All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Texel sources available

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

wongck wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:53 am
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 pm The only configuration I got to work was with a MagiC system and NVDI5.
Not entirely surprised by that.... software distributed by ASH will work best in their MAgiC/NVDI eco system.
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 pm Looks like there is a problem with at least some TOS versions with this version of Texel when used with NVDI.
Could be a business decision back then.
I hope not. The first paragraph of Thomas' github page is:

Code: Select all

Over 20 years ago I wrote a spreadsheet application called "Texel" for Atari/TOS/MagiC systems.
I probably started coding Texel in 1994; version 1.00 was released in September 1995.
The last official release 2.20 dates back to 1999. From time to time I'm being asked if I could release the Texel source code... Well, here it is.
Which specifically says it is for TOS and MagiC systems.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I agree, this was unlikely be done on purpose. But since Texel uses the multi-tasking capabilities a lot, i would not be surprised if it was not tested very much on SIngleTOS.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

OK, some progress. I tried the older Texel 2.20 on the TOS 2.06 Steem system and it crashed also with NVDI5.

So I closed Steem and loaded the same GEMDOS drive through Hatari and it worked! Both 2.20 and 2.30 ran fine even with NVDI5 and SingleTOS.

So something in my Steem setup seemed to be the culprit. I checked the settings and didn't see anything in particular.

But then I realized the only difference between my Steem setup my Hatari was that Hatari was in Monochrome and Steem was in Medium Color.

So I set Steem to Monochrome and rebooted it...Surprise, Texel runs fine now.

Of course, then I went to Hatari and switched it to Medium color and sure enough, Texel crashes there also.

So running Texel with SingleTOS and Medium rez with NVDI5 active crashes on both Hatari and Steem.
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8bitguy1
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by 8bitguy1 »

That is indeed interesting. I've only run it under monochrome. Except where necessary I use all the productivity type stuff in high res. I would have never thought to check it under med res.

I think high res monochrome is one of the best features of the ST!
PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by PeterS »

I use NVDI 5.03 on mint and Texel works fine.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Yes, I typically wouldn't run Texel in medium rez, but it was just the rez I was testing out the compiled version with. Seems like it might have revealed a bug. Interesting to note that it didn't crash in medium rez if using MagiC. And it only crashed on SingleTOS if NVDI5 was active. Without it, it does load ok there also.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Did you also try low-res, or any other color resolution?
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

ThorstenOtto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:49 pm Did you also try low-res, or any other color resolution?
Well, it looks like it won't run in low-res:

Selection_298.png

Using extended VDI screen in Steem for some reason would skip the AUTO folder so couldn't test with it.

On Hatari, the extended VDI 640x480x4 crashes with 4 bombs when launching Texel.
With extended VDI 640x480x2 (monochrome) it loads and runs fine. Strange.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

I have a question about the release history of Texel. In the text document from the repository, there is mention of releases 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.

I noticed one of the features of 4.0 is export in 123 format. I checked on our 2.30 version and that feature is not implemented.

So, were 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 just a roadmap for intended improvements or were they released as betas anywhere?

Code: Select all

Release-History
---------------
Texel 4.0:
- mehrere Zeilen pro Zelle
- mehrere Attribute/Fonts pro Zelle
- DB-Listen incl. schreiben
- 123-Export
- Attribute bei Zahlenformaten
- Zellschutz
- Notizen
----------
Texel 3.5 (Herbst 1999):
- Zellpositionsberechnung intelligenter
- gedrehte Textobjekte
- Stringfunktionen (neuer Formelparser?)
- Regression
- bessere Diagramme (externes Modul)
- ID4-Server
----------
Texel 3.0 (Frhjahr 1999):
- Rahmen "zwischen" Zellen
- XY-Plots
- Metafiles unter NVDI ausgeben
- Ausfllen
- Bereiche exportieren
- Arbeitsmappen
- Texteingabe direkt in die Zelle
- ber Zellen zentrierter Text
- Formate bertragen
- schnelleres Redraw (Offsets merken)
- weitere Dialogelemente
arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by arf »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:31 am I agree, this was unlikely be done on purpose. But since Texel uses the multi-tasking capabilities a lot, i would not be surprised if it was not tested very much on SIngleTOS.
Towards later version of Texel (esp. after 2.0++) the testing on SingleTOS was minimal. Both Thomas and me had moved to MagiC(Mac) only, and 2 other beta testers were N.AES users. Thomas and me both had a Falcon, too, and tested from time to time with TOS 4.02 (me) and 4.04 (Thomas), but, as said, that has been minimal.
arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by arf »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm I have a question about the release history of Texel. In the text document from the repository, there is mention of releases 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.

I noticed one of the features of 4.0 is export in 123 format. I checked on our 2.30 version and that feature is not implemented.
There is no Texel 3.0 or higher versions, neither as release or beta.
arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by arf »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:12 pm With extended VDI 640x480x2 (monochrome) it loads and runs fine. Strange.
I tested Texel to successfully run on 512x342 with a special font for 80x25 - worked. Color modes below 16 colors were never tested, AFAIK, we didn’t have a machine capable of doing this at the time. I sold my PowerBook 150 (4 grays, replaced by PowerBook 190) 2-3 months before Texel development took off.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

arf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:06 pm
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm I have a question about the release history of Texel. In the text document from the repository, there is mention of releases 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.

