Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am Austerlitz [KF-SCP] added
Austerlitz has track 0 modified on disk 1 and 2 (bad since this game use the copylock short type 12 sectors on the 4 first tracks).

Your disks are infected with Bootblock virus Ghostlink A !

Maybe we can ask to our Atari collectors friends if they have Austerlitz in original, this way we could have a set of IPF, and repair your copy :D !
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:02 pm SuperOffRoad[16Blitz] [KF-SCP] also added.
Seems fine, it uses a speedlock Amiga track for protection, and Speedlock Amiga tracks, that are unfortunately not supported (same problem as with the retail 2 disks version of Batman the Movie).
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

Aesop Fable is fine too. It uses the Ben Herndon HLS protection on disk 1 track 79.0.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

dlfrsilver wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 pm
kodak80 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am Austerlitz [KF-SCP] added
Austerlitz has track 0 modified on disk 1 and 2 (bad since this game use the copylock short type 12 sectors on the 4 first tracks).

Your disks are infected with Bootblock virus Ghostlink A !

Maybe we can ask to our Atari collectors friends if they have Austerlitz in original, this way we could have a set of IPF, and repair your copy :D !
As this is infected, I have now removed it from the repository. If anyone has downloaded this, please delete the copy you have or you risk spreading the virus to your other disks. Would also appreciate it if anyone has a dump of this game that I could use to repair my disks.
STF Remake H4/H5 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the ST Action & Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:52 pm Austerlitz [KF-SCP] added
As this is infected, I have now removed it from the repository. If anyone has downloaded this, please delete the copy you have or you risk spreading the virus to your other disks. Would also appreciate it if anyone has a dump of this game that I could use to repair my disks.
Don't delete the dump. The virus might have been there from factory. It wouldn't be the first time. Actually, the Pasti image at Atarimania seems to have a virus as well. So unless it's the same copy, then the virus is as "original" as it gets.

Do warn somehow that the image has a virus. May be put the image in a separate folder.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

ijor wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:06 pm
kodak80 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:52 pm Austerlitz [KF-SCP] added
Don't delete the dump. The virus might have been there from factory. It wouldn't be the first time. Actually, the Pasti image at Atarimania seems to have a virus as well. So unless it's the same copy, then the virus is as "original" as it gets.

Do warn somehow that the image has a virus. May be put the image in a separate folder.
Hi Ijor, The game has been duplicated. Both track 0 have been user modified. This means that someone did not protect his disks from writing, and the ghostlink virus went on them.

If the game was mastered with the virus, then i would have been able to encode the game in IPF. simply because the Copylock Short 12 sectors spans from tracks 0 to 4, and duplicated. Here, the SPS analyser says that the track 0 on each disk was tampered by an Atari ST machine.

We need a proper dump unmodified of Austerlitz :)

EDIT : one collector who gave me to process his original games for ST has submitted Austerlitz. I have a set of IPF, so this confirms Kodak original is modified.

Here is the fully correct set : https://we.tl/t-ndonKl0QAv

You'll find the CTR files and also the STX files for replacement on Atarimania.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

dlfrsilver wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 pm Hi Ijor, The game has been duplicated. Both track 0 have been user modified. This means that someone did not protect his disks from writing, and the ghostlink virus went on them.
Not exactly. Just because track 0 has been modified doesn't mean that the virus wasn't there from factory already. It only means that the user booted the game without write protecting the disk and the virus (which was already there from factory), overwrote the boot sector.
EDIT : one collector who gave me to process his original games for ST has submitted Austerlitz. I have a set of IPF, so this confirms Kodak original is modified.
And this set also has the virus. Just that the disk was never booted without write protection and then the boot sector was never overwritten.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

ijor wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:26 am
dlfrsilver wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 pm Hi Ijor, The game has been duplicated. Both track 0 have been user modified. This means that someone did not protect his disks from writing, and the ghostlink virus went on them.
Not exactly. Just because track 0 has been modified doesn't mean that the virus wasn't there from factory already. It only means that the user booted the game without write protecting the disk and the virus (which was already there from factory), overwrote the boot sector.
And this set also has the virus. Just that the disk was never booted without write protection and then the boot sector was never overwritten.
Arghhh !!! those sick bastards have mastered this game with the Ghostlink A (i checked it too with UVK 9.0). Ok, let's keep it like this then.
I will update the file (Mastered with virus GhostlinkA)
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Cool that we confirmed that this game was produced with a virus on it. Hard to believe it has taken until now for this to be found and confirmed.

Thanks for the IPFs. Will update my original disks and then write-protect them.
STF Remake H4/H5 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the ST Action & Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:17 am Thanks for the IPFs. Will update my original disks and then write-protect them.
You know, I might be a bit paranoid, but I have a kinda religious attitude about this. I never, ever, under any circumstances, write to an original disk. Furthermore, I don't even insert an original disk in the drive without write protecting.

