Bildschirm-treiber nicht gefunden" (MagiC/NVDI) error

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Bildschirm-treiber nicht gefunden" (MagiC/NVDI) error

Post by Fujiyama »

I'm not sure if this error message is related to MagiC or NVDI (it gets more confusing as I've transferred a 12 year old setup to my drive consisting of various Superboot setups), but it goes like this:

Bildschirm-Treiber nicht gefunden.
MCMD wird gestartet...
System wird angehalten.

If I'm not mistaken it appears to say that the screen driver isn't found, MCMD (I have no idea what that is) is restarted and the system is put on hold.
I know I've run into this problem in the past and probably discussed it here, but the forum search came up with nothing....

UPDATE: I disabled NVDI in the AUTO folder, ran "MAGXBOOT.PRG" and the message appeared, so it appears to be a MagiC problem and nothing to do with NVDI.
If memory serves me right there's a configuration file for MagiC, but where, and is there something in it I might need to look at and change?
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Bildschirm-treiber nicht gefunden" (MagiC/NVDI) error

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 pm If I'm not mistaken it appears to say that the screen driver isn't found
Yes, this is a message from NVDI, indicating that either the screen driver, or the offscreen driver that handles the output, was not found.
MCMD (I have no idea what that is) is restarted and the system is put on hold.
MCMD is a command line tool for magic, and is only started as a fallback, because of the error above.
If memory serves me right there's a configuration file for MagiC, but where, and is there something in it I might need to look at and change?
It's MAGX.INF, in the root folder of your boot drive. You can find a commented version for example in https://github.com/th-otto/MagicMac/blo ... e/magx.inf (comments are in german, though). You should also check your ASSIGN.SYS file (read by NVDI).
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Here's an example magx.inf file that's in English from the DDP files.

MAGX.INF.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Thanks to both of you.
I've had a closer look at my setup (bypassing the Superboot boot-selector setup for now to make things simpler), and apart from a couple of paths that were different (I've fixed them now) it all looks fine (as far as I can see).

My setup used the Thing desktop, but as I understand that adds complication I edited that line as a comment and understand that Magxdesk is then chosen by default. The previously mentioned error message is now gone, but other problems show up. By the way, I'm testing this in Hatari (2.3.0) with TOS 2.06 on my Mac because it's more convenient than testing it all on my real STe. As far as I know this environment should be fine for his, but do tell if there's something I've missed.

So what happens is the Magic Booter appears to work fine now, but then a number of error messages appear one by another in the following order:
magix_err1.png
magix_err2.png
magix_err3.png
magix_err4.png
magix_err5.png
Now at the following stage Thing has apparently been started anyway which puzzles me (since I commented it away in MAGX.INF), but starts off with an error message:
magix_err6.png
But after pressing the "Cancel" button the Thing desktop appears and all looks OK. If I go to the "Thing -About Thing" menu, then press "info" I can see that I've successfully booted into MagiC and not just Thing on the TOS 2.06 desktop!
magix_thing_7.png
magix_thing_8.png
... but why is Thing started (when I commented it out, and where do all those error messages (screenshots above) come from? Do they relate to Thing, or to MagiC?
Oh, I looked at ASSIGN.SYS, and as far as I can see (but I'm no expert and it's been a while since I was into this) it appears OK:
PATH = C:\GEMSYS

01p SCREEN.SYS

02p SCREEN.SYS

03p SCREEN.SYS

04p SCREEN.SYS
CONNECT.FNT
EDMS08.FNT
EDMS09.FNT
EDMS10.FNT
EDMS12.FNT
ISO_LGHT.FNT
JINN09.FNT
s MONACO08.FNT
s MONACO09.FNT
s MONACO10.FNT
s MONACO20.FNT