There is no Texel 3.0 or higher versions, neither as release or beta.
Thanks, I didn't think so, but it was curious to see them mentioned in the history file.
arf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:08 pm
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:12 pm With extended VDI 640x480x2 (monochrome) it loads and runs fine. Strange.
I tested Texel to successfully run on 512x342 with a special font for 80x25 - worked. Color modes below 16 colors were never tested, AFAIK, we didn’t have a machine capable of doing this at the time. I sold my PowerBook 150 (4 grays, replaced by PowerBook 190) 2-3 months before Texel development took off.
Well until someone else confirms this possible bug, then it remains a mystery of my system. But I can understand that there was a finite number of testing configurations towards the end of Texel development. That's what is nice about the release of the source. Things like this can be explored and if needed a fix released.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm So I set Steem to Monochrome and rebooted it...Surprise, Texel runs fine now.
I supposed anyone seriously working with productivity tools use a monochrome.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

wongck wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 am
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:59 pm So I set Steem to Monochrome and rebooted it...Surprise, Texel runs fine now.
I supposed anyone seriously working with productivity tools use a monochrome.
Oh sure, but then with MagiCMac and other solutions, high resolutions with color started becoming more prevalent. But I guess the point is that if this is indeed a SingleTOS/NVDI5 bug, it is not good to have it simply crash the system since configurations such as a VoFa adapter could be present in such a system which would offer resolutions that would be more than adequate to run Texel.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, but since the bug seems only be related to the combination of color/nvdi5/singletos, it will be hard to debug. Might as well be a bug in NVDI.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

As I only have my Falcon out now, Not sure what I am testing....

1. TOS 4.04 Videl inside 800x600 256C no NVDI .... Texel runs
2. TOS 4.04 Videl inside 800x600 256C NVDI 3.02.... Texel runs
3. TOS 4.04 Videl inside 800x600 256C NVDI 4.11.... Texel runs
4. TOS 4.04 Videl inside 800x600 256C NVDI 5.13.... Texel does not run
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

ThorstenOtto wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:35 am Yes, but since the bug seems only be related to the combination of color/nvdi5/singletos, it will be hard to debug. Might as well be a bug in NVDI.
True, it could be a bug in NVDI5, since wongck's test seems to indicate Texel runs with other versions of NVDI.
gstoll

Post by gstoll »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm Could you provided an updated texel version with it?
So there is a new version.

I hope it works, I had some problems to compile it. The only changes in the german version is the build date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Thanks, I just tried it and it seems to work so far.

Btw, what problems did you have to compile it? I just pulled the updated files and compiled through PurePascal with no problems here.

I did notice my compiled texel.prg was 962,588 bytes and the one you posted was 996,890 bytes. Is this because you maybe have some different compiler options? Here is a screenshot of what I am using to compile with:

Selection_300.png
1200XLMULE
Atarian
Atarian

Post by 1200XLMULE »

I joined the forum here after hearing about Texel and I wanted to say thank you to the people here who helped put it together. This is great work and I really appreciate what you have done here. So ... thank you!

I downloaded Texel and managed to get it running on 520 STe with 4 MB of RAM. Figuring out where to find NVDI and how to install it was challenging. Somehow I managed it?

What is the maximum number of rows and columns available? I seem unable to go beyond column "P".

Thanks again for this! :)
1200XLMULE
Atarian
Atarian

Post by 1200XLMULE »

I figured out my issue with not being able to go beyond column "P".

I imported a CSV file that only had 16 columns, which would fill out to column "P". In order to go beyond column "P" I had to change the spreadsheet configuration and increase the overall column count. When I increased the column count to 26 then columns "Q" through "Z" appeared.

Operator error, yes? :) I have some learning to do here and that's OK in my book.
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

I just tried Texel version 2.30 from 28.02.2021 on my Milan , with Magic and nvdi 5.03
Texel starts. However, when I try to open a new window, it gives an 'exception #11' error.

When I switch on to start Texel with a new blanc sheet, it refuses to do so.
gstoll

Post by gstoll »

Mark_G wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 am I just tried Texel version 2.30 from 28.02.2021 on my Milan , with Magic and nvdi 5.03
Texel starts. However, when I try to open a new window, it gives an 'exception #11' error.
I test it on my Milan with the german and english version. I can open an present sheet and a new one without problems.

An exception #11' error is Line-F. Is a silly question, but FPU__2M.prg is started?
Mark_G wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 am When I switch on to start Texel with a new blanc sheet, it refuses to do so.
What does that mean?
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Thank you for the hint. :cheers:

How simple can it be.
I unzipped and started FPU__2M.prg. Thereafter Texel works fine.

Thank you very much. I'll put 'FPU__2M.prg' in the AUTO folder.

Return to “Applications”