All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

terence
Atari freak
Atari freak

FirST Love by Overlanders

Post by terence »

hello there,

seriously, not yet a thread about the return of one of the best group of demo makers ?
with a very impressive demo , going further than what has already been done on ST.

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=89673
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FirST Love by Overlanders

Post by Mug UK »

Unfortunately, due to social media, this forum is usually not the first post news like this.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
sp3ct3r
Atarian
Atarian

Post by sp3ct3r »

I was so happy to run this demo on my STE. It ran perfectly. To do it, I found an 28 year old floppy a friend gave me that had the syntax terror demo on it and overwrote that with FirST Love. You can guess that I don't have a floppy emulator. Anyway, I wanted to say that it is quite an emotional experience to see this crew make a comeback. I think of Froggies and the effect it has had on me, and my sadness at the time of its release because I felt the demoscene on the ST was fading away. Its really amazing that old dads can return to DevPac after so many years and knock out some code of beauty. Also, the music. The tune Jess composed for the demo is intricate, synchronized perfectly, and is quite varied, and even includes some cpu heavy effects.
Additionally, there don't seem to be any overscan effects in the demo, yet, it totally rocks. Shows that design and execution still matter.
All praise to overlanders for pulling this off so well.
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Just finished watching it -- freakin' awesome STuff! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
metalages
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by metalages »

well done :) congrats
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

This demo made me order 4MB of RAM, don't want to watch it again on YouTube :)
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

Amazingly well done! great demo!!!
terence
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by terence »

YQN wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:32 pm This demo made me order 4MB of RAM, don't want to watch it again on YouTube :)
hope you own an STE :)
AnachronyX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by AnachronyX »

That part with a "game" like Uridium is awesome... One of the best graphics on Atari IMHO.
prog99
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by prog99 »

terence wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:47 pm
YQN wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:32 pm This demo made me order 4MB of RAM, don't want to watch it again on YouTube :)
Doesn't need one!
All my real skills are undervalued
junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by junosix »

Wow - phenomenal... the bit with texture mapped objects looks insane!
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

prog99 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Doesn't need one!
I'm gonna use it for the STe anyway :)
terence
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by terence »

prog99 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Doesn't need one!
no, but 4 MB on a STF is a mess. a nice video about that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZ0U2estFA
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Great demo! And Lot's of small details one notices only when looking closer at things. :-)

In Janek's scroll text there was a mention of some things being different between Hatari and real machine (e.g. overscan from floppy being black). Was something missing from Hatari, or was it just bad config (e.g. non-exact floppy emulation)?
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Post by npomarede »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 pm Great demo! And Lot's of small details one notices only when looking closer at things. :-)

In Janek's scroll text there was a mention of some things being different between Hatari and real machine (e.g. overscan from floppy being black). Was something missing from Hatari, or was it just bad config (e.g. non-exact floppy emulation)?
Hi
Overscan with DMA floppy transfers at the same time is not possible on real ST, because the DMA will take some cycle shared with the CPU, thus overscan timings will be altered. Under Hatari we don't emulate these DMA cycles over CPU, so overscan remains stable, which is not correct (this would need to be measured on a real ST to see at which point cycles are taken and at which rate, knowing that floppy DMA transfers 16 bytes at a time)
Nicolas
evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by evil »

sp3ct3r wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:14 am Additionally, there don't seem to be any overscan effects in the demo, yet, it totally rocks. Shows that design and execution still matter.
Well there is plenty of sync scrolling going on, which essentially is overscan in all forms possible :-)
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Eero Tamminen wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 pm Great demo! And Lot's of small details one notices only when looking closer at things. :-)

Iirc, the stabilizer switch to hires, results in black pixel output on the real machine, but doesnt show at all on hatari.
uko
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by uko »

evil wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:16 pm
sp3ct3r wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:14 am Additionally, there don't seem to be any overscan effects in the demo, yet, it totally rocks. Shows that design and execution still matter.
Well there is plenty of sync scrolling going on, which essentially is overscan in all forms possible :-)
:lol: So true !
Moreover sync scrolling is overscan that you want to hide !
David aka Uko, from T.AL
Take a look at our last STe demo ! The Star Wars Demo and to its "making of"
https://github.com/Uko-TAL
terence
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by terence »

not exactly
in fullscreen you have to be always synchronized, and you can not use divs muls, except using a timer fullscreen which consumes a lot of cpu time.
fullscreen involves a lot more time consumed in coding. even using a fullscreen generator that inserts your code directly in fullscreen lines as we did around '91
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Hi Nicolas,
npomarede wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:26 am Under Hatari we don't emulate these DMA cycles over CPU, so overscan remains stable, which is not correct (this would need to be measured on a real ST to see at which point cycles are taken and at which rate, knowing that floppy DMA transfers 16 bytes at a time)
Oh! I wasn't aware Hatari don't emulate the DMA cycles. It is important, IMHO. Some protection could conceivable break because of this.

Note that it is not very important to emulate exactly when each DMA cycle is performed. As a matter of fact this is usually variable because it depends on the floppy timing. What is probably more important, and it should be rather simple to implement I guess, is to just steal those cycles from the CPU.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Post by npomarede »

ijor wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:33 pm Oh! I wasn't aware Hatari don't emulate the DMA cycles. It is important, IMHO. Some protection could conceivable break because of this.

Note that it is not very important to emulate exactly when each DMA cycle is performed. As a matter of fact this is usually variable because it depends on the floppy timing. What is probably more important, and it should be rather simple to implement I guess, is to just steal those cycles from the CPU.
Hi
not wanting to hijack Overlanders' demo topic :) , I created a new thread here https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=40994 to discuss this further.
Nicolas
Synt4x_3rr0r
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by Synt4x_3rr0r »

I just put 4MB RAM in my 1040 STFM mostly for this demo, and while it was a lot of work I think it was worth it for this. Really mind-blowing to finally see this run on my machine. The design, the effects, the music, and the flow of it all, it's really quite unbelievable. Also really enjoyed reading the end part stories. Put a smile on my face. :)

Return to “Demos - General”