05p SCREEN.SYS

06p SCREEN.SYS

07p SCREEN.SYS

08p SCREEN.SYS

09p SCREEN.SYS

10p SCREEN.SYS

21 PINPRN.SYS

22 PAGEPRN.SYS

31 META.SYS

61 MEMORY.SYS

91 IMG.SYS

And here's my MAGX.INF file:
;*INFNAME
;* MAGX.INF created by MagiC!Conf 1.5 by Christian Ratsch
;* on 10.07.2007 at 15:58:54
;*####################################################################
#_MAG MAG!X v04.02
#[boot]
cookies=32
;#[vfat]
;drives=
#[aes]
#_APP C:\GEMSYS\MAGIC\START\
#_ACC C:\
;#_AUT <n/a>
#_SCP C:\CLIPBRD
#_TRM C:\GEMSYS\GEMDESK\VT52.PRG
#_SHL C:\THING\THING.APP
;#_BUF <default (4192)>
#_TXB 1 0 13
#_TXS 1 0 4
#_WND 16
#_TSL 1 32
;#_DEV <default>
#_FLG 96
;#_FSL 0
#_BKG 56
#_OBS 8 16 0 0
;*ENVSTART
;*ENVSTOP
;*SLBSTART
;*SLBSTOP
#[shelbuf]
#_CTR
#a000000
#b001000
#c7770007000600070055200505552220770557075055507703111302
#d
; #_SHL C:\THING\THING.APP

#_DSK MAGXDESK V3.01 1
#_DSW 640 381 0 0 0 10 0111 0112110000000
#_DS2 1001 3 1 1 1 4 3 7 0 1 10
#_DEX BAT BTP
#_DWN 104 23 437 281 0
#_DWN 180 20 300 160 0
#_DWN 200 30 300 160 0
#_DWN 220 40 300 160 0
#_DWN 240 50 300 160 0
#_DWN 260 60 300 160 0
#_DIC 1 A 14 0
#_DIC 1 C 126 0
#_DIC 1 D 186 0
#_DIC 1 E 246 0
#_DIC 1 F 312 0
#_DIC 1 G 129 57
#_DIC 1 H 197 59
#_DIC 1 I 273 60
#_DIC 5 @ 576 339
#_DIC 7 @ 36 269 C:\MAGIC\MCONFPRV\MAGICCNF.APP
#_DPG
#_DPG C:\GEMSYS\GEMDESK\SHOWFILE.TTP
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPG
#_DPP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Oops.... I believe I caught an error: there are two instances of #_SHL C:\THING\THING.APP
so even though I commented (disabled) one of them the other is still there. I'll see if I get better results if I comment the other instance as well.

OK..... I tried rebooting with the above change (disabling both instances of the Thing references). It appears I'm still getting the same error messages as earlier (BUBBLE.APP, START.APP etc. -see screenshots) but after those I'm getting this:
magix_magxdesk_9.png
And then MagXdesk appears. Here's what comes up if I go to the "Magxdesk-About MagiC" menu:
magix_magxdesk_10.png
It seems there are some other configuration files I might need to look at. Does it have something to do with what's inside the /GEMSYS/MAGIC/START/ folder?

Are you a good person?
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Hello,

I didn't read your posts in detail, but in attachment I've added some info I found 13 years ago on the web.

Hope it helps.

The website still exists :
http://jens.hatlak.de/shh/magic.php4
Last edited by Mark_G on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Concerning BubbleGEM :
That's what I found in the hyp file.
BubbleGem.jpg
See example config file for location of startfolder (C:\GEMSYS\MAGIC\START)

For your convenience, I've also added the install file for BubbleGEM. So you can check your system.

Good luck with everything.

BTW, If your system is working , switch to MAGIC 6.20 and Jinnee.
Those are the latest releases, and work great.

Mark
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Mark_G wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 am BTW, If your system is working , switch to MAGIC 6.20 and Jinnee.
Those are the latest releases, and work great.
Thanks Mark!
I will look into those, but I was actually going to ask about the latest release once I got this going, so your timing is perfect :D

I know the MagiC sources have kindly been released for free by its author, Andreas Kromke, and if I'm not mistaken, Thorsten Otto (who replied earlier in this thread) has taken over further development (?).
But I haven't been able to find any new binaries for downloading, ready to use. I know very little about compiling, programming and such so I'm reliant on ready-to-use binaries. Is there any such thing available?

