Dead STE

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Dead STE

Post by Richard »

Ok, so my main Atari STE that I use daily has decided to give me some problems.

I turned it on, green power light on the bottom left comes on, no monitor output, and no floppy drive activity.

I have previously replaced the power supply, CPU, and floppy drive on this machine.

Any ideas for a quick fix? or does this require someone with some electrical skills to fix?

Thanks,

Richard.
ragnar76
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Dead STE

Post by ragnar76 »

Have you checked the power rails?
• FireBee • Falcon060 • Falcon040 • Falcon030 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

Nope not checked the power rails, not really sure what/where I would check.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

The only easy things that don't require electrical knowledge is reseating all socketed chips & reseating the ram. I would do that first. Then look for an expert if it still doesn't work.
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

So power supply the most likely culprit then.

Where's the best place to get a new/reconditioned one nowadays? Preferably UK/EU.

Cheers.
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

No, it's not the most likely culprit. Where did you get that idea. But yeah if you just want to go and spend some money without actually checking anything go ahead...

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - sells brand new psus in the UK & original serviced/recapped ones.
czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by czietz »

I have to agree with stormy here.

Deciding that the power supply is the most likely culprit seems very far fetched to me, considering that a) the power LED is still lit and b) you did not even check the voltage rails. FYI: When my STE fails booting, it's usually the RAM SIMMs that need reseating. (Although, this has not happened anymore ever since I treated the sockets with high-quality contact cleaner.)
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

I did unplug the STE for a while, disconnected the cartridge port usb power adapter that was powering the ultra satan.
Then powered it on (didn't have a monitor plugged in so couldn't see anything), and the drive light came on as well that time.
Tried again with everything plugged in, and same problem as before.
Richard
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Richard »

ok, so I'm an idiot. After putting the STE on my workbench, check voltages against a known power supply, swapping them over, testing all ok on my bench. I then put it back on my desk, and.... same issue... no output to the monitor and only the power led on.

I then proceeded to remove my monitor lead from the computer and place it back it after rotating 180. Powered it all on and it all works.
Lessons learned....
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

At least it was an easy fix
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Richard wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 pm ok, so I'm an idiot....
I then proceeded to remove my monitor lead from the computer and place it back it after rotating 180. Powered it all on and it all works.
Lessons learned....
You are not alone, trust me. Most of us have made mistakes as silly, if not worse.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Return to “Hardware”