Burning Atari compatible CD-R on a Mac

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Burning Atari compatible CD-R on a Mac

Post by Fujiyama »

Has anyone tried to burn data CDs on a Mac which can be used on an ST?
I want to dump over some Atari files on to a CD-R which is to be used with an external SCSI CD-ROM drive using (the now free) Anodyne Exdendos 4 software.

I've already tried burning a data CD on the ST using Yamaha CD-RW drive and Anodyne's CD-writer suite 4 (also free) which worked great on the ST, but it's not readable on the Mac, so I'm worried the opposite may also be incompatible.
I haven't been able to find much documentation concerning the Mac OSX burning feature, so I thought I'd ask here before I end up with too many "coasters". Perhaps I need some additional Mac software for doing this?
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Burning Atari compatible CD-R on a Mac

Post by stormy »

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/e4/data.html

Here is the list of supported formats on Atari using Extendos. When burning on the Mac you just need to make sure you're burning one of these formats. The burning software should let you choose (if you're using good software)

Apparently Burn is good: https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Burning Atari compatible CD-R on a Mac

Post by Fujiyama »

Extendos appears very versatile indeed, so I'm guessing something would work.
The problem is lacking documentation for the built-in MacOS Finder burning feature, which (as far as I know) doesn't have any configuration options. I read in some forum discussion that it makes hybrid Mac HFS+/ISO 9660 CDs, but I don't know how this would work with Extendos or when/how this works.

But I just came across a free third party Mac app called Burn which indeed appears to have an option for the kind of format to burn with, so I'll try that.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Return to “Applications”