PS: I found a MagiC ROM-IMG file in another thread here (sorry, forgot which one) which I used to flash my STe MonSTer board with. While it boots it crashes and doesn't work. That's all I've found concerning updated MagiC binaries, and no full installer (as I believe the original (purchased) disks had. Perhaps there's an "official" release page somewhere?

Are you a good person?
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

For the requested files, do a search at this forum under "A couple abandonware apps"

Enjoy.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Are you referring to MagiC 6.20 and Jinnee as you suggested earlier?
I found this posting (in the "A couple abandonware apps" thread) with those downloads, but these are uploads of someone's own disks and their license keys -strictly speaking pirated copies? Correct me if I've misunderstood.

I was wondering if there are any new and "official" re-releases (binaries and/or installation program) of MagiC, based upon the freely released sources and released with the knowledge and go-ahead of its original author?
Or official "freeware" license key releases, such as the free license for Thing released by its author, which is to be used with all the unlicensed shareware releases out there on Umich, Funet or whatever.

Are you a good person?
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:09 am has taken over further development (?).
I would not call that development so far ;) I've made it compilable and working, and done a few bug fixes. But since interest seems to be rather low, I've not spend much time in it the last few months.
But I haven't been able to find any new binaries for downloading, ready to use.
The "lastet snapshot" points to it: https://bintray.com/th-otto/magicmac-fi ... sion#files

However i have to find a new place to upload the binaries, since bintray is about to close

no full installer (as I believe the original (purchased) disks had.?
Since the sources were mainly released to support the AtariX Mac emulator, being able to also build the "normal" magic.ram for use on Atari is just a plus. So there is no separate installer for Atari so far. But basically, if you already have an existing installation, you just have to replace the files (magic.ram, all the applications, and the NVDI drivers).
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Hello,

I didn't know the existence of those files. Maybe we need to make an new topic concerning this Magic.

Is there a list of the bugs that are fixed in this version of Magic ?
Did you increase the version number (for example 6.21) ?

I've a falcon CT60, and want to try out Magic with it.
However, there are some patch files than need to be installed.

Probably it's a good idea to include/merge the comments from ct60_404.lzh (from Didier Mequignon), the Centek MAGIC.RAM patch (MAGIC_P.PRG), and other patch files in this package.

Anyhow, thanks for all your effort. :cheers:

Mark
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Mark_G wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:48 pm I didn't know the existence of those files. Maybe we need to make an new topic concerning this Magic.
It was announced here long time ago, in https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34904
Is there a list of the bugs that are fixed in this version of Magic ?
Not directly. But you can browse the commits ;)
Did you increase the version number (for example 6.21) ?
Since there were no interface changes so far, i only changed the date, but not the version.
Probably it's a good idea to include/merge the comments from ct60_404.lzh (from Didier Mequignon), the Centek MAGIC.RAM patch (MAGIC_P.PRG), and other patch files in this package.
Would have to check, but i think some of these are already integrated. Problem with the CT60 patches (as far as i remember) was that such a patched magic *only* runs on CT60. Apart from that, i have no way to test such a version. But hey, sources are available, if you think you can do that, go ahead ;)
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Thanks guys for sharing that documentation!
I see I have a lot of reading to do :wink:
ThorstenOtto wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 am
Fujiyama wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:09 am has taken over further development (?).
I would not call that development so far ;) I've made it compilable and working, and done a few bug fixes. But since interest seems to be rather low, I've not spend much time in it the last few months.
That's good enough for me! :D
(and I'm sure for other end-users who can't do any programming/compiling etc. themselves)
But I haven't been able to find any new binaries for downloading, ready to use.
The "lastet snapshot" points to it: https://bintray.com/th-otto/magicmac-fi ... sion#files

