Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Floppy Disk Stream Image Repository

Post by npomarede »

Hi
note that in Hatari you can "simulate" writes to STX files : if the floppy is "write enabled" in Hatari's config, it will create an "overlay" file where all sectors/tracks written by the game will be saved (with extension .wd1772). Later if such file is present, data will be loaded from it instead of using the original data for the corresponding sector/track of the STX file. This allows to support writes to STX files without altering the original STX file.
You can try this game under Hatari to check if it works correctly this way.

Nicolas
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

npomarede wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 am Hi
note that in Hatari you can "simulate" writes to STX files : if the floppy is "write enabled" in Hatari's config, it will create an "overlay" file where all sectors/tracks written by the game will be saved (with extension .wd1772). Later if such file is present, data will be loaded from it instead of using the original data for the corresponding sector/track of the STX file. This allows to support writes to STX files without altering the original STX file.
You can try this game under Hatari to check if it works correctly this way.

Nicolas
Thank you. Igor's Ultima III pasti STX disk works fine in Hatari. :D

EDIT: I have replaced the Pasti STX in the Ultima III Brume dump 7Zip in the repository with the one generated by Igor which works.
STF Remake H4/H5 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the ST Action & Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://chillichai.com
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:21 am Therefore an STX or SCP in Steem are unlikely to work as neither can be written back to by the game when the party is created. We are very lucky that Brume's dump was done before using the game.

I get the same message using Igor's patched STX as well in Steem. Steem would need to be able write to the disk for the game to work.
You can write to an STX image on Steem, at least temporary. It failed in your case because you probably had the disk image set as read only and then Pasti consider the disk as write protected.

Note that Pasti allows writes to be the performed only internally. Write are not saved to the actual disk image, and are lost once you eject the disk. So as I was saying, the usage is limited. But certainly you can use this method for testing purposes.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

ijor wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:56 am You can write to an STX image on Steem, at least temporary. It failed in your case because you probably had the disk image set as read only and then Pasti consider the disk as write protected.

Note that Pasti allows writes to be the performed only internally. Write are not saved to the actual disk image, and are lost once you eject the disk. So as I was saying, the usage is limited. But certainly you can use this method for testing purposes.
Tried it one more time in Steem v4.1.1 R7 with pasti 0.3a2 but it is still acting as though the disk is write protected but it is not, so something is wrong.

Went back to Steem v3.9.4 with pasti 0.3a2 and the Ultima III pasti disk image works, so something is broken in Steem v4.1.1 R7
STF Remake H4/H5 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the ST Action & Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://chillichai.com
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:21 am Okay, I have written back Brume's Ultima III SCP dump to a real floppy disk and booted this in a real computer.

With the floppy disk write protected, the game gives the following message when I click "Journey onward":

ULTIMA3-Brume-Patched_00001.jpg

When I remove the write protect and the disk can be written to, the game works fine. It looks like the party you create and characters are written to the floppy disk.

Therefore an STX or SCP in Steem are unlikely to work as neither can be written back to by the game when the party is created. We are very lucky that Brume's dump was done before using the game.

I get the same message using Igor's patched STX as well in Steem. Steem would need to be able write to the disk for the game to work.
Yes Ultima III is a self modifier game. Hats off to Brume for dumping his original, that's great :)

can you try to write the IPF on disk, and test and tell me if it works ?
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

dlfrsilver wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:29 pm Yes Ultima III is a self modifier game. Hats off to Brume for dumping his original, that's great :)

IPF written to floppy disk and game works fine. :D
Zippy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Zippy »

Yes, as above, Ultima III has to write to the disk or it doesn't work, also there is password protection later in the game.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 pm
dlfrsilver wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:29 pm Yes Ultima III is a self modifier game. Hats off to Brume for dumping his original, that's great :)

IPF written to floppy disk and game works fine. :D
Excellent !
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

This Dizzy's Excellent Adventures [KF-SCP] (KDK) compilation contains :
  • Kwik Snax
  • Spellbound Dizzy
  • Dizzy - Prince of the Yolk Folk
  • Panic Dizzy
  • Bubble Dizzy
Dump seems to not be on Atarimania so adding to the repository here. :D
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:45 pm This Dizzy's Excellent Adventures [KF-SCP] (KDK) compilation contains :
  • Kwik Snax
  • Spellbound Dizzy
  • Dizzy - Prince of the Yolk Folk
  • Panic Dizzy
  • Bubble Dizzy
Dump seems to not be on Atarimania so adding to the repository here. :D
Problem : Both Copylock ST track 0.0 have been tampered on the Bootsector (first sector is modified) :/

