Ghostlink: Alternatives?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Ghostlink: Alternatives?

Post by bullis1 »

PaulB wrote:I'm using a Falcon at the mo but also achieved 115000kbs on a MegaSTE before I got the Falcon.

I think (but don't quote me on that) that a normal st/e can achieve 56000kbs but you have to use hsmodem 7 that patches the badly written TOS routines for the serial port.
Good to know. I think I'm going to grab hsmodem 7 because it seems like a very good utility to have around.

I'm thinking I will probably get better results for what I'm trying to attempt with a parallel-port solution however. Less drivers/patches to worry about and I can say 100% that my parports are working on all my machines. If this fails I'll probably give Ghostlink another try with a different setup, and give up if that fails :wink:

I haven't tested hdd_dmn yet because it's been way to hot and humid where I live to be inside messing with electronics. I've spent more time swimming than computing in my free hours.
Member of the Atari Legend team
jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jd »

Definitely - anything going through the serial port whether it's a Falcon or an ST you should have HSMODEM installed.

I'm sure it streamlines some other ports as well........not 100% on that one, it was a long time ago and all in german!!! :)
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Okay, I tried out hdd_dmn last night and got basically the same issues as with Ghostlink. Both machines sat there trying to connect forever. Very strange, the PC program was properly configured and everything. I also tried a variety of cables. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the laptop, even though it appears to function perfectly. Maybe the the parallel port on it is only one-directional. That would be odd though, since the laptop is from 1997 and parallel ports were the main method of transferring data to/from laptops at the time. Anyway, it was no big deal and I didn't try to get it working for very long because this was all an experiment and not a necessity. I'm not blaming the software for it not working. I would probably have no problem with connecting my ST to my desktop as I'm extremely familiar with its hardware and settings, so maybe I'll try that in the future.

Oh, and here's a strange thing that happened: HDD_DMN was not able to connect, but it did report a transfer rate (in both directions) of 50kb/s when the ST was turned off. :lol:
ppera

Post by ppera »

Setting parallel port to bidirectional may require some BIOS (CMOS) setup corrections...
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

ppera wrote:Setting parallel port to bidirectional may require some BIOS (CMOS) setup corrections...
Good point. I didn't check the laptop's BIOS. I just assumed that Windows 98 was reporting correctly (which it probably isn't).
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

Isn't the laplink cable a null parallel? And I am right then this is the same as the cable required for PARCP?

I'm solder-phobe so it would be good news if it was........
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

rocket-dog wrote:Isn't the laplink cable a null parallel? And I am right then this is the same as the cable required for PARCP?

I'm solder-phobe so it would be good news if it was........
PARCP's documentation states that a laplink cable is the same as the PARCP cable.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

Thanks! I am master at the missing blatantly obvious, apparently it is something to do with my personality type. Knowing these cables are one in the same, coupled with what simbo has just told me about configuring ports on Windows XP means I can now have a go at PARCP as well as Ghostlink.
mrnukem
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by mrnukem »

bullis1 wrote:Well, I did some more tests with my gear. The laptop and ST serial ports work fine and the null-modem cable works fine, but I can't establish a connection with Ghostlink. Hmmm... I'm stumped now.
After I installed a 3rd party High Speed Serial Driver Desktop Accessory on my ST I was able to get Ghostlink to work. For some reason it did not like the default ST serial drivers.
** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

mrnukem wrote:After I installed a 3rd party High Speed Serial Driver Desktop Accessory on my ST I was able to get Ghostlink to work. For some reason it did not like the default ST serial drivers.
What was it called? Also, what model ST were you using?
pjones1063
Atariator
Atariator

Post by pjones1063 »

I have always run GhostLink on my raspberry pi with DosBox. Just need to point the COM1 port to /dev/ttyIUSB0 in the DosBox configuration file.
pjones1063
Atariator
Atariator

Post by pjones1063 »

A very good how to for setting up GhostLInk:

https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2016/02 ... -pc-to-st/
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

bullis1 wrote: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 pm I can't remember where I got Ghostlink. I found it on my harddrive. If you google it you should find it: http://uml.darkspace.org.uk/mirrors/Ata ... ink-v1.02/
To use it, all you need is the programs in the zip file and a "null modem cable" on your serial ports. It seems very straight forward and it has a readme file that explains what to do.
nativ wrote:Koola,
What was the last version of Ghostlink? I can find 1.02.
Sounds interesting . . . . . .
I take it this can be happily used to connect an St to a Falcon, to use Scsi devices?
thanks
Ashley
I can find 1.02 as well. I don't know if it's the last version for sure.

Unfortunately 1.02 doesn't let you connect two Atari computers together. It only lets you use a PC as the slave.

Here is a copy of Ghostlink.
GHOSTLNK.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

With the introduction of the Lightning USB it would be a challenge but how about someone re-write this great utility?
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.

Return to “Applications”