WebOne: browsing by proxy

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

WebOne: browsing by proxy

Post by robv »

This may be of interest if you want to surf the web using an old browser. It's a proxy server that does all the hard work (https etc.).
https://github.com/atauenis/webone
The developer was kind enough to fix a bug so it now works with Highwire. You will need the latest version 0.10.4 for that. I'm justing testing it now, running the server on Windows and browsing with Highwire. This is how the forum looks :D

Last edited by robv on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
engaged with Atari ST since 1987
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: Web browsing by proxy

Post by shoggoth »

Image link doesn't work, unfortunately
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

shoggoth wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 am Image link doesn't work, unfortunately
Fixed it, had to do with the image being on an insecure server. :roll:
Rob
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: WebOne: browsing by proxy

Post by robv »

Some images that Highwire cannot handle are not displayed. You can configure the proxy to convert these to a format Highwire does understand (f.i. PNG) using the included CONVERT util (from ImageMagicK). Will have to test this to see how it affects speed. So far speed is OK (on a fast box). Hope to run it on a headless Raspberry Pi 4 in our home network.
Rob
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

This is a very useful thing, and I guess it could be incorporated in devices such as the CosmosEX or some other device with some nice ARM hw in it.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

WebOne and CosmosEx? Really nice idea.
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Nice, I always thought a hardware proxy would be the thing to get our old Ataris to surf newer web sites.

Well, maybe this software could be used in a Jookie device or a raspberry pi or something like a netusbee.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Interesting, I'll probably install on my RasPi here.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

simonsunnyboy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:46 pm Interesting, I'll probably install on my RasPi here.
Definitely an interesting project, but you will need a fast machine to run the proxy on (tested it on my Intel i7 4.00 GHz; RasPi 4 is next). Not everything works, but it's an early version. A lot depends on your browser's CSS implementation. No javascript at this point, but https seems to work. I think the developer should be supported by user input and knowledgable coders (far beyond my coding capabilites).
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:13 pm Nice, I always thought a hardware proxy would be the thing to get our old Ataris to surf newer web sites.
In the near future we will all have a small black box in the house running a modern browser. Your old Atari will connect to it just like a terminal. So all we need is an updated version of the old VT52.ACC :lol:
Rob
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

If you have enough capable Atari the best way to browse the web is to instal VNC server on the PC and use aVNC on your Atari to browse.
You will see 100% correctly rendered web pages a lot faster. Except animations will not look smooth.

On my FireBee and Milan aVNC works "great" compared to other solutions.
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

vido wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:26 pm If you have enough capable Atari the best way to browse the web is to instal VNC server on the PC and use aVNC on your Atari to browse.
I believe aVNC only works under Mint.
Rob
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Yes, but that takes a PC running in tandem and a capable Atari as you say. It works, but I hope one day to have a small unit attached to my Atari that runs as a proxy appliance.
ragnar76
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ragnar76 »

I don't want to spoil your fun, but I don't get it what the difference is to any other proxy?

I mean, squid has been around for years. squid is very well documented, can do just about anything and runs on just about everything (for example, directly on my pfsense router). Therefore I do not understand it :?
• FireBee • Falcon060 • Falcon040 • Falcon030 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

As i understand the description, this proxy actually transcribes web pages and content, to simple layout and formats compatibles with old browsers.
I don't think it can handle rich web clients though, as i couldn't imagine how it would interface all the javascript events of such websites/webapps.
vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by vido »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 pm Yes, but that takes a PC running in tandem and a capable Atari as you say. It works, but I hope one day to have a small unit attached to my Atari that runs as a proxy appliance.
I believe Raspberry Pi Zero is small enough device to fit everywhere. You dont need a big PC 🙂
With capable Atari I mean mostly Atari with graphics and ethernet card.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

robv wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 pm
simonsunnyboy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:46 pm Interesting, I'll probably install on my RasPi here.
Definitely an interesting project, but you will need a fast machine to run the proxy on (tested it on my Intel i7 4.00 GHz; RasPi 4 is next). Not everything works, but it's an early version. A lot depends on your browser's CSS implementation.
Well I had hoped it would eliminate CSS to make this work with 90s era browsers which would be the whole point.
I need a proxy that strips out all the JS and CSS to make sites surfable with mid-90s browsers.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

simonsunnyboy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:37 am
robv wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 pm
Definitely an interesting project, but you will need a fast machine to run the proxy on (tested it on my Intel i7 4.00 GHz; RasPi 4 is next). Not everything works, but it's an early version. A lot depends on your browser's CSS implementation.
Well I had hoped it would eliminate CSS to make this work with 90s era browsers which would be the whole point.
I need a proxy that strips out all the JS and CSS to make sites surfable with mid-90s browsers.
What you are asking is possible but you won't be able to do much with the websites. JavaScript and CSS are necessary for the proper operation of websites. Just try turning off JavaScript on your pc browser and most of the websites you visit will become annoying to use. E-shops might just redirect you to a page that says you need to enable JavaScript to use the site. And as we move to pwa our old ataris will just be able to use the sites designed for them only.
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Not sure why but I tried logging in to this forum through this proxy on highwire but it didn't work.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

The idea is not to shop and use social networks but simple plain lookup of information, browsing and location of documentation etc.

WIthout having to wait ages for CAB to display crap it cannot render

Stay cool, stay Atari!

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Btw, just yesterday I gave the latest nightly build (https://ci.netsurf-browser.org/builds/atari) of Netsurf a go, it wasn't that bad at all. Of course, I didn't try facebook but many sites I have been visiting on daily basis were totally OK and readable.
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

stormy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:58 pm Not sure why but I tried logging in to this forum through this proxy on highwire but it didn't work.
Same problem here so I contacted the developer. It's a problem with'the proxy's local mode (that's what we use with Highwire). He will try to fix it in the next version.
Rob
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

robv wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am
stormy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:58 pm Not sure why but I tried logging in to this forum through this proxy on highwire but it didn't work.
Same problem here so I contacted the developer. It's a problem with'the proxy's local mode (that's what we use with Highwire). He will try to fix it in the next version.
Is there a newer Highwire page than the links default with the package? Those are dead with the version I'd found.

It's quicker than Netsurf, but Netsurf sure displays more content. Noticed on the site they are still posting weekly builds, assuming though it's more related to updating certificates. There's a few small quirks I've noticed that exist through many versions (ie, depressing clear cache the button never returns to its original state). Guess that's where being proactive comes into play :)

Been going through phone bookmarks of Atari or other sites of interest, Netsurf surprisingly compatible. On a 200mhz CT60, be almost livable :)
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GokMasE »

Rustynutt wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 am Is there a newer Highwire page than the links default with the package? Those are dead with the version I'd found.
The old HighWire page went down with Rob's server, I am keeping it mirrored here:

http://mirror.gokmase.com/highwire/

(Some of the download links are unfortunately broken, as they were routed through a download script. I'll have a look and see if I have those files stored somewhere)
emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by emcclariion »

I wish I could get it to work, on my windows 10 box, the service starts, but it does not proxy, thought it was firewall turned all off still does not work
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb
robv
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by robv »

If you're using Highwire, make sure you set the proxy to run on port 80 (in the config file) as Highwire doesn't know port numbers. You cannot set a proxy in Highwire, so you should use the so called 'local mode'. Feed the url http://xx.xx.xx.xx/http:/atari-forum.com to Highwire with xx.xx as the ip for the machine the proxy is running on. At this time there's a bug which prevents you from logging in but I was told this will be fixed in the next version.
Rob

Return to “Applications”