NetUSBee USB drivers package v5

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: NetUSBee USB drivers package v5

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:25 am

Update on the problem I found:

Perdrix24 wrote:Today I found two things:

1. On TOS 1, pressing the third button of the mouse crash the computer. This is possibly because it tries to emulate the ENTER keystroke, and that any keyboard keys work only with TOS 2 and above, just like the keyboard driver. I'll look into this later.

This was caused by BigDos. It also caused a crash using the tablet, when pressing the stylus button that emulates an UNDO keystroke. When BigDos is not used, the mouse third button and stylus button work fine.

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:28 am

Attached is a revised USBTOOL.ACC. It now displays fine in medium and low resolution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ama
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ama » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:59 pm

I like working with the graphic tablet. Is there a way to adapt the tablet driver also to the Lightning USB?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:15 pm

ama wrote:I like working with the graphic tablet. Is there a way to adapt the tablet driver also to the Lightning USB?

I'd expect it to work right out of the box with the Lightning VME/ST. Doesn't it?

ama
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ama » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Unfortunately not. In the usbtool.acc it is grayed out.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

What does the tablet driver output when you load it (on the computer with the Lightning VME/ST, obviously)?

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Sorry if I am bothersome, I seem to be getting ignored here, but I have an update and I will post it anyway. Maybe someone will contribute.

I have not been able to get any usb stick to read using an STF STFM MEGAST or STE until last night. Last night on a STE I was able to get a Sandisk CRUISER 1gb usb seen.
I have UltraSatan. Boots nothing in AUTO - USBTOOL.acc in root. Driver is PP hdriver. 13u. It seems that his driver does not support this buss correct?

So once booted I manually ran USB then Storage then netusb - usually I get on any 1.04 tos machine a failed to set cookie error. This time it went through.. a few times in and out with the usb the tool saw it. Loaded HDDriver Utility I have 10.17

It sees the USB on buss3. Did not like my partitions that I made on the PC. they were Fat16.. but whatever. I have gotten this far before on the STE.. but now I was able to right click on the device. partition it again.. 3 x 334 meg. Reboot.. all was seen install devices and bang for first time it was able to access the new 3 drives.

I have several nice little 128mb thumb drives I cant use for anything else.. but it seems to have a hard time with these.

I wanted this because I thought it was usable on all machines. Am I wrong?

James

ama
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ama » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:49 pm

czietz wrote:What does the tablet driver output when you load it (on the computer with the Lightning VME/ST, obviously)?

On my TT with graphics card and Lightning VME, I unfortunately see, with a Monitor on the TT-VGA port, no displays from the boot process.

But on the ST with a Lightning ST comes the message "API Mismatch"

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Ah, I see. Blame it on recent FreeMiNT development, who (rather needlessly, imho) changed their USB API to be incompatible with what was before. The latest released Lightning ST/VME drivers (r226) still use the old API. It's easily fixable; it's just a matter of compiling the tablet driver against the old API. (This is just a temporary issue, anyway, because the Lightning VME/ST drivers will have to make the switch to the new API with the next release, too.)

EDIT: PM me (either here or via Atari-home.de) for more details. I don't want to clutter this thread with Lightning ST/VME related support stuff.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 am

Bikerbob wrote:So once booted I manually ran USB then Storage then netusb - usually I get on any 1.04 tos machine a failed to set cookie error. This time it went through.. a few times in and out with the usb the tool saw it. Loaded HDDriver Utility I have 10.17

If you have again the cookie error, this is from the README.TXT:
"The driver installs a cookie, so if it fails to load with an error related to a cookie, you may need a (larger) cookie jar such as JARnnn.PRG."

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 am

czietz wrote:Ah, I see. Blame it on recent FreeMiNT development, who (rather needlessly, imho) changed their USB API to be incompatible with what was before.

You're right, when I commited the change I thought that the usb_device struct will change its size, now looking at it thoroughly I see it doesn't, sorry for that. In any case I always have thought that it was an unfortunate decision not to add the Lightning drivers into FreeMiNT's repository, we could have avoid this kind of problems, and everybody would have also benefited of bugs fixing or new added features to the drivers, we're a small community and it would have been nice to centralize efforts.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Bikerbob wrote:Sorry if I am bothersome, I seem to be getting ignored here, but I have an update and I will post it anyway. Maybe someone will contribute.

I have not been able to get any usb stick to read using an STF STFM MEGAST or STE until last night. Last night on a STE I was able to get a Sandisk CRUISER 1gb usb seen.
I have UltraSatan. Boots nothing in AUTO - USBTOOL.acc in root. Driver is PP hdriver. 13u. It seems that his driver does not support this buss correct?

