POV 44 & 45 - Good images?

This is where you post all your requests for demos, intros, pubtros etc...

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: POV 44 & 45 - Good images?

Post by RealLarry »

mOa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:01 am Here is POV 45 100% fixed at last!

Land of The Giants was STOS so fixed for STe too

Enjoy!
Great work! Confirmed working on a real STE, Thank you!
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

Beat me to it! Did you find out what was wrong with Jive Bunny's Scroller? Also, is there a utility to write a POV bootsector?
I see you changed it to MOA-POV which is a nice touch.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
mOa
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by mOa »

Sorry to beat you but the fix was really easy, believe me. I just replaced corrupted files with good ones.
Here's the bootsector prg. It is very nice. you can draw your own logo in PI1, grab it with a grabber and write it on bootsector like a charm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesrc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jamesrc »

mOa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:01 am Here is POV 45 100% fixed at last!

Land of The Giants was STOS so fixed for STe too

Enjoy!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'll grab this later!
atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by atari_mark »

You can enjoy a lot of menus on youtube, I am slowly uploading the menus when have time and the energy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9SC7 ... RStdGzoWvw
Mac Sys Data/Persistence Of Vision

Instructions said to install Windows 2000 or better so I installed Fedora.
atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by atari_mark »

mOa I have tested a few original POV menus on real STe hardware and they all work but in Steem they throw three bombs, what are you doing to make the menus work in Steem? This appears a Steem issue rather than my bad coding.

mOa

Post by mOa »

well..I Don't really know but you can upload a non working disk so we can try it
jamesrc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jamesrc »

Mark,

Are they disks you imaged yourself or copies you downloaded? My suspicion is that some of the MSA and ST files floating around the Internet are bad -- possibly because someone imaged them from a corrupt disk or the files got corrupted in transit, somewhere.
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

If anyone is interested The Jive Bunny Demo uses the "Master Sound Demo (C) 1989 F.RAWASI" example code which I think is a demo provided with the Master Sound cartridge, but it uses custom graphics. I had a Master Sound Cartridge back in the day and loved using it.

I have one parted it to include boot.prg, master.pi1, font.pi1 and master.txt into one program.
When it is compressed with Pack Ice 2.4 it goes down to 28312 bytes. This is 4k larger than on POV45 but it loads and decompresses faster.

The original demo loads the picture at the end of the program, then copies it to physbase. It then loads the whole font picture after the palette where the first picture is loaded! Is that a bug? If you get it wrong then the font will appear corrupted as it did on the old POV45. I guess some changes were made to the loader to accommodate the Pack Ice depack routine? It was fun debugging that! The one parted version has both pictures in memory so sacrifices memory for faster loading and decompression time.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM (x2), 2.5Mb STF, Atari 2600JR, Flashback 8 Gold.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).
atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by atari_mark »

Are they disks you imaged yourself or copies you downloaded?
Yes they are from my original POV floppy disks, I tested POV44 on my 4MB STe and it worked, I imaged it and ran it in Steem and it threw three bombs. I will test the same image in an earlier version of Steem and see what happens.

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by atari_mark »

I have one parted it to include boot.prg, master.pi1, font.pi1 and master.txt into one program.
What single parter are you using, is it Pampuk cos that would make it 1MB only.

You could test this out by using the master sound packer I wrote, it appears on the POVCD I release in the late 90s. I have attached it here. The packer splits the picture, you pack it then rejoin the picture using my util. Pack the sample with Ice and it should work. It has been a long time since I wrote and used it so have a tinker.
MASTER.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jamesrc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jamesrc »

atari_mark wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 pm Yes they are from my original POV floppy disks, I tested POV44 on my 4MB STe and it worked, I imaged it and ran it in Steem and it threw three bombs. I will test the same image in an earlier version of Steem and see what happens.
Very weird - I *have* to think that something is happening between the original disk and the image. Reallarry did recreate the three bombs on an actual ST after downloading an image of this menu. I think that disk is one of those 81 or 82 track formats? Perhaps the imaging program is missing something? If you can post your image file, maybe someone can try it on their own hardware. (I suppose you could also take the image you made, write it back to a second floppy disk and see if that disk works).

Steem is such a good emulator these days that emulates so many things at such a low level that it seems surprising that it would be the issue.

Likewise, it's highly improbable that your code is doing anything bad.
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

What single parter are you using, is it Pampuk cos that would make it 1MB only.
I didn't use a onepart utility. I disassembled boot.prg with Easy Rider, incbin'd the boot.pi1, font.pi1 and master.txt, removed the fopen, fread and fclose calls for those and then screen copied the bits to the right locations. The sample still loads using the normal loader so it is not compressed in any way.

I have attached the original disassembly of boot.prg in boot.s and boot5.s is with my modifications for comparison.
mOa

Post by mOa »

Thank you guys for your work but I think I have found a more serious challenger:
The intro is POV 150 is crashing with 3 bombs. indeed, it's a 2 parts intro.
The 1st part is working then it crashes when the 2nd part come (with the .MOD)

I have tested it with STEem and Hatari. The attachment contains the source code from POV CD.
Maybe it just need to recompile but I don't know how to do it.
(BTW I retouched the .MOD because it was missing the bass!! feel free to use it)
mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

I'm not sure which assembler was used to assemble that intro. Devpac 3 complains about unable to use square brackets in indexes.

Using the Steem debugger it seems the saved user mode stack pointer (stack_save) is being trashed by the time the program exits.
I thought this could be caused by the mod using too much work space but that can't be right because it works down memory like a stack. Also stack_save is in the BSS section of the program which is allocated by TOS. The program carefully clears that "as most packers don't".

If you change a sample in the module then you will have to recalculate the sample workspace required and update the code to allocate that amount of workspace. I think the old default for the Whizzcat player was 16kB.

A program to calculate the workspace required by the Whizzcat player is a great idea.

Return to “Demos - Requests”