All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Texel sources available

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

gstoll wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:04 pm
8bitguy1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 pm The format is set to : [DD].[MM].[YY] and when I enter "09.02.21" I get "/02/" as output.
You must use the german shortcut [TT].[MM].[JJ]
Ah that explains the output then. Thanks.
8bitguy1
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by 8bitguy1 »

Ok thanks. This .frm will change all the dialogs in the formats area to German no?

Are there any plans to translate it to English (perhaps I can assist?)
gstoll

Post by gstoll »

8bitguy1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 pm Ok thanks. This .frm will change all the dialogs in the formats area to German no?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

:) thank you good sir!
gstoll

Post by gstoll »

All text are in english. Only the on in english.zip Maybe some can translate them.

The only change in the code, which I make longtime ago, is that it can handle [TT].[MM].[JJ] and [DD].[MM].[YY] 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Great, thank you again!

Here is a translation of your ENGLISH.INC file. Could you provided an updated texel version with it?

ENGLISH.INC.zip
gstoll

Post by gstoll »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm Here is a translation of your ENGLISH.INC file.
Thanks, I add it to the source on GitHub.
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm Could you provided an updated texel version with it?
Maybe, in eight month. Like the other change I make. ;-)

The text are not really importan, they are for the BubbleGEM help.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

gstoll wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:46 pm Maybe, in eight month. Like the other change I make. ;-)
Haha, PurePascal must be a sloooow compiler. :lol:

Glad to see you back on the board.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

gstoll wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:08 pm Thanks to Thomas!

I make a fork to my github. There is now no key needed anymore.

At the moment I look for the english version, because all files are in german. Thanks to Derryck Croker from DDP Translations who allowed it to use the translations.

If someone compile it, there is a patch for PurePascal respectively the SYSTEM.PPU. I don't know if it necessary. It will no patch something if the SYSTEM.PPU is ok.

I want to compile my own version. I need a little help though.

My understanding is this (I've never used PurePascal)

1) Pull the fork from github

2) Patch SYSTEM.PPU in PurePascal

3) Compile the code somehow to make TEXEL.APP

My question is could someone briefly describe what to do in PurePascal to make it compile the program? Also, how do I tell PurePascal to compile the English version with Gerhard's fork? Is there a switch or something? Thanks for any help!
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Ok, I cloned the project and set the paths in PurePascal. I am getting an Out Of Memory error during compilation at TXMAIN.PAS.

I did apply the SYSTEM.PPU patches, but I don't know if I have the right version of PurePascal so don't know if the patches took.

Mine says Version July 31, 1995. Is that the right one?

**Edit* *

Ok, It worked and compiled the source into TEXEL.PRG. I had to set steem to simulate 14MB of ram as it ran out of memory with 4MB.

To compile into English, add a line to the file TEXEL.PAS

Code: Select all

{$DEFINE ENGLISH}
Set up the PurePascal working paths in the "Directories" dialog and set the option "Write programs to disk" in the Compiler dialog.

Then just "Make All" from the Compile menu and when it is done TEXEL.PRG will be in whatever directory that was set for "Programs" in the "Output directories" section of the "Directories" dialog.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm Ok, I cloned the project and set the paths in PurePascal. I am getting an Out Of Memory error during compilation at TXMAIN.PAS.
Yes, had the same problem some time ago when trying to compile it. Running FOLDR100.PRG fixed it (provided you have enough real RAM).
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

ThorstenOtto wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:58 am
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm Ok, I cloned the project and set the paths in PurePascal. I am getting an Out Of Memory error during compilation at TXMAIN.PAS.
Yes, had the same problem some time ago when trying to compile it. Running FOLDR100.PRG fixed it (provided you have enough real RAM).
Thanks, good to know. As I mentioned I was using Steem, so I didn't have to run FOLDR100.PRG but I did have to simulate 14MB ram.

One thing that is confusing me is in TEXEL.PAS there are the lines:

{$DEFINE WDIALOG}
{DEFINE NVDI5}
I believe these are there for the printer dialog. I assume the second line is inactive since it is missing the "$" in front of the "DEFINE" keyword.

My question is are these options WDIALOG and NVDI5 mutually exclusive so I can only use one or the other or can both be active?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I only took a brief look at the source, and thats already some time ago. And yes, the 2nd define without the "$" is inactive. IIRC, if you define it, Texel will require NVDI, and not run without it. But maybe Gerhard can tell more.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Doing some testing regarding the WDIALOG and NVDI5 options in Gerhard's English fork.

With WDIALOG flag
With NVDI5 and WDIALOG running from the AUTO folder and Texel compiled with the WDIALOG flag, Texel crashes on program startup.

With only WDIALOG running from the AUTO folder, Texel will start normally.

With only NVDI5 running from the AUTO folder, Texel complains about WDIALOG missing and won't start, but doesn't bomb out.