However i have to find a new place to upload the binaries, since bintray is about to close
Thanks (and to Joska as well). It's now downloaded and briefly tested (but not quite gotten working yet).
Hopefully you'll find a new place to host it. It's great when software like this is given to the community instead of being forgotten.
Even better when people like yourself take the time to fix bugs etc. and sharing it with the public. I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

no full installer (as I believe the original (purchased) disks had.?
Since the sources were mainly released to support the AtariX Mac emulator, being able to also build the "normal" magic.ram for use on Atari is just a plus. So there is no separate installer for Atari so far. But basically, if you already have an existing installation, you just have to replace the files (magic.ram, all the applications, and the NVDI drivers).
The download in named "magicmac-20200708-111426-bin.zip" but this is actually the Atari ST release, but based on AtariX?
Since I also use AtariX this got me curious: I'm using version 0.3 (1) dated 2014. Downloading the binary again from here appears to give the same version number, but appears as only one file. I had already got a working setup, so I don't know if my previous AtariX "how to" guide applies any longer or not. Are the changes only in regards to the installation.

But back to MagiC on the Atari ST:
So, install MagiC from my original version 4 disks, then replace with those files that are in your version 6 snapshot? I'll give it a go.
Would it be a lot of work to make an Atari installer meaning those without MagiC from before could also install it easily?

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:00 pm The download in named "magicmac-20200708-111426-bin.zip" but this is actually the Atari ST release, but based on AtariX?
Yes, there is only one zip file that has all versions. The applications are identical, the only thing that differs is the MagiC kernel (magic.ram for use on atari, magcmacx.os for use with AtariX, and two others for milan and hades).
I don't know if my previous AtariX "how to" guide applies any longer or not.
Yes, it still applies.

Note that for AtariX there is also a new binary version available, at https://bintray.com/th-otto/atarix-file ... sion#files However, changes to the Emulator are only marginal so far, and you will mainly need that for a fresh installation. I did not change the version there yet, it is still 0.3, and all the guidelines for installation still apply.
Are the changes only in regards to the installation.
They are mostly for building the application on newer versions of macOS, but nothing regarding installation so far, and not much differences at runtime.
Would it be a lot of work to make an Atari installer meaning those without MagiC from before could also install it easily?
Depends a bit. It would be a bit easier than before (because NVDI drivers are already there, and you don't need to care about a registration number or similar). Basically it is just a matter of asking some preferences (language, installation directory etc), and then copying a lot of files around. And maybe backup some of them, in case you are overwriting an already existing installation. All that should be doable with of bit of GEM programming knowledge, no need to know assembler or any internals of MagiC. But would still take a good amount of time testing it, and a development environment that allows you to do so without messing with your own installation.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Fujiyama wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:00 pm I don't know if my previous AtariX "how to" guide applies any longer or not.
Yes, it still applies.

Note that for AtariX there is also a new binary version available, at https://bintray.com/th-otto/atarix-file ... sion#files However, changes to the Emulator are only marginal so far, and you will mainly need that for a fresh installation. I did not change the version there yet, it is still 0.3, and all the guidelines for installation still apply.
I donwloaded it anyway, but which site should we go to for getting further updates (if any)?
The bintray site you mentioned above, or the GitLab site?

Depends a bit. It would be a bit easier than before (because NVDI drivers are already there, and you don't need to care about a registration number or similar). Basically it is just a matter of asking some preferences (language, installation directory etc), and then copying a lot of files around. And maybe backup some of them, in case you are overwriting an already existing installation. All that should be doable with of bit of GEM programming knowledge, no need to know assembler or any internals of MagiC. But would still take a good amount of time testing it, and a development environment that allows you to do so without messing with your own installation.
Could the old installers be used for this?
I did actually give my old installers a go (testing it within the Hatari emulator), intending to use it as a base for further installing the version 6 files mentioned here. I have both installation disks for version 2 and an upgrade to version 4 of MagiC for the ST.
Version 2 was no problem at all, running the version 4 installer after that gave me several error messages:
grab0003.png
grab0004.png
grab0005.png
grab0006.png
grab0007.png
grab0008.png
grab0009.png
... and the irony :lol: :
grab0010.png
then when actually booting MagiC 4 I got an "Offscreen-treiber nicht gefunden." error message, which is strange since I did everything by the book using the installer. I didn't have anything else on the (virtual) Hatari "C" drive when installing which could mess it all up -version 2 was on a "fresh" drive.

