the way to go.


Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

For me the keyboard is important, I don't like to use common PC keyboards with my retro computers. I have enough Mega ST/STE and TT keyboards to cover my needs, but if I didn't I would much prefer a recased Falcon/ST keyboard over any generic PC keyboard.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:Out of curiosity - what kind of printer do you have? And how much does the case weigh?
Hi. I have two which can print this. A Formbot T-Rex 3 IDEX machine, and a Chiron (large but low end machine.) With supports the case weighed 835 Grams, without 630 grams, but I cheated and only used 1.2mm walls, 1.2mm top and bottom and 15 percent infill as I did not want to wait a week for it to print. Still pretty strong though. The x pattern you can see on the case is the infill patten from the inside.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:For me the keyboard is important, I don't like to use common PC keyboards with my retro computers. I have enough Mega ST/STE and TT keyboards to cover my needs, but if I didn't I would much prefer a recased Falcon/ST keyboard over any generic PC keyboard.
I agree. The idea of this project is to keep the spirit of Atari design, but where it still can be used like it was made for in the simplest way possible. I get to see PC keyboards way to often. I want to be able to escape to the fun old days.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by DarkLord »

joska wrote:For me the keyboard is important, I don't like to use common PC keyboards with my retro computers. I have enough Mega ST/STE and TT keyboards to cover my needs, but if I didn't I would much prefer a recased Falcon/ST keyboard over any generic PC keyboard.
This. Totally.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Bielsko-Biala, PL
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by tzok »

I really like the idea of keeping the original bottom part of the case. I'd insist on placing the keyboard connector on the add-on part, without need of modifying the original bottom part of the case. A good place for it would be right side, in the area where FDD originally was located. As for the floppies - every ST can support two FDDs.
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

tzok wrote:I really like the idea of keeping the original bottom part of the case. I'd insist on placing the keyboard connector on the add-on part, without need of modifying the original bottom part of the case. A good place for it would be right side, in the area where FDD originally was located. As for the floppies - every ST can support two FDDs.
I agree, and that what this project is about, flexibility and upgrades with no damage to the original Falcon at all. I have though about the keyboard connector on the right hand side, but some have mentioned about it being in the way of the original Atari external floppy drive. Do you know how tall the original floppy drive is by any chance?

Thanks.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 5031
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Florø, Norway
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by joska »

External floppy is one thing, I doubt many STF/E-owners use these now. What's more annoying is to have a cable (maybe even a spiral cable) just where you move the mouse around. If you've ever had an STM (or Amiga 600 for that matter) you know what I'm talking about. Not to mention the TT/MSTE keyboard and it's silly mouseport.

With the extra height you're planning there's plenty of space on the rear or the left side, where there's already plenty of connectors and cables. This (left side) is also where the Mega ST/STE/TT keyboard socket is. If you have the keyboard socket on the right side, the TT keyboard cable will be too long and just in the way, the Mega ST keyboard cable will be too short.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by DarkLord »

Have to agree about my Mega STe keyboard - really wish the mouse port had been on the
back plane instead...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

joska wrote:External floppy is one thing, I doubt many STF/E-owners use these now. What's more annoying is to have a cable (maybe even a spiral cable) just where you move the mouse around. If you've ever had an STM (or Amiga 600 for that matter) you know what I'm talking about. Not to mention the TT/MSTE keyboard and it's silly mouseport.

With the extra height you're planning there's plenty of space on the rear or the left side, where there's already plenty of connectors and cables. This (left side) is also where the Mega ST/STE/TT keyboard socket is. If you have the keyboard socket on the right side, the TT keyboard cable will be too long and just in the way, the Mega ST keyboard cable will be too short.

I am still thinking that the best place to plug it in would be where the current Mouse / Joystick port is underneath. Even having the mouse their too would not be bad if not having to swap it for game controllers. Thoughts on this?
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by DarkLord »

Okay, just "IMHO", but I always loathed the mouse/game port placement
underneath in the 1040 style cases from day one...

One of the first things I did was to buy extenders and bring the connections
out from underneath.

Would much have preferred them on the back or side.

PS Just realized you might have been talking about the Mega ST/STe keyboard.
If you were, I was okay with the Mega ST's arrangement but still would have
liked to have seen them on the back of the computer.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
User avatar
10p6
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by 10p6 »

DarkLord wrote:Okay, just "IMHO", but I always loathed the mouse/game port placement
underneath in the 1040 style cases from day one...

One of the first things I did was to buy extenders and bring the connections
out from underneath.

Would much have preferred them on the back or side.

PS Just realized you might have been talking about the Mega ST/STe keyboard.
If you were, I was okay with the Mega ST's arrangement but still would have
liked to have seen them on the back of the computer.
Hi. Sorry I meant keep the Mouse and Joystick ports under my Mega style Keyboard, but have the RJ12 socket where the old mouse port would have normally been under the computer. That way the keyboard is not unplugged very often and would be fine connecting underneath, and swapping controllers and the mouse under the new external keyboard would be much easier. I am waiting for some parts, so I shall see about making room for them at the back too.
10p6 Projects: Atari PlayOne, Atari Mega Case, Universal Game Controller, Universal Sound Bar.

http://www.facebook.com/10psix
http://www.youtube.com/10p6
User avatar
tksm
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:35 am

Re: New Atari Mega style case for STF / STFM / STE and Falcon, Maybe

Post by tksm »

Hi.
This project is a great idea but please consider special case version for Atari Falcon with CT60 and CTPCI.
Very important is space for PCI board and mounted PCI card's such as Radeon, Ethernet, Usb (there is 4 slot's).
Post Reply

Return to “News & Announcements”