Breaking news about Atari Portfolio Repairs

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Breaking news about Atari Portfolio Repairs

Post by rcamp48 »

I have exciting news about Atari Portfolio Repairs, Don is able to replace screen ribbons and keyboard Mylars for the Atari Portfolio, but the price will not be cheap, I am talking about $90 US for repairs , if they can be done, I have just ordered 3 Mylar keyboard replacements from Best Electronics , all 3 of them are spoken for already, but I can order more and put them in myself, if the problem is just keyboard Mylars , screen ribbons Don has to do, I have not attempted that yet. Does anyone want to order some keyboard Mylars for your Atari Portfolio? Keep in mind what Brad has said about keyboards on Atari Portfolio's , as they are all 30 years old , and made by Mitsumi, (real cheap !!!), they are ALL going to fail eventually. And Atari Portfolio's not turning on the biggest reason this happens according to Brad is that they short out , the processor is designed in the Atari Portfolio to turn off the screen if this happens. I have one Atari Portfolio on its way here for the same problem , my old one has repeating keys but the screen works, and I have promised to do the third one.

Taking apart the Atari Portfolio is easier than you think it is, with my own broken one I will do it , but any others I think I will let Don do BUT Don is swamped with work from me already. The biggest problem with taking them apart is making sure that the power unit DOES NOT detach from the main board , I have a solution in mind for that one , the connections on those two areas are poor in design so I may actually put a piece of tape on both ends of that power ribbon cable to MAKE SURE that does not happen.It happened to me once on my old one , and I had Don fix it.

This problem should not actually happen again as I had taken apart my old Atari Portfolio about 4 times as I had always the same problem with the keyboard, with new Mylars I should only have to put them in ONCE, and hopefully problem fixed!

Send me a PM if interested , by the way Don was delayed last night figuring how to wire up the small chip last night on the IDE adapters , it will be one circuit board that plugs in directly to the parallel port, he said hopefully tonight it will be finished , and then I can test it as soon as possible , he will only make one until it has been tested by my self , you will have a 90 degree male Parallel port on a small circuit board, with the chip in between, and a male IDE plug soldered onto the board , maybe 90 degrees, anyways it has been well thought out. I think a separate 5 volt power supply will be used , and I have ordered a small female to male IDE to CF adapter (with get this plug and play wifi) off Amazon for $10.90 Canadian.

I guess a link to that one is in order, eh guys and gals?

https://www.amazon.ca/Bootable-Converte ... 48&sr=8-13

Lots of stuff on the horizon for Atari Portfolio, including a Backlit kit for the Atari Portfolio, (not mine)...

https://www.backlight4you.com/EL-Panels ... 2NPSVopIrk

Happy Atari Portfolioing eh?

Russ
Now supporting Atari Portfolio , my archives are still being maintained.
BBS is now up again as an Atari BBS, run on PC, cause I sold everything but my Atari Portfolio.
Note: Atari Portfolio IDE CF kits are being made. bUt has been put on hold due to prototype problems
Note that my BBS is back online with Win-server 8.0454.8 at telnet://christfollowersbbs.ca and https://christfollowersbbs.ca
rcamp48
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Breaking news about Atari Portfolio Repairs

Post by rcamp48 »

I have exciting news , I have successfully taken two broken Atari Portfolios and combined them into one working unit. I am in the middle of testing this fixed unit , I will be upgrading it to 640 K in the next few weeks, I have an extra motherboard that I will be working on, not one of my working Portfolios, I know that it works too...just the keyboard and screen are dead, gonna keep the third one for parts to fix for parts, if anyone had dead Atari Portfolios, I can probably fix them. Now that I have successfully repaired one unit I am hoping to fix others. I am dropping the $90 US fee to repair them, so just send me a PM if you have broken Atari Portfolios and I can probably not only fix them but upgrade them to 640 K. I will not be doing the soldering I will get Don to do it all, I just do the non-soldering work, too fine for me to do. I am finding that the dangling power supply piece is no problem as long as I am really careful. I also have an extra keyboard with French keys on it , you will have to replace the keyboard membrane as its bad, but if anyone speaks French and wants it send me a PM, it will come with a broken screen , (lines on it , maybe fixable, probably the cable, just for parts). Russ

PS: The IDE Kit prototype is getting closer and closer to being finished, I will keep all of you posted on when it is ready. Russ
Now supporting Atari Portfolio , my archives are still being maintained.
BBS is now up again as an Atari BBS, run on PC, cause I sold everything but my Atari Portfolio.
Note: Atari Portfolio IDE CF kits are being made. bUt has been put on hold due to prototype problems
Note that my BBS is back online with Win-server 8.0454.8 at telnet://christfollowersbbs.ca and https://christfollowersbbs.ca
cedars
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Breaking news about Atari Portfolio Repairs

Post by cedars »

Hi ,
I have a Portfolio which is not working right but I an in the U.K, can I ask which country you are in?
Look forward to your reply,
Paul

Return to “News & Announcements”