Alternative to AUTOSORT?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Alternative to AUTOSORT?

Post by joska »

Fujiyama wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:25 pm IMHO a boot selector should be "transparent" in use and not remove any functionality compared without running a boot selector, but removing the ability to save changes to the desktop file is a shortcoming.
I don't see how this removes any functionality at all. Let's say you need to use different desktop configuration files.

Saving newdesk.inf, with and without XBoot: Save desktop, rename newdesk.inf to whatever.inf and optionally copy it to a folder.

Choosing newdesk.inf, without XBoot: Copy file to root of boot partition if necessary, delete current newdesk.inf, rename the file in question to newdesk.inf, reboot.
Choosing newdesk.inf, with XBoot: Select desired set when booting.

If you *don't* need to use different desktop configuration files then there's no change in functionality at all.

Adding the feature you ask for directly to XBoot would probably be a bit difficult as AFAIK the sources are not available. However, it can be done with an external program that runs *before* XBoot in the auto-folder.

- The current selected set is specified in /xboot/xboot.cfg.
- The sets are specified in /xboot/sets.dat.
- Read xboot.cfg to determine the last selected set.
- Read sets.dat to get the name and path to the newdesk.inf for the current set.
- If the current set has a newdesk.inf, overwrite this with the contents of /newdesk.inf.

But keep in mind that there is no way to implement this functionality without making some assumptions, and I can assure you that at some point it will overwrite the wrong file.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

It is really a pain if you forget to copy & save newdesk.inf file when you finally setup the way you want the desktop to look like.
But I think one does not change the look/feel of the desktop so often that it needs to be automated.

OTOH, it is an easy program to do with the flow given by Jo.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

It's mostly a frustration when you don't use the Atari regularly and forget about it, then make some big changes to the desktop (like configuring various programs etc.), save the desktop, and upon next boot you find it's overwritten.
I learnt that lesson the hard way, and since then have made backups of all my different NEWDESK.INF files.

Yes, I agree that it's not the kind of changes you do regularly, but more in a setup/experimentation stage. Ideally it should be possible to save any changes to the TOS desktop as before, even with a boot-selector, but since that's currently not possible we'll just keep those limitations in mind and make regular backups to be on the safe side (good idea to do anyway, especially after having done some time consuming changes).
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

What is a weirdly bad design is that while you can select which INF file to load from the TOS desktop, you can't change the name of the INF that you save. So the desktop designer wanted you to manually copy and change the INF filename.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Too true!
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESCC | RSVE | WB Systemtechnik Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive w/AJAX | Exxos HD floppy module | Ricoh battery-backed realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

wongck wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:08 pm What is a weirdly bad design is that while you can select which INF file to load from the TOS desktop, you can't change the name of the INF that you save. So the desktop designer wanted you to manually copy and change the INF filename.
I think the idea was to be able to load newdesk.inf from floppy without having to reboot.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

mmm..... that does makes sense
Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Fujiyama »

Another solution is NOT to set up the boot-selector to include DESKTOP.INF/NEWDESK.INF selections and instead rely on different desktop replacements if you need different desktop appearances/functions.

Are you a good person?

Return to “Applications”