New GlueStiK version available

FreeMiNT related questions are answered here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, ThorstenOtto, mikro, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

New GlueStiK version available

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I've just pushed some changes to gluestik, incorporating the changes found in the MagicNet version (see also https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=40009). That new version should hopefully supports both MintNet and MagicNet. Since we still have no new solution where to upload snapshot build, i'm attaching it here. The archive just contains the binaries (two different versions actually, one compiled by gcc, another one by Pure-C, but otherwise they should be functionally equivalent). Would be nice if someone could check that version (also with MagiC), and report any problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New GlueStiK version available

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Thanks for the updated files. Both the gcc and Pure-C versions work for me with Litchi-FTP and MagiC 6.20/MagicNet 1.42b on my STE.

I did encounter a problem running your PING.PRG. The message was "Cannot set ICMP handler". Is this expected?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, that's expected. It should not crash anymore, but gluestik does not implement some functions that are only supported by STinG, but not by StiK. In its current version, it relies on the STinG function. But there must also be a different way to achieve the same thing, the magcnet package also has a (commandline version) of Ping. If i only had the source... looks like the command line tools were compiled by Pure-C, but using a very ancient version of mintlib. If i'm not wrong, that was mintlib 0.49, for which i found sources in Gerhard's thing repository. But that is really a strange mix, since that version does not have any support for socket functions.

Good to know that the programs work ;) Thanks for testing. Now need someone to the same with Mint :D
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Without digging 20 some years, DLM supplied a "keyboard" patch for programs supplied under Pure C.
Don't think it was Afterburner specific.
Found his patch (heck, I'll try anything) worked on many programs. Not entirely what it fixed, it changed some code present in Pure C compiled programs.

After all the years, is this patch, to your knowledge, still necessary?

Thanks for the effort, hope to try a MagiC in ROM setup soon :)

Think the CT60 Falcon still has MiNT Net working, I'll slide it over and check.
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

I've done a quick test on my Milan with Milanmagic and magicnet (version??)
I used aFTP1.55 for STik. I downloaded to my Milan successfully a file (The zipped TEXEL 2.30 file) with both versions of your GlueSTik.
One session after an other of course. The zip was not corrupted.

I got the impression that the transfer was faster with the gcc version. However, I didn't verify in detail yet.
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Done some tests on Milan with Milanmagic, where the program is stored in the 'gemsys/magic/start' folder.

Tested with 'Highwire 0.3.4 b6'
with stik2.ovl as 'network.ovl'.

glue_pc.prg => works.
glue_gcc.prg => FAILS with error : 'No route to host.'

Tested with 'CAB2.7'
with cab.ovl from Olivier Booklage

glue_pc.prg => works
glue_gcc.prg => FAILS
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Hm, that's funny. I would not have expected that the gcc version gives problems. Which driver are you using, slip?
Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Mark_G »

Hereafter, you'll find an extract of my boot log file.
MAGX-NeT dated Jan 22 2003q
MagX-Net 1.4 PL 2, beta
1998-2003 Vassilis Papathanassiou

Loading interfaces:

ENEM.MIF EtherNE driver v1.14 prd (C) 2002 Dr. Thomas Redelberger
Device (en0) MAC: 52:54:4c:03:6d:4e:
The networkcard :
ISA-PnP configuration utility for Milan
Board 1 has Identity 49 08 6b 38 4b c5 00 8c 0e: CTL00c5 Serial No 14411 [checksum 49]
Board 2 has Identity 6a 00 03 6d 4e 19 80 8c 4a: RTL8019 Serial No 27982 [checksum 6a]
You find the full log file here :
boot.log.txt
If you want other info, feel free to ask.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ektus »

Both versions work for me on Falcon CT2A with latest MagiCNet beta. Tested with MyMail and In2Cat. But they are very unstable, freezing the system halfway through the download of some e-Mails. I've had this before, but seems to have gotten worse with the new version.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

To sum up my private communication with Mark: the problem with the gcc-compiled version was only a setup problem, and only specific to MagiC. mintlib was mainly designed for MiNT (obviously ;) and there are some pitfalls when using such programs under MagiC (which also applies to the command line tools btw. that come with magxnet, like ifconfig.ttp).
  • make sure the UNIXMODE environment variable is set to something like /rUs. Adding an _ENV entry to magx.inf should do that.

Code: Select all

_ENV UNIXMODE=/rUs
  • make sure the symlinks u:\etc and u:\usr exist, and check that u:\etc points to the same directory as the etc_path variable in magx_rc.net (or just change etc_path to u:\etc)
Or, alternatively, just use the Pure-C version for now ;) However, snapshot builds from freemint (once they are available again) will only contain the gcc-compiled version.

Return to “FreeMiNT support”