CosmosEX 3.0

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: CosmosEX 3.0

Post by kodak80 »

gwpt wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:01 am I was just looking at this video about mounting the cosmosex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjCRRT ... logThinker

and it mentions the 'provided ASCI adapter cable'.
I didn't seem to get one... is it just me?
Not just you. No adapter or cables were in my pack for ASCI, also no SCSI cable. There was a statement on their site http://atari.sk/cosmosex-3-0/page saying that they ran out and would not be shipped. As noted in the post on 30.7.2020:

"Last 20pcs so on waiting list are 19 people, then they dont pay until 10.8.2020 they will be cut out from list . Now we have lack of DMA cable so the last units will miss this cable …"

Good job I have an Exxos STF remake board built with an IDC20 connector and so can use a 20 pin ribbon cable to connect my CE3.0 up to that board for testing.
STF Remake H4/H5 | Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Greaseweazel, Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
ube
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ube »

1: Asci only
2: asci plus scsi
3: asci scsi and oled.

I think..
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

ok
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Not a CE3 specific but a general CE question: Has anybody tried to upgrade it's Debian Stretch release to Buster? Will CE and it's software still work afterwards?
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
ube

Post by ube »

Shouldn’t be any problem. Just make a backup of /ce just in case.
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Naturally :) I'm just setting up a "new" elderly CE2 device with Stretch and thought about the possibility upgrading to Buster without lossing CE connectivity, but found nothing spectacular about this subject except some Cosmo Sex hints :)
Will try upgrading these days and report about success (or failure).
ube

Post by ube »

I did a clean setup some years ago when using a pi zero and a microcosmos. I don’t think there we’re any problems at all. Just clone the repo and run the installer. Look at my post history, I think I’ve posted something about this here.
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Did the upgrade to Buster which went flawlessy, but had to recompile ce_main_app because of
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by cosmosex)
which prevents the start of cosmosex' main app (and therefore no website and others)

Did the recompile by

Code: Select all

cd /to/safe/space
git clone https://github.com/atarijookie/ce-atari.git
cd ce-atari
make ce_main_app
cp ce_main_app/cosmosex_raspbian_stretch /ce/app/cosmosex
systemctl reboot
The CE2/RPi3 came up with a working and accessable cosmosex website then. Looks good. Will do some real life tests with a STE today and report.
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Did some basic tests with one of my Falcons as the CE was set to SCSI (and I was too lazy to jumper it to ACSI). I could address a SD card with HDDriver and use it with GEM afterwards. I hot-swapped the SD to my Linux machine, copied some apps to it and hot-reinserted it to the CE again, but no problem at all.
Nice. That was an easy task. Thanks for listening and any hint I got!

BTW: Would it be useful to somebody to have a ready-to-use Buster image for the CE at hand? I'd then redo these steps with @Jookie's Stretch image and upload it somewhere...
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

What's the benefit of upgrading?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

a) Trying if it's possible at all (for the time when it's time to upgrade)
b) Debian Stretch is EOL and may get some security flaws in the future; that could play a role when connecting the CE to a LAN
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

Alright, if you don't mind creating a Buster image I sure wouldn't mind using it! ;-)

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
RealLarry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Rightyright! Just finished the CosmosEx Debian Buster image. Anybody interested in can grab it here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Gc-dPTDFDG

I've successfully tested the image with a CE2/RPi1 and a CE2/RPi3, also with different solo RPi3 devices.
    It's a 3GB image now; I've managed to fit onto a 2GB SD card, but this brought 7.6MB of free space left, which could be a bit too little to save some ST images and maybe growing log files - hence my decision to use a 3GB image size (3GB because this will fit to any >=4GB SD cards and one can still grow/extend the data partition online to it's maximum).

Things I have changed, activated or added:
    • /boot/config.txt
      (diabled splash screen for faster bootup)
    • /etc/bash.bashrc
      (enabled bash completion in interactive shells)
    • /etc/dhcpcd.conf
      (enabled NTP servers from DHCP)
    • /etc/profile.d/environment.sh
      (set PATH to /ce and nano as default editor)
    • recompiled the cosmosex main app from sources/github
      (gzipped sources in /root)
    • removed the installed chocolate-doom and it's sources

Important Notes:
    • Please remember to set your country/region if using WiFi! You can do this by either editing /etc/default/crda and/or configuring wpa_supplicant by manual setup or the raspi-config tool.
    • Before trying and using this image use a fresh/new SD card or DO A DAMN F**KING BACKUP OR YOUR EXISTING ONE! No backup, no mercy if anything goes wrong!
    Feedback is welcomed. Have fun!
    leech
    Atari God
    Atari God

Post by leech »

Debian Bullseye should be released as well in the coming months.
    Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
    Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
    RealLarry
    Captain Atari
    Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Yes, and I'll have an eye on that. Should be more or less unproblematic like the upgrade from Stretch to Buster, even on the Rpi3 and another recompiling of the cosmosex binary.
    Sowden
    Atari maniac
    Atari maniac

Post by Sowden »