With NVDI5 flag
Now compiling Texel again with the NVDI5 flag and disabling the WDIALOG flag, the compilation fails at TXMAINOB.PAS with the error:

Label declared and referenced, but not set: _WEITER
The code in reference is:

procedure TDeviceBox.Work;
	label _fehler,_weiter;				line 485
	  goto _weiter			              line 569
	end;
	  names[pcb^.drvcnt]:='  '+ltoa(q);
	  pcb^.shortnames[pcb^.drvcnt]:='';
	  pcb^.longnames[pcb^.drvcnt]:='';
	  devfound[pcb^.drvcnt]:=false;
	_weiter:				              line 575

As you can see, _weiter is set as a label and referenced later in the procedure. I can't see why the error is being thrown during compilation. Any Pascal experts that could explain it?
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Then just "Make All" from the Compile menu and when it is done TEXEL.PRG will be in whatever directory that was set for "Programs" in the "Output directories" section of the "Directories" dialog.
Could you just post the completed version here? or on Github?
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Well I'm not sure Gerhard would like that. It's his fork so I want to respect his work. Besides, he just posted the latest version a few posts up. What I did didn't change anything from that. I just was working on getting the ability to compile it set up. :)

If you could, though, test the version above with your system and NVDI5 and tell us here in the thread if it crashes for you. That would be a big help.
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

I don't normally run 5, but I'll set something up later today and give it a go...
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

More testing on Gerhard's English fork.

With both WDIALOG and NVDI5 flags set

With WDIALOG run from the AUTO folder, Texel won't start and shows a dialog saying "Texel needs NVDI since Version 5.0."

With WDIALOG and NVDI run from the AUTO folder, Texel crashes and freezes system.

With only NVDI running from auto folder, Texel reports that "Your operating system unfortunately has no printer dialog routines. Please install WDIALOG V2 or higher in your AUTO folder. Under N.AES install as an auto-start application in the file "N_AES.CNF"

Summary

No version of this fork will successfully run with NVDI5 on my system. The caveat is that the version compiling with *just* the NVDI5 flag cannot be tested since the compilation fails with the error pointed out in the previous post above.

I also tried the version Gerhard posted above and it also crashes in the presence of NVDI5 on my system.

So the apparent inability to run with NVDI5 present is a serious problem. Any other users experiences trying to run it with NVDI5 is appreciated because maybe I have some error with my NVDI5 installation. It's hard to say without some outside confirmation.

Note

The sizes of Texel vary also depending on the flags set:

WDIALOG flag only - 997004 bytes
WDIALOG and NVDI5 flag - 994710 bytes
NVDI5 flag only - unable to compile due to compile time error.
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Regarding the compile error with TXMAINOB.PAS with just the NVDI5 flag set.

Label declared and referenced, but not set: _WEITER
The code sets the label _weiter in a section of code compiled *only* if WDIALOG flag is not set i.e.

{$IFNDEF WDIALOG}

procedure TDeviceBox.Work;
	label _fehler,_weiter;
But the use of _weiter is in a block below the label that is *only* compiled if NVDI5 is not set i.e.

{$IFNDEF NVDI5}

<snip>
			goto _weiter
	<snip>
			_weiter:
	<snip>
		{$ENDIF}
So with only the NVDI5 flag set, the label was created but the code to reference it was never compiled so hence the error. The solution I used to solve the error was to only set the label if NVDI5 flag was not set i.e.

label _fehler,_weiter;
becomes

label _fehler;
	{$IFNDEF NVDI5}
		label _weiter;
	{$ENDIF}
This allows TXMAINOB.PAS to compile with the NVDI5 flag set.

However, the compiling continued and eventually failed further along at TXMAIN.PAS with 2 errors:

line 19542: Undeclared identifier: POPTIONS
line 19542: Pointer type required
and the failing code:

if TexelApp.options<>nil then POptions(TexelApp.options)^.PageSetup;
Not sure what to do now. Hopefully someone can pop in and offer some help.

P.S. Trying to compile with both the WDIALOG and NVDI5 flags disabled also leads to the same compile error so maybe that is a clue.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I think that these compiler errors are an indication that setting NVDI5 does not work anymore, or at least has not been tested for a long time. Maybe it was once used for older code, that is not needed anymore? Anyway, i would not spend much time in figuring that out, unless you have a reason to do so.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

ThorstenOtto wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:01 am I think that these compiler errors are an indication that setting NVDI5 does not work anymore, or at least has not been tested for a long time. Maybe it was once used for older code, that is not needed anymore? Anyway, i would not spend much time in figuring that out, unless you have a reason to do so.
Yes, I think you are correct. I noticed Thomas Much's master on github also had the NVDI5 flag disabled. So I'll not pursue that anymore.

So now the remaining question is why does it crash with NVDI5 loaded?
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Ok, it is working under MagiC with NVDI5. So that is good. Still crashing under TOS 2.06 when NVDI5 is active. Going to reinstall NVDI5 on the TOS system and see if something was wrong with the NVDI installation.
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

I can't even get NVDI 5 to run on my TOS 2.06 system. Not much help I'm afraid. :( Maybe my copy of NVDI 5 is corrupt
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Ok, I reinstalled NVDI5 on the TOS 2.06 system and Texel still crashes with NVDI loaded.

I also tried with TOS 1.62 and it crashed also.

The only configuration I got to work was with a MagiC system and NVDI5.

Looks like there is a problem with at least some TOS versions with this version of Texel when used with NVDI.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 pm The only configuration I got to work was with a MagiC system and NVDI5.
Not entirely surprised by that.... software distributed by ASH will work best in their MAgiC/NVDI eco system.
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 pm Looks like there is a problem with at least some TOS versions with this version of Texel when used with NVDI.
Could be a business decision back then.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list

Return to “Applications”