Faulty FDD or Atari 1040 STFM?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Johnnii360
Atarian
Atarian

Faulty FDD or Atari 1040 STFM?

Post by Johnnii360 »

Hi guys,

I want to resurrect my ATARI 1040 STFM at the moment but now I'm stuck. I re-capped the SC1224 monitor and the ST and additionally cleaned the FDD. But the FDD might be faulty - I guess.

Symptom at beginning: The FDD spins and does the sound if there is no floppy in it with an without floppy. Then I put out the PCB and checked the solder points. Nothing found. After that I put it in again and tried something. Now the floppy is dead. Put out again and found a broken solder point. Fixed it and now it's just spinning constantly. When the ST is booting the FDD LED lights up shortly but the head don't do a thing anymore. Only the platter is spinning and don't stop.

It's a TDK model but I have no idea what one.

Here's a photo of it:
P5210082.jpg
Does someone know this issue? It's worth just to re-cap the drive or buy a new used one?
But there's an issue regarding re-capping: The platter PCB is riveted and can't be put out easily.

Edit #1: On main PCB it's print »TDK-T4IV«. On the back sticker is »D357« and »S/N 0014620«. On the upper metal shield is »A 7A26B«.

Edit #2: Correction - The platter PCB can be disassemble. Just the motor is riveted to the PCB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards,
© Johnny

Return to “Hardware”