EmuTOS 1.1.1

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

anodyne
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

EmuTOS 1.1.1

Post by anodyne »

The EmuTOS developers are pleased to announce the release of EmuTOS 1.1.1.

In case you didn't know, EmuTOS is a GEMDOS-compatible operating system for Atari computers and is a free and open source replacement for common TOS images for Atari emulators.

EmuTOS 1.1.1 fixes a bug in EmuTOS 1.1 which caused a crash when double-clicking on the desktop background. Our apologies for not catching this before the original release.

You can easily test EmuTOS on your real Atari hardware. Get emutos-prg*.zip from the link below, extract the PRG matching your favourite language, put it on a floppy (or hard disk partition), run it on your Atari, and you're done!

You can download your preferred binary archive here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos ... tos/1.1.1/
darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: EmuTOS 1.1.1

Post by darwinmac »

Thanks for the quick bug release.

Bob C
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Appreciate it! Thanks!
Lostboysix
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Lostboysix »

Thank you very much for your great work! :)
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Great stuff !!! Thanks Roger and the the team behind it.

BTW, I have a dumb question.
it says AES colour icons.... does that means the desktop icon being in colour?
My desk resolution set to 256 colours but still getting non-coloured icons.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GokMasE »

wongck wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:35 am it says AES colour icons.... does that means the desktop icon being in colour?
From what I understand after following the mailing list: While colour icons are indeed supported by the AES, the desktop application built into EmuTOS does not yet seem utilize them.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

GokMasE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am
wongck wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:35 am it says AES colour icons.... does that means the desktop icon being in colour?
From what I understand after following the mailing list: While colour icons are indeed supported by the AES, the desktop application built into EmuTOS does not yet seem utilize them.
Oh Ok. Thanks.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it possible to run FreeMint on top of Emutos using TOS=GEM?
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

I downloaded and flashed version 1.1.1 and it crashed when I tried to run on boot-up. I thought it was something I did, so I re-flashed an earlier version of EmuTOS and it loaded up fine. I get the notice in the upper corner the version of EmuTOS and then the initial screen pops up. But when it goes to load in the desktop it crashes and gives some sort of Panic access error. Is there some special instillation process I need to do?
Last edited by Gamer on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

Gamer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm I downloaded and flashed version 1.1.1 and it crashed when I tried to run on boot-up. I thought it was something I did, so I re-flashed an earlier version of EmuTOS and it loaded up fine. Is there some special instillation process I need to do?
What computer are you running it on and what size of EmuTOS are you using?

Nothing special should be needed.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

DoG wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm
Gamer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm I downloaded and flashed version 1.1.1 and it crashed when I tried to run on boot-up. I thought it was something I did, so I re-flashed an earlier version of EmuTOS and it loaded up fine. Is there some special instillation process I need to do?
What computer are you running it on and what size of EmuTOS are you using?

Nothing special should be needed.
I am using a Firebee. I did not think there would anything else required. So far, with EmuTOS I just flashed it and it always came up.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

I was able to get it to load, but I had to use the DIP switch method and have EmuTOS boot directly. I have a TT keyboard attached to my Firebee. It works just fine, but I would like to be able to load it in the other also. Any other Firebee owners experience this situation?
ragnar76

Post by ragnar76 »

No. I haven't flashed my FB for ages. There was no need for
• FireBee • Falcon060 • Falcon040 • Falcon030 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
anodyne

Post by anodyne »

Gamer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm I downloaded and flashed version 1.1.1 and it crashed when I tried to run on boot-up. I thought it was something I did, so I re-flashed an earlier version of EmuTOS and it loaded up fine. I get the notice in the upper corner the version of EmuTOS and then the initial screen pops up. But when it goes to load in the desktop it crashes and gives some sort of Panic access error. Is there some special instillation process I need to do?
Hi!
Some questions:
1. What was the crash? (a picture of the crash message screen could be helpful)
2. Which version of EmuTOS ran OK?

I always run EmuTOS directly (rather than under FireTOS), which is probably why I didn't see your problem.

Roger
Kairos
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Kairos »

Have tried out EmuTOS 1.1.1 and am very impressed. While using it I came to think of things I'd like to have fixed and also of things I'd love to add to it.

First the bugs.

The EmuTOS version that is to be loaded from a selfbooting floppy doesn't work for me. It bombs with two bombs.

My computers are a 1MB 1040STF with TOS 1.0 US and a 1040STE with 4MB of RAM, TOS 2.06 Swedish.

The Swedish localized EMUtos now incorrectly shows the dates of files in the format DD/MM/YYYY, while the Swedish standard is instead YYYY-MM-DD. The hours and minutes are correct though, in 24 hour format, being HH:MM

Won't work with Arkanoid 2.

And here's the wishlist, without any concern for what is reasonable or whether I'm asking for too much:

Built in RAM disk, ideally of zero size at the beginning, then expanding by getting filled and also shrinking as emptied.

Communications program in ROM like the one ST Book has. (For situations when the floppy drive is dead or malfunctioning) To support both RS232 and Parallel port (PARCP).

Alternative ASCII character table (like the one in MS-DOS) that makes more sense than hebrew characters.

Possibility to shift between built in alternative keyboard layouts, for all of us polyglots

A built in printer driver that produces PDF files

A decent VT100 terminal
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

anodyne wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:35 pm
Gamer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm I downloaded and flashed version 1.1.1 and it crashed when I tried to run on boot-up. I thought it was something I did, so I re-flashed an earlier version of EmuTOS and it loaded up fine. I get the notice in the upper corner the version of EmuTOS and then the initial screen pops up. But when it goes to load in the desktop it crashes and gives some sort of Panic access error. Is there some special instillation process I need to do?
Hi!
Some questions:
1. What was the crash? (a picture of the crash message screen could be helpful)
2. Which version of EmuTOS ran OK?

