Apple Macintosh aka Plus Too

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Apple Macintosh aka Plus Too

Post by slingshot »

I've recently improved the multi-sector SCSI operations performance considerably. The audio crackings can be because the core is not cycle-exact: the video timings are not exactly the same, nor the contention because of concurrent access of the RAM by the video hardware and the CPU is not replicated.
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

slingshot wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm I've recently improved the multi-sector SCSI operations performance considerably. The audio crackings can be because the core is not cycle-exact: the video timings are not exactly the same, nor the contention because of concurrent access of the RAM by the video hardware and the CPU is not replicated.
Thanks for this insight. I suspect some audio contexts on the Plus are sensitive to cycle-exactness but others, not so much.

I look forward to testing the SCSI improvements. Still hacking at the SE?
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

meauxdal wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm
slingshot wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm I've recently improved the multi-sector SCSI operations performance considerably. The audio crackings can be because the core is not cycle-exact: the video timings are not exactly the same, nor the contention because of concurrent access of the RAM by the video hardware and the CPU is not replicated.
Thanks for this insight. I suspect some audio contexts on the Plus are sensitive to cycle-exactness but others, not so much.

I look forward to testing the SCSI improvements. Still hacking at the SE?
Yes, the ADB is a beast. Luckily there are Till Harbaum's great hack, which allows to use the core's SCSI module as an SCSI driver in minivmac, so I can test parts of the core in the emulator! Just had to update to the latest minivmac, now it supports SE and SCSI disks ;)
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

Running games with the SCSI Accelerator enabled is great, loading times are way down and smoothness is up. Silly Apple, they should have released such a software themselves - a huge jump in performance for a miniscule bit of code!

Just learned Oh No! More Lemmings has totally unique music from the first game, and it sounds absolutely lovely on this core. Good times :cheers:
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

Another interesting thread on the 68kmla forums, some schematics on later pages for accelerators
https://68kmla.org/forums/topic/61703-n ... -68k-macs/
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

I'm testing last HD images.Outstanding! :cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

meauxdal wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:50 pm Running games with the SCSI Accelerator enabled is great, loading times are way down and smoothness is up. Silly Apple, they should have released such a software themselves - a huge jump in performance for a miniscule bit of code!
The SE mode surely doesn't need the Accelerator :)
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

Uploaded the latest version of the image to archive.org. The name of the item is "MacPack-20210515 for MiSTer FPGA" if you need to track it down via search. Follow my user account there, I'll post new items to my account once further stable updates are available. Cheers!
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

Some nice new MAME Mac code to look at - might be of interest

https://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=1436
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

New MacPack in the wild. Can be had from the usual Google Doc or at archive.org. Name of item on archive.org is 'MacPack-20210609 for MiSTer FPGA' - should be indexed shortly. Over 900 games on the main drive alone now, over 1,000 including the supplement and floppy disks.
slingshot
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by slingshot »

meauxdal wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:21 pm New MacPack in the wild. Can be had from the usual Google Doc or at archive.org. Name of item on archive.org is 'MacPack-20210609 for MiSTer FPGA' - should be indexed shortly. Over 900 games on the main drive alone now, over 1,000 including the supplement and floppy disks.
Thanks! Meanwhile ADB is working finally. Only the selection for upper/lower internal FDD should be handled now for an SE upgrade.
(Why not just for FPGA? Or...just MacPack-{date})
jokker
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by jokker »

Tis true, I use the Macpack on my actual Mac Plus via BlueSCSI more then any other platform. Other then needing to disable the SCSI Accelerator it works great for me that way.
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

slingshot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:33 pm
meauxdal wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:21 pm New MacPack in the wild. Can be had from the usual Google Doc or at archive.org. Name of item on archive.org is 'MacPack-20210609 for MiSTer FPGA' - should be indexed shortly. Over 900 games on the main drive alone now, over 1,000 including the supplement and floppy disks.
Thanks! Meanwhile ADB is working finally. Only the selection for upper/lower internal FDD should be handled now for an SE upgrade.
(Why not just for FPGA? Or...just MacPack-{date})
Hooray re: ADB and SE support! Exciting times!

Re: explicitly calling out MiSTer, there's not too much behind it, but it makes sense to me to throw that on there in some contexts.

The instructions are all geared toward MiSTer users, whom I would imagine make up the majority of the users of the pack. The included .rbf is MiSTer-only. I also tend to think the real hardware users and MiST folks will generally have an easier time getting by without explicit handholding. All that, and I don't have real hardware or a MiST/etc. to test on.

At any rate, I consider it worthwhile to add that to the item title to make it more obvious to searchers what they've found - not always trivial on archive.org - but once you're there, the name of the item in the URL and filename is just MacPack-20210609.
Last edited by meauxdal on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meauxdal
Atariator
Atariator

Post by meauxdal »

jokker wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 pm Tis true, I use the Macpack on my actual Mac Plus via BlueSCSI more then any other platform. Other then needing to disable the SCSI Accelerator it works great for me that way.
I am extremely happy this works OK on real hardware!!!
vebxenon
Atari God
Atari God

Post by vebxenon »

Thank you :cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Return to “MiST”