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:12 am but which site should we go to for getting further updates (if any)?
The gitlab site was only used by Andreas to publish his sources, but i don't think he will do any further updates.
Could the old installers be used for this?
No, sources for an installer are not available. And of course filenames have changed since then. Only thing that it can be used for, is to check what it actually does.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

OK, I'll bookmark the Bintray link for checking further updates.

I yet again tried re-installing MagiC 4, this time on my real STe (not Hatari on the Mac) and it worked fine! (strangely the "MagiC 2, upgraded to MagiC 4" disk installation files didn't work properly, but it looks like the version 4 installer wasn't reliant on that anyway with a valid license.

Then I replaced my Magic 4 files with the various MagiC 6 files (and leaving the rest alone) as suggested here earlier and that worked fine too!
I've just booted into the default setup (Magxdesk), so next I will try to configure it with Thing.
I noticed a couple of things, perhaps something that can be looked at for a future update:

a) The info window ("Magxdesk"-"About MagiC" menu) shows "Lizenz an: Erika Mustermann". Can this be removed, since MagiC is now license free?
A minor typo there is "MagiCDesk V5.02". It says "Magxdesk" elsewhere.

b) by clicking in the empty spaces of the top menubar there are a few options (MAGXDESK aublenden, Andere ausblende, Aufraümen...) which are all in German. Can this be translated into English as everything else (as far as I can see) is in English.

PS: does MagiC work within Hatari? The exact same MagiC 6 setup (transferred from my STe) booted but gave me an error message:
magic6_hatari1.png
Then this (pressing either "Abbruch" or "Nochmal" only results in a few seconds without anything, then the same message re-appearing:
magic6_hatari2.png

Are you a good person?
mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mfro »

Just in case you didn't know: Erika Mustermann is the German sister of John Doe ;) - an arbitrary name used as an example.
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Haha :lol:
I didn't know that.

Still, removing the license altogether would probably be better. I managed to install my version 4 from the installation files without entering any name/address -only the license number.

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Fujiyama wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm a) The info window ("Magxdesk"-"About MagiC" menu) shows "Lizenz an: Erika Mustermann". Can this be removed, since MagiC is now license free?
Should be fixed now.
b) by clicking in the empty spaces of the top menubar there are a few options (MAGXDESK aublenden, Andere ausblende, Aufraümen...) which are all in German. Can this be translated into English as everything else (as far as I can see) is in English.
Hm, strange. The kernel in the en directory is supposed to have that translation, but apparently does not. Have to check what is going wrong.

Edit: should be fixed now, too. Only the kernel was affected (magic.ram), so it should be enough to replace it again from the "en" directory.
PS: does MagiC work within Hatari?
That sounds like a problem with Hatari. Are you using a GEMDOS drive in Hatari?
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Thanks for looking into it. Will you be uploading a new set of binaries with these changes to the Bintray site?

Yes, I've set up a GEMDOS drive with the AUTO folder etc. in for Hatari.

Are you a good person?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, uploading happens automatically after building so they should already be available ;)

For Hatari, you should maybe file a bug report, either here in a different thread, or on the mailing list. But GEMDOS emulation is maybe restricted there to single-tos versions. In aranym, i use an harddisk image and betados, because of similar problems (the hostfs driver is only available for mint)
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

I have a feeling that whole trouble that Fujiyama have is because he is using “gemdos” - a file system of host OS in Hatari (instead of harddisk emulation)!

Btw
MagiC change names over time... I can not say for sure but it was Mag!X before ver. 3... so possible that MagiCDesk also was “newer” name for Magxdesk....
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Return to “Applications”