Has anyone tried replacing the TT floppy drive with a combo floppy and USB card reader?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Has anyone tried replacing the TT floppy drive with a combo floppy and USB card reader?

Post by thesofa2 »

Just furckling around in my box of bits and I found the Mitsumi FA402M combined floppy drive and memory card reader and i wondered if anyone had transplanted their TT floppy drive with one of these? It has a 9pin USB cable attached as well as the floppy cable interface.
It is a standard 3.5" format but I would need to alter my case to allow a card to be inserted. there are 4 separate slots for CF/Microdrive, s/m, m/s, SD/mmc. I have thunder, Storm and Lightning VME installed so interface should be no problem, Of course this would remove the use of USB sockets from my TT, Hmmmmm.
See it here, not my advert https://picclick.co.uk/Mitsumi-FA402M-F ... 36971.html
TT030, 3 STS ONE HAS TOS1.0 AND 2.06 SWITCHABLE, THE OTHER TWO ARE UNTESTED AS YET, JUST BOUGHT FOR SPARES, SADLY MY ttm194 DIED AND WAS SLUNG OUT, SO NOW WAITING TO GET AN LCD SCREEN HOOKED UP
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Has anyone tried replacing the TT floppy drive with a combo floppy and USB card reader?

Post by stormy »

I don't think it works. I tried a CF reader on mine and it didn't seem to work. Having USB ports is far better than a card reader.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Has anyone tried replacing the TT floppy drive with a combo floppy and USB card reader?

Post by frank.lukas »

try it ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

frank.lukas wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:47 pm try it ...
I shall
TT030, 3 STS ONE HAS TOS1.0 AND 2.06 SWITCHABLE, THE OTHER TWO ARE UNTESTED AS YET, JUST BOUGHT FOR SPARES, SADLY MY ttm194 DIED AND WAS SLUNG OUT, SO NOW WAITING TO GET AN LCD SCREEN HOOKED UP
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

STORAGE.PRG
This driver manages USB flash drives and other USB drives, including card readers.

Considering the support of USB floppy drives there is some improvement in this software release: The previously published driver could cause problems if you changed the disk. The new driver R226 and above does not yet solve the problem completely, but improves media change detection.

---------------
my usb cardreader works ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

JUst tried it and the floppy drive does not want to work on my TT. Bummer.
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

All PC Drives are default set to DriveSelect 1 (Drive B). Set it to DriveSelect 0 (Drive A) and it should work ...
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

frank.lukas wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:32 am All PC Drives are default set to DriveSelect 1 (Drive B). Set it to DriveSelect 0 (Drive A) and it should work ...
Easier said than done, there are no jumpers visible and I cannot find a manual online!
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

Some drives has solder pads onto the pcb ...

Take a good picture.

Or make a adapter swap shugart pin 10 and pin 12
fdd.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

I have a floppy cable from an old PC with a twist in the cable, will that suffice?
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

mitsumi floppy10.jpg
Nope, tried the twisted cable nothing goes so here is a pic of part of the underside of the drive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

Also here is a picture of the connector with pins missing, am i right in thinking pin 1 is bottom left with pin 2 above it?
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

thesofa2 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm I have a floppy cable from an old PC with a twist in the cable, will that suffice?
PC cable do not work.
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

frank.lukas wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:16 pm
thesofa2 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm I have a floppy cable from an old PC with a twist in the cable, will that suffice?
PC cable do not work.
No it did not but I have taken a picture see above.
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

When you swap pin 10 and 12 the Drive LED must go on when you address the drive ...
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

thesofa2 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm Also here is a picture of the connector with pins missing, am i right in thinking pin 1 is bottom left with pin 2 above it?
Yes.

Also, in the bottom row all pins are ground (odd numbering).
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

thesofa2 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:43 pm mitsumi floppy10.jpgNope, tried the twisted cable nothing goes so here is a pic of part of the underside of the drive
... measure out Shugart Pin 10 goes to a pad DEN_0 and Shugart Pin 12 goes to a pad DEN_1 ...
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

Sorry Frank, no it does not i checked continuity between those as you said and nothing. Besides which they are too small for me to see and solder! so I shall wait for a replacement drive from Exxon
thesofa2
Atariator
Atariator

Post by thesofa2 »

Thank you one and all for your suggestions.
OK, so I spent the morning adding and removing solder blobs to the ID connection and testing for continuity on this drive, only to be interrupted by the postman bringing my replacement drive from Exxos. I plugged it in and problem solved, I have kept the drives and if I get housebound for any reason I will continue to play.

Return to “Professionals”