Multiple GDOS/NVDI setups (Superboot) confusion

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Multiple GDOS/NVDI setups (Superboot) confusion

Post by Fujiyama »

I'm trying to cleanup/organize and make use of some old experimental multi-setups I had years ago (using Superboot) but am a little confused about the GDOS and NVDI configurations. More specifically which files/folders belong where and for what.
PS: I know there are better boot-selectors around (such as Xboot) but am used to Superboot and didn't like the multiple keypress way of choosing setups in Xboot, so for the moment I'm sticking with Superboot.

So I have multiple NVDI versions (2.5/3/4) for various uses (certain MIDI software for instance won't work with NVDI 4 apparently because of its font support which is absent in earlier versions, while this is fine for use with magiC)...
As far as I understand the C:\GEMSYS\ folder is where GDOS keeps its stuff, and C:\ASSIGN.SYS is its configuration file and there also has to be a GDOS program to start all of this in C:\AUTO\, right? Would the latter be one of the later NVDI.PRG files?
Then there's C:\NVDI.INF -I suppose there's one specifically for each version?

So would I need to set up two entries in the "Other files" section of Superboot for the various GEMSYS/ folders and the NVDI.INF configuration files?
I believe Superboot already has provisions for NEWDESK.INF/DESKTOP.INF (TOS desktop configurations) and ASSIGN.SYS configurations (the uniquely named configuration files all go within C:\AUTO\SUPRBOOT\.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Multiple GDOS/NVDI setups (Superboot) confusion

Post by ThorstenOtto »

• NVDI.INF is looked up in:
    • the root of the current drive
    • in the AUTO folder of your boot drive
    • in the directory that is specified with PATH in ASSIGN.SYS
    • and finally as C:\NVDI.INF
  • NVDI 2.x does not need a NVDI.INF at all, since it only has entries related to vector fonts
  • You should be able to use the same NVDI.INF for all versions if you want to (might depend whether you need different setting for the caches). At least older versions should just ignore any keywords they don't recognize.
  • Yes, NVDI.PRG belongs in the AUTO folder.
  • C:\GEMSYS typically holds the bitmap fonts, as well as the screen drivers (NVDI*.SYS for 2.x, and also *.nod/*.osd for later versions). It also contains the printer drivers. Drivers are *not* compatible between versions, so you either have to use different directories for these, or copy them around.
  • The path for vector fonts is specified in NVDI.INF, by default C:\BTFONTS
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Cool!
Does this mean I can just use the GEMSYS\ folder which NVDI 4 installed, likewise the same NVDI.INF and ASSIGN.SYS file, and using the boot-selector just choose between (the renamed) NVDI_25.PRG, NVDI_3.PRG or NVDI_4.PRG?
No need to configure "other" files in Superboot in other words.

I noticed that MagiC 6 also has a GEMSYS folder, so I'm guessing I can just copy over the files it doesn't have but which are present in the NVDI 4 GEMSYS folder. Should the NVDI 4 screen drivers all work with the older NVDI versions? (UPDATE: I see you've replied to that already, so I guess that would mean I do need a separate GEMSYS folder for each NVDI version after all. But maybe I can add all the NVDI 4 stuff (from its GEMSYS folder) over to the MagiC 6 GEMSYS folder.
If I rename each GEMSYS folder (i.e. GEMSYS_25, GEMSYS_3, GEMSYS_4 etc) I could add an "other" option to Superboot where I can have each configuration choose its own GEMSYS folder. Of course I'll have to edit each relevant ASSIGN.SYS file to include the correct path as well then.

The compatibility problems is with Emagic Notator (MIDI software), which is quite picky with AUTO programs, CPX modules, ACCessories and their order as well as GDOS related stuff as it relies on its own font system. So a boot-selector is essential if the computer is to be used for other things as well.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:14 am Does this mean I can just use the GEMSYS\ folder which NVDI 4 installed, likewise the same NVDI.INF and ASSIGN.SYS file, and using the boot-selector just choose between (the renamed) NVDI_25.PRG, NVDI_3.PRG or NVDI_4.PRG?
Als already mentioned (but you already noticed that below), you can maybe use the same NVDI.INF and ASSIGN.SYS, but you will most likely need different gemsys folders.
I noticed that MagiC 6 also has a GEMSYS folder, so I'm guessing I can just copy over the files it doesn't have but which are present in the NVDI 4 GEMSYS folder.
You can copy the fonts, but not the drivers.
Should the NVDI 4 screen drivers all work with the older NVDI versions?
No, definitely not, at least not for major versions. So you can use the drivers from 4.12 with NVDI 4.0, but not with NVDI 3.x or NVDI 5.x
The compatibility problems is with Emagic Notator (MIDI software), which is quite picky with AUTO programs, CPX modules, ACCessories and their order as well as GDOS related stuff as it relies on its own font system.
You could maybe turn of the GDOS functioniality of NVDI (via the CPX), so it is only used as screen driver.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:52 pm
Fujiyama wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:14 am
I noticed that MagiC 6 also has a GEMSYS folder, so I'm guessing I can just copy over the files it doesn't have but which are present in the NVDI 4 GEMSYS folder.
You can copy the fonts, but not the drivers.
But since NVDI 4 puts its screen-drivers there, how should it be installed when using MagiC 6 together with NVDI 4?
I guess I should try to reinstall NVDI 4 and see (I had problems when trying yesterday though -the installer wouldn't go on even if I entered the correct serial/license code. Perhaps it's very particular about entering all the fields including the entire name and address which I hadn't).

Are you a good person?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

I have something like this - NVDI 3,4,5 and SpeedoGdos 5B, 5C, 5.7 installed on my drive C partition.
But I am using TOS/MINT for them, not MagiC, and using on my Falcon dev system HDD.

-- aside -- some ppl does this also but uses the HDDriver selectable boot partition C,D, E etc to load different configuration ( which may be easier IDK ).

From memory, this is what I did -- basically to install each version and then config it ( using NVDI 3,11 as example here)
1. rename the PRG in AUTO to something meaning full like NVDI.PRG to NVDI311.PRG
2. move all the C:\GEMSYS stuff into C:\GEMSYS\NVDI311 folder (create it and moves the stuff).
3. renamed the CPX file to distinguish them to the versions ( like NCACHE.CPX to NCACHE31.CPX etc ).
4. rename the tools folder ( if there is one, to distinguish the specific version )
5. move NVDI.INF to the "copy folder" ( from which the boot selector copy the file back to C:\NVDI.INF ) and rename to NVDI.INF to NVDI_311.INF
6. Edit the NVDI_311.INF file, change the folder to load the font info from FIFPATH=C:\GEMSYS\NVDI311\
7. move ASSIGN.SYS to the same "copy folder" above and rename ASSIGN.SYS to ASSIGN.311
8. Edit the ASSIGN.SYS file, change the folder to load the drivers/font (bitmap) from PATH=C:\GEMSYS\NVDI311\
9. .... test and then proceed to the next GDOS version.

The same concept applies for speedo.

Then it becomes just a matter of enabling the files PRG & CPX and copying INF & SYS to C: root by the boot selector for your selected GDOS.
The BTFONTS can be reused as it only contains the non-bitmap fonts.

Sure it mean lots of possible duplications increasing the disk space required but then HDD is pretty big nowadays.

HTH.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Fujiyama wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:42 am Then there's C:\NVDI.INF -I suppose there's one specifically for each version?
the assign.sys should be the one that is important as it tells where the drivers are.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list

Return to “Applications”