freeMint Web Browser , witch one?

FreeMiNT related questions are answered here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, ThorstenOtto, mikro, Moderator Team

Lostboysix
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: freeMint Web Browser , witch one?

Post by Lostboysix »

Thank you for your kind word, mikro!

OS market share in december '21 according to statista:

Windows: 73,72%
Mac: 15,33 %
Linux: 2,09%

Rest is others as Chrome OS etc.

So currently only 2,09% of all potential users can download the latest updated builds with all the bugfixes you guys put so much work and efforts into.

The rest would need to do own builds (which is really not trivial), switch to Linux (also not that easy if you don´t have a spare system) or stick with outdated versions.

Am I missing something?
If not that´s super frustrating for everyone. For the developers, because their work can only be appreciated and enjoyed by a small, tiny fraction of the people and for the regular mac/windows users (which is almost 90% of the market) because they have to stick with old or buggy versions and then are even being called out for that... ;)
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Lostboysix wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm Thank you for your kind word, mikro!

OS market share in december '21 according to statista:

Windows: 73,72%
Mac: 15,33 %
Linux: 2,09%

Rest is others as Chrome OS etc.
Those statistics seem pretty much bogus. It's for example missing (Linux based) Android, which has larger OS market share than Windows.

(Chrome OS is also Linux based.)
Lostboysix wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm So currently only 2,09% of all potential users can download the latest updated builds with all the bugfixes you guys put so much work and efforts into.

The rest would need to do own builds (which is really not trivial)
Btw. Why Aranym Windows builds are not done on Linux with MinGW, like Hatari Windows builds are?

Lostboysix wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm switch to Linux (also not that easy if you don´t have a spare system) or stick with outdated versions.

Am I missing something?
You don't need spare system to run Linux. Just install one of the WSL2 supported Linux distros from Windows app store, and run it inside Windows. Or dual-boot your machine. Or run Linux from external harddisk / USB stick.
Lostboysix
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Lostboysix »

Those statistics seem pretty much bogus. It's for example missing (Linux based) Android, which has larger OS market share than Windows.
Sorry. You are right. I obviously forgot to mention the billions of people, who are running Android or iOS on their PCs.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Eero, it's not that simple.

First, Aranym doesn't support proper networking in MinGW, so you have to go for Cygwin. Not sure how well cygwin builds are supported in Linux.

Second, WSL2 is text-only, at least last I checked. You can't run SDL GUI applications. Plus the same problem, there's no "native" support for networking in Aranym.

And third, most important one: SOMEBODY HAS TO DO IT. ;)

So yeah, booting a Linux seems like the easiest way these days but even writing this makes me feel bad, because we shouldn't really recommend users this path, if they are happy with their Windows OS. Especially because of all the work put into Windows/Mac OS builds.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

mikro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 am First, Aranym doesn't support proper networking in MinGW,
I haven't used it like that, but theoretically, that isn't true. The networking on windows uses WINTAP, which has nothing to do with cygwin, on should therefor work for MingW the same.

But you are right, the default build for windows still uses cygwin, and there are no cross compilers for it. At least i haven't seen any.
Second, WSL2 is text-only, at least last I checked.
For building aranym, that would be good enough.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Well, Eero talked about running it in WSL2, not compiling it -- so that really isn't possible (so far).

And correct, networking isn't the biggest issue, the JIT is. That's why we need Cygwin in the first place.
saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by saulot »

WSL2 isn't text only. It supports hardware accelerated graphics too and gui apps. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... s/gui-apps. Also for building Docker can be used with proper image. Recently created image with some Atari cross compilers to automate builds on my Bitbucket repository.

Return to “FreeMiNT support”