I always run EmuTOS directly (rather than under FireTOS), which is probably why I didn't see your problem.

Roger
Hello Roger. Glad to see you are still around. The version that ran ok was 0.991. In fact all versions have ran fine until this new one. I can run
EmuTOS directly from now on if that is the only option. I just would to solve this problem if there is a solution. Below is a picture of the crash:
EmuTOS.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anodyne

Post by anodyne »

[/quote]
Hello Roger. Glad to see you are still around. The version that ran ok was 0.991. In fact all versions have ran fine until this new one. I can run
EmuTOS directly from now on if that is the only option. I just would to solve this problem if there is a solution. Below is a picture of the crash:

EmuTOS.JPG
[/quote]
Thanks for the picture. It's crashing very early on, in code that is executed fine when run "natively" (i.e. via setting the DIP switch). So I wonder if it could be some kind of obscure bug in FireTOS. Are you running an old or current version of firmware / FireTOS ?

BTW, 0.9.9.1 is almost 4 years old. I gather that this is the first time you've updated EmuTOS since then?

Roger
anodyne

Post by anodyne »

Kairos wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:51 pm Have tried out EmuTOS 1.1.1 and am very impressed. While using it I came to think of things I'd like to have fixed and also of things I'd love to add to
it.
Thanks for the kind words! You have a very long list of comments / suggestions, so I'd like to suggest that you join the EmuTOS mailing list and submit them there. That's where the developers and other interested parties mostly hang out, and it's what I prefer to use to track bugs / fixes / suggestions etc. Answering questions there saves me from repeating myself across various forums, giving me more time to write code :-). Also, you may find an answer to your questions in the mailing list archives.

In fact, I encourage anyone who has an interest in EmuTOS to join the mailing list. You can join by going to this URL:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos ... utos-devel

Roger
czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by czietz »

Kairos wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:51 pm The EmuTOS version that is to be loaded from a selfbooting floppy doesn't work for me. It bombs with two bombs.
Note that you have to write the image to a single-sided floppy disk (or exclusively to side 0 of a double-sided disk). Your observation (crashing with a bus error = two bombs) is often indicative of not writing the image correctly. In any case, to avoid such trouble, I usually recommend using the .PRG version of EmuTOS instead if you want to try it first.
Kairos
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Kairos »

anodyne wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 pm
In fact, I encourage anyone who has an interest in EmuTOS to join the mailing list. You can join by going to this URL:

Roger
Thank you for the link.
Actually I attempted to do just that on my own, but I guess I simply had a bad google day.
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

Kairos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:56 am
anodyne wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 pm

Roger
Thank you for the link.
Actually I attempted to do just that on my own, but I guess I simply had a bad google day.
I just tested the mailing list and signed up without issues. When you add yr email address you are sent a confirmation email to click on to confirm you want to subscribe.
Thanks Roger and the team for the updates.
Kairos
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Kairos »

czietz wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:42 am
Note that you have to write the image to a single-sided floppy disk (or exclusively to side 0 of a double-sided disk). Your observation (crashing with a bus error = two bombs) is often indicative of not writing the image correctly. In any case, to avoid such trouble, I usually recommend using the .PRG version of EmuTOS instead if you want to try it first.
I believe I followed the instructions.
I used the suggested "rawwritewin-0.7" Windows program, a USB floppy drive and a DD diskette. No parameters or anything entered by me.

The .PRG version of EmuTOS worked like a charm though.

I don't really get why both these versions are presented to the user? How do they differ, user-experience wise? Are there any advantages of the one before the other? Also, why just SS?

The friend who turned me to EmuTOS said it was "nothing special", but I think he said it because there aren't many flashy features. I don't agree with him, I think Emu is a remarkable project.

Where he may be right is perhaps in the flashiness department. Niccolo Macchiavelli said something about all people having eyes to see with, while few people having sense enough to understand with.
Last edited by Kairos on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kairos
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Kairos »

viking272 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 am
I just tested the mailing list and signed up without issues. When you add yr email address you are sent a confirmation email to click on to confirm you want to subscribe.
Thanks Roger and the team for the updates.
No, I had no problem joining, I had a problem finding where to join.
Now I know.
czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by czietz »

Kairos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 am I believe I followed the instructions.
I used the suggested "rawwritewin-0.7" Windows program, a USB floppy drive and a DD diskette. No parameters or anything entered by me.
I never used that program, but it's plausible (based on the crash you're seeing) that you used a double-sided disk and rawwritewin was not "intelligent" enough to fix that for you (based on the fact that the image is 360k in size). Perhaps the readme can be modified to make this detail clearer.
Kairos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 am Also, why just SS?
To support early Ataris with a single-sided drive. (Although one might question how many of these survived until today.)
Kairos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 am The friend who turned me to EmuTOS said it was "nothing special", but I think he said it because there aren't many flashy features. I don't agree with him, I think Emu is a remarkable project.
Thank you. The project goal is not to have "flashy features" (such as multi-tasking), though. Also please take into account that ROM size (192k, 256k) very much limits what can be done. That being said, EmuTOS has many outstanding features. Builtin support for harddisks, PC partitions and PC-like FAT16 filesystems alone makes it special.

As Roger said, this discussion is best conducted on the mailing list, though.
Kairos
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Kairos »

I think that supporting users with SS diskdrives is well meaning but pointless.
How about at least making TWO images, one SS and one DS? Then check the tally. How many downloads were SS and how many were DS.

Return to “News & Announcements”