I can't make any IPF of them :(
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

dlfrsilver wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:31 am
kodak80 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:45 pm This Dizzy's Excellent Adventures [KF-SCP] (KDK) compilation contains :
Problem : Both Copylock ST track 0.0 have been tampered on the Bootsector (first sector is modified) :/
Seems like they were written by an antivirus. Those that create a bootable, but dummy, boot sector, so that (hopefully) a virus will not overwrite it.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

I have removed the dump until confirmed as infected or not. :(
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:03 am I have removed the dump until confirmed as infected or not. :(
May be I didn't expressed myself correctly. It is not infected. The boot sector was overwritten with a dummy bootable one (not all boot sectors are actually bootable) but it doesn't do anything at all. So I am speculating that either a virus killer removed a virus or just it wrote this dummy boot sector preventively. Seems to be a harmless modification anyway.

In any case, please don't remove a dump that is unique "just" because it has a virus. You can put a warning in the filename or put the file in a special folder, or whatever. But a "bad" dump is better than not dump at all. But again, there is no virus in this case.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Sorry, mis-read antivirus. Dump has been re-added.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Dumps from my Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar (US version) [KF-SCP] (KDK) has been added to the repository. The box looks like US version (as shown on Atarimania) but was licensed for distribution in Australia by Dataflow Computer Services Pty Ltd in NSW and has a sticker on the back of the box covering up the US distributer information.

ultima_iv_-_quest_of_the_avatar_origin_systems.gif

Disk 2 (Player Disk) needs to be writable for game to work. Disk 2 has no disk protection mechanisms and so can be duplicated. I am unsure if my Disk 2 dump is modified or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

Army Moves [Imagine] [KF-SCP] (KDK) has also been added to the repository from my game collection. :D

army_moves_imagine.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:51 am Disk 2 (Player Disk) needs to be writable for game to work. Disk 2 has no disk protection mechanisms and so can be duplicated. I am unsure if my Disk 2 dump is modified or not.
It does seem to be modified.
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

kodak80 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:51 am Dumps from my Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar (US version) [KF-SCP] (KDK) has been added to the repository. The box looks like US version (as shown on Atarimania) but was licensed for distribution in Australia by Dataflow Computer Services Pty Ltd in NSW and has a sticker on the back of the box covering up the US distributer information.
The disk probably is the US version. The protection on your image, HLS on track 79, was normally used on US releases and it is different than the protection used by Atarimania's Uk version.
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

kodak80 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:20 am Army Moves [Imagine] [KF-SCP] (KDK) has also been added to the repository from my game collection. :D

army_moves_imagine.png
Army Moves is fine :)
Army Moves (UK) (1987) (Atari ST) (Imagine).7z.txt
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Zippy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:30 pm Yes, as above, Ultima III has to write to the disk or it doesn't work, also there is password protection later in the game.
I'm a little confused by this...

I've played Ultima III on the Atari ST multiple times, complete to the finish.

Never, ever, ever encountered password protection in the game. I've never
had to look through the manual(s) (there are a few different ones) to find
a word to continue the game. There's no "code wheel" or anything like that.

If I tried to make a "copy" of the game (just by normal means) it would cause
the shopkeepers 'n stuff to refuse to interact with you...

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Zippy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Zippy »

DarkLord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:31 pm I'm a little confused by this...

I've played Ultima III on the Atari ST multiple times, complete to the finish.

Never, ever, ever encountered password protection in the game.
Yes, you're quite right, apologies. Seems my memory has failed me again. :) I was remembering the protection text popping up in the box when you entered a shop and got to thinking that was the actual protection check itself rather than just the notification that the disk protection check had already failed.
hellraiseruk
Atarian
Atarian

Post by hellraiseruk »

Just noticed in the resource there are the Discovery Xtra disks 1-3 and 5 - I have disk 4, is there any interest in my uploading this? I've tried to get upload access to the Mega site, but I can't PM at the moment as I've only just joined :(

Cheers

Hellraiser.........>
Mikerochip
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Mikerochip »

Definitely! Even if you have stuff already uploaded, it might be a different version, or the versions already uploaded may have problems, or been modified! Always good to upload more than one image, to check against!

There's a link to the dropbox, you can upload to, also.
kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by kodak80 »

hellraiseruk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:19 am Just noticed in the resource there are the Discovery Xtra disks 1-3 and 5 - I have disk 4, is there any interest in my uploading this? I've tried to get upload access to the Mega site, but I can't PM at the moment as I've only just joined :(

Cheers

Hellraiser.........>
Until DrCoolZic gives you access, I can upload the dump for you if you drop it here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/DTUu6HMB7ojWWK4xjhjS
hellraiseruk
Atarian
Atarian

Post by hellraiseruk »

Cool, I'll try and get 5 minutes over the weekend to rip it :)

Cheers

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”