What do you gain by writing back the IPF to the original disk? It would still have the virus and it won't perform any better. And in the worst case you could write back the IPF images to non original disks.

But, oh well, they are your disks and you can do what you want with them, of course. And we all certainly appreciate all the work you are doing with the repository, which is invaluable.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

As we have confirmed that my original dumps are... considered original, I have re-added the dump back. File is now called:

Austerlitz [KF-SCP] (KDK) ++WARNING ORIGINAL DISKS WERE MASTERED WITH BOOT VIRUS ++.7z

I have also added a text file inside the 7Zip file advising that the original disks contain the virus.

Use this dump at your own risk.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

Where it's just the bootsector which has been fried, I wonder if virus killer tools which have a db of proper bootsectors are useful instead of over writing the whole disk? I remember the exorcist virus killer had such a feature. It would of course be reliant on capturing the valid one from an original/image.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

MiggyMog wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:08 am Where it's just the bootsector which has been fried, I wonder if virus killer tools which have a db of proper bootsectors are useful instead of over writing the whole disk? I remember the exorcist virus killer had such a feature. It would of course be reliant on capturing the valid one from an original/image.
It has been misplaced by the virus. the problem is reversing the original bootblock to its native place.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Arctic Fox [ElectronicArts] [KF-SCP] (KDK) has now been added to the repository

Atarimania.com has a note that this game only works with TOS 1.0 and 1.62 but it seems to also work with other TOS versions for me.

If anyone else has dumps they would like to add, please let me know.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:31 am Arctic Fox [ElectronicArts] [KF-SCP] (KDK) has now been added to the repository

Atarimania.com has a note that this game only works with TOS 1.0 and 1.62 but it seems to also work with other TOS versions for me.

If anyone else has dumps they would like to add, please let me know.
IPF made from your dump, the game is protected with the HLS Herndon system.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Thank you to MugUK for these new SCP dumps, now added to the repository.

Game dumps:
Motorbike Madness (Mastertronic) (TOS v1.0 only) (SCP) (MugUK)
Silent Service (Microprose) (US release) (Needs manual) (SCP) (MugUK)

Educational Game dumps:
Better Spelling (School Software) (SCP) (MugUK)

Maths Mania (School Software) (SCP) (MugUK)

Micro French (LCL) (not STE - old STOS) (SCP) (MugUK)

Answer Back Junior Quiz (Kosmos) (SCP) (MugUK)

The French Mistress (Kosmos) (SCP) (MugUK)
The French Mistress (Kosmos) (2nd copy) (SCP) (MugUK)

The German Master (Kosmos) (SCP) (MugUK)
The Italian Tutor (Kosmos) (SCP) (MugUK)
The Spanish Tutor (Kosmos) (SCP) (MugUK)
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

There is another title by LCL (again, written in older STOS, so wasn't STE compatible), but it was written to my "restoration PC" hard disk over a bad sector and I need to redo the disk image.

There was also "Spell!" by Database Software, but that needs the disk cleaning before doing another attempt.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

3-D Galax KF and SCP dumps have been added to the repository. Rare game and missing from Atarimania.com

Galaxians in 3D fun. :D
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

3D galax is unfortunately modified on tracks scattered all over the disk.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

dlfrsilver wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:40 am 3D galax is unfortunately modified on tracks scattered all over the disk.
Thanks for checking the dump, modified is better then no dump. Maybe the game updates the disk as it runs. Has anyone submitted another non-modified dump to SPS?
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

If this is the case, i'm not aware of it.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:07 am
dlfrsilver wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:40 am 3D galax is unfortunately modified on tracks scattered all over the disk.
Thanks for checking the dump, modified is better then no dump. Maybe the game updates the disk as it runs.
Seems that somebody made a copy of the main program. The disk has a standard DOS/ST directory file structure. Somebody created a copy of the AUTO folder. The contents of the original AUTO folder and the copy are identical.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

ijor wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:11 pm
kodak80 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:07 am
Thanks for checking the dump, modified is better then no dump. Maybe the game updates the disk as it runs.
Seems that somebody made a copy of the main program. The disk has a standard DOS/ST directory file structure. Somebody created a copy of the AUTO folder. The contents of the original AUTO folder and the copy are identical.
Ah that's a shame but confirm my initial finding.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

dlfrsilver wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm Ah that's a shame but confirm my initial finding.
Yes, unfortunately. But although I can't be sure without a detailed analysis, the original program seems intact and unmodified. So, yes, it's a pity. But for a rare title, I agree with kodak80; this is certainly better than nothing at all.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

NOTE. I have renamed the existing ST Action magazine cover disk set dumps in the repository so the naming is now standardised. I believe there are 60 disks that were released with ST Action and not all issues had a cover disk. This should help with filling gaps for missing disk dumps.

Edit:ST User cover disk dumps have also been renamed to standardise the naming convention.

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”