Thanks RealLarry for posting this custom image. I can report that on my CE1/RPi1 that everything works except for the floppy emulation. It's broken just as much as it's broken on my Stretch images. When I double click an image off of a USB thumb stick (and every other way to mount a floppy) instead of slowly mounting the floppy with the full "*******" displayed, it will say it's mounted immediently. Which means that it's only partially mounted. As I will boot into A: it will come up. But when I run a program, at some point it will give me a floppy read error and tell me to retry. Also, has switching the joystick from joy1 to joy0 worked for anyone? It's never worked for me. But other than that, the image is great. Thanks a lot man
    RealLarry
    Captain Atari
    Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

Sowden wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:27 pm Thanks RealLarry for posting this custom image. I can report that on my CE1/RPi1 that everything works except for the floppy emulation. It's broken just as much as it's broken on my Stretch images. When I double click an image off of a USB thumb stick (and every other way to mount a floppy) instead of slowly mounting the floppy with the full "*******" displayed, it will say it's mounted immediently. Which means that it's only partially mounted. As I will boot into A: it will come up. But when I run a program, at some point it will give me a floppy read error and tell me to retry. Also, has switching the joystick from joy1 to joy0 worked for anyone? It's never worked for me. But other than that, the image is great. Thanks a lot man
    Thanks for reporting this. This is one of these things I haven't tested due to the lack of an external floppy cable. But I'm going to build some of them - pcb's and parts are already ordered. Give me some time to have an eye on this issue.
    Maybe we're in luck and this isn't an issue in CosmosEx' code but something like a dependency problem or other "easy to fix by a Linux guy" :)

EDIT: see also
    https://github.com/atarijookie/ce-atari/issues/203
    https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p396512
    wietze
    Captain Atari
    Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

It could also be that the firmware on the chip needs to be reset, and because of that error; any kind of flash/upgrade of the chip in its current state fails. I had this, and you need to revert it to some initial setting first.
    Sowden
    Atari maniac
    Atari maniac

Post by Sowden »

Thanks for staying on this RealLarry. I'll be interested in your testing results.
    wietze wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am It could also be that the firmware on the chip needs to be reset, and because of that error; any kind of flash/upgrade of the chip in its current state fails. I had this, and you need to revert it to some initial setting first.
    Hey wietze, are you talking about doing something within the Pi? I don't know anything about programing the pi other than burning an image on an SD card. Mind if I ask you more questions on this?
    wietze
    Captain Atari
    Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Sowden wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:13 pm Thanks for staying on this RealLarry. I'll be interested in your testing results.
    wietze wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am It could also be that the firmware on the chip needs to be reset, and because of that error; any kind of flash/upgrade of the chip in its current state fails. I had this, and you need to revert it to some initial setting first.
    Hey wietze, are you talking about doing something within the Pi? I don't know anything about programing the pi other than burning an image on an SD card. Mind if I ask you more questions on this?
    Erm, no. The CosmosEx addon-board has 2 chips iirc, that are flashable. This is basically done when you run the auto-update from the Cosmosex or CE_DRIVER (or from commandline). However, I recall that one of the two chips (Franz iirc) can be in a state, where the normal upgrade no longer is functional; e.g. the scripted updating/reflashing of the chip no longer functions correctly. In such case, you nee to manually erase the flashchip, by running some commands from the Pi-commandline.

When you reinstall the OS on the RPI, it does not change anything int he CosmosEx firmware state. If you catch my drift.

Are you still having issues?
    RealLarry
    Captain Atari
    Captain Atari

Post by RealLarry »

RealLarry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 amThis is one of these things I haven't tested due to the lack of an external floppy cable. But I'm going to build some of them - pcb's and parts are already ordered. Give me some time to have an eye on this issue.
    Maybe we're in luck and this isn't an issue in CosmosEx' code but something like a dependency problem or other "easy to fix by a Linux guy" :)
    PCB's arrived some days ago, but my cat is occupying my lab and I'm for my self having problems with both of my eyes...no way to solder dozens of small pins. Be patient with an old man :coffe:
    DOB
    Atari User
    Atari User

Post by DOB »

wietze wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 am
    Sowden wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:13 pm Thanks for staying on this RealLarry. I'll be interested in your testing results.
    Erm, no. The CosmosEx addon-board has 2 chips iirc, that are flashable. This is basically done when you run the auto-update from the Cosmosex or CE_DRIVER (or from commandline). However, I recall that one of the two chips (Franz iirc) can be in a state, where the normal upgrade no longer is functional; e.g. the scripted updating/reflashing of the chip no longer functions correctly. In such case, you nee to manually erase the flashchip, by running some commands from the Pi-commandline.

When you reinstall the OS on the RPI, it does not change anything int he CosmosEx firmware state. If you catch my drift.

Are you still having issues?

Do you happen to know where I could find the commands to erase the flash chip? I did an upgrade a few days ago and if failed which bricked the CosmosEx.

thanks.
    Cheers,
    d0b

Falcon CT060, TT/CosmosEX, BeePi, 130xe/FujiNet
    alouest
    Atarian
    Atarian

Post by alouest »

Hello, I sell a new CosmosEX 3.0 from atari.sk here
    https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40470

Return to “CosmosEx”