So once booted I manually ran USB then Storage then netusb - usually I get on any 1.04 tos machine a failed to set cookie error. This time it went through.. a few times in and out with the usb the tool saw it. Loaded HDDriver Utility I have 10.17

It sees the USB on buss3. Did not like my partitions that I made on the PC. they were Fat16.. but whatever. I have gotten this far before on the STE.. but now I was able to right click on the device. partition it again.. 3 x 334 meg. Reboot.. all was seen install devices and bang for first time it was able to access the new 3 drives.

I have several nice little 128mb thumb drives I cant use for anything else.. but it seems to have a hard time with these.

I wanted this because I thought it was usable on all machines. Am I wrong?

James

I have Netusbee and have had it working on a TT / Falcon / ST without any issues. The only difficulties I had were how picky Netusbee is with different usb flash brands. Out of 7 different flash drives I could only find 2-3 that worked, I have them formatted as fat16 under linux. I have heard reports from one other TT user where the Netusbee doesn't work, something to do with his particular motherboard revision - but then again perhaps his cart port was faulty or needed resoldering. Obviously remember the 512mb limit for TOS or 1gb for Falcon tos.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Galvez wrote:
Bikerbob wrote:So once booted I manually ran USB then Storage then netusb - usually I get on any 1.04 tos machine a failed to set cookie error. This time it went through.. a few times in and out with the usb the tool saw it. Loaded HDDriver Utility I have 10.17

"The driver installs a cookie, so if it fails to load with an error related to a cookie, you may need a (larger) cookie jar such as JARnnn.PRG."

But Galvez, as far as I am aware, and please correct me.. I would love to be wrong on this.. 1.04 does not use the cookie jar at all does it?

When I go into system info etc.. in a 1.2 or 1.04 machine.. it says no cookie jar present.

IF thats the case - how do you load the drivers period?

James

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Found this here.. SO.. if this is the case.. why are people saying that they got this running on a Mega? or an ST? max is 1.04????

https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/b ... iejar.html

3.7 Cookie jar
The cookie jar was introduced with TOS 1.06 and represents a generalisation of the system variables. One is dealing here with a table of individual cookies that are defined as follows:

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Bikerbob wrote:
Galvez wrote:

But Galvez, as far as I am aware, and please correct me.. I would love to be wrong on this.. 1.04 does not use the cookie jar at all does it?

When I go into system info etc.. in a 1.2 or 1.04 machine.. it says no cookie jar present.

IF thats the case - how do you load the drivers period?

I guess that application (JARnnn.PRG) creates the cookie jar if not present, but I don't have a ST and I haven't tested the NetUSBee in one, only with a Falcon. Other ST users should give an answer to your question.

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:31 pm

So I found the Github https://github.com/anodynesoftware/netusbee

Found Roger Burrows. I dont find him on the forums etc. I have sent email? Fingers crossed.

James

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:33 am

Bikerbob wrote:So I found the Github https://github.com/anodynesoftware/netusbee

Found Roger Burrows. I dont find him on the forums etc. I have sent email? Fingers crossed.

The sources from where the drivers in the package v5 are built are hosted in FreeMiNT's repository [1]. Roger's driver was merged into FreeMiNT's sources.

[1] https://github.com/freemint/freemint/tr ... er/sys/usb

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 am

Reading the Compendium, it seems that the cookie jar was always present, in all TOS versions. I run currently a 520STFM with TOS 1.04 and no JARnnn.PRG. I do need POOLFIX4.PRG before USB.PRG, or the latter crash (2 bombs).

On my MegaST I used to run JARnnn.PRG, but that was to increase the jar size, since I loaded many programs that installed cookies and ran out.

Four out of four USB keys I tried work. I have an old 64MB, a Lexar 8GB and a recent Kingston 16GB, and another 8GB key, all work.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 am

Perdrix24 wrote:Four out of four USB keys I tried work. I have an old 64MB, a Lexar 8GB and a recent Kingston 16GB, and another 8GB key, all work.

For me too, I haven't found yet one that didn't work. I've tested 5 different USB sticks and 3 different card readers.

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:38 am

I will try with the poolfix4.prg and see if that fixes the 1.04 .. Might be something to put in a readme. jarxxx.prg in its readme states that the cookie jar was only introduced in 1.06. System variables existed but the jar as a central "location" to store was in 1.6

But this seems to be all he said she said.. nothing in any of this stuff seems to be definitive fact.. especially if I can get it to work with poolfix.prg

OH.. and I have tried 9 different USB keys on 6 different machines. I can get 1 to work everytime.. sandisk microcruiser.. THATS IT.

James

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”