SD card utility on Win 7

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

diggie
Retro freak
Retro freak

SD card utility on Win 7

Postby diggie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:41 pm

On a Windows 7 box I tried to use the SD card utility to prepare a Sandisk Ultra 32GB SDSQUAR-032G-GN6MA card.

Both Windows 7 and the sdcard.org tools would format it to it's 32GB capacity. The MiSTer tool detects it as 0.1GB and after formatting there is a partition with about 5MB of space, filled so that more files cannot be added, and most of the drive is empty/not in any partition.

I had to format on a Windows 10 box to finally make it work properly.

Admittedly, due to a busy work schedule I haven't had time to look into causes yet, but thought I'd report it before I forgot.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: SD card utility on Win 7

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Utility is for exactly Windows 10 64bit.
It's not supposed to be working on Win7 due to big difference in low-level API to access raw disks.
Even in Windows 10 this API got several updates from M$ and required update the utility to make it work again.

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Utility is for exactly Windows 10 64bit.
It's not supposed to be working on Win7 due to big difference in low-level API to access raw disks.
Even in Windows 10 this API got several updates from M$ and required update the utility to make it work again.

From the READEME (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer) :

"You need 64bit Windows 7/8/10."

I got it to work under Windows 7 but it took a number of attempts.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm

cacophony wrote:"You need 64bit Windows 7/8/10."

it's wrong.

diggie
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby diggie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info. Can confirm that it was due to the readme that I had believed it would work.

evdberg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby evdberg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:45 am

Following the setup guide in the MiSTer Wiki, I just ran the install utility on Windows 7 and it created a NTFS partition which obviously not works on the DE10-Nano board. The readme of the tool itself indicates indeed you need Windows 10 64 bits.

As I do not have a Windows 10 machine, are there other ways to install MiSTer? I have also Mac OS-X and Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Another way is to ask somebody to do the installation procedure for you on his/her machine, then dump the SD card into an image and uploads it to a place where you can download it. You will download it, unpack it and then use either WinDiskImager or Etcher (both win tools) or use plain 'dd' command on Linux to write the image to your SD card. If you are happy to do that let me know and I can prepare the image dump.

Edit: I made the SD card dump of the MiSTer DE10-nano for anybody that struggles with the SD card utility. Download here:
https://app.box.com/s/h744bhcif04dzkatupa1co20q7dzqp38

Then unpack with 7zip (on Win) or via "unxz <file>" (on Lin). Then use Etcher from etcher.io to write to an SD card. The SD card size must be at least 4GBytes. Note: the image was dumped "as-is" after being prepared by SD Card utility, no extra cores or roms were installed.

evdberg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby evdberg » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:11 am

olin wrote:Another way is to ask somebody to do the installation procedure for you on his/her machine, then dump the SD card into an image and uploads it to a place where you can download it.

I also thought of that later on. Thanks for your image upload though!

warham
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby warham » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 am

Might be helpful for anyone that ran the SD utility in windows 7:

I had to use windows Diskpart clean command to get the card to pass successfully when I tried to run it again under windows 10.

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 pm

olin wrote:Another way is to ask somebody to do the installation procedure for you on his/her machine, then dump the SD card into an image and uploads it to a place where you can download it. You will download it, unpack it and then use either WinDiskImager or Etcher (both win tools) or use plain 'dd' command on Linux to write the image to your SD card. If you are happy to do that let me know and I can prepare the image dump.

Edit: I made the SD card dump of the MiSTer DE10-nano for anybody that struggles with the SD card utility. Download here:
https://app.box.com/s/h744bhcif04dzkatupa1co20q7dzqp38

Then unpack with 7zip (on Win) or via "unxz <file>" (on Lin). Then use Etcher from etcher.io to write to an SD card. The SD card size must be at least 4GBytes. Note: the image was dumped "as-is" after being prepared by SD Card utility, no extra cores or roms were installed.

Just tried using the provided disk image but after my 64GB card was burned it only shows 4GB of total space. Not sure how it should be expanded to the full size now...

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:57 pm

cacophony wrote:Just tried using the provided disk image but after my 64GB card was burned it only shows 4GB of total space. Not sure how it should be expanded to the full size now...

what you expect from image? It always will report the same size after copying to disk.
That's why there is a special SD card installing tool which detects the card size and creates according partition sizes.

You can try some disk tools supporting expansion/shrinking of partitions.

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
cacophony wrote:Just tried using the provided disk image but after my 64GB card was burned it only shows 4GB of total space. Not sure how it should be expanded to the full size now...

what you expect from image? It always will report the same size after copying to disk.
That's why there is a special SD card installing tool which detects the card size and creates according partition sizes.

You can try some disk tools supporting expansion/shrinking of partitions.

Sure I wasn't expecting the image to show bigger than 4GB after the initial burn, but I was surprised that Win 7 doesn't natively provide a way to expand the partition, at least in this particular case.

But I did discover that if I first format the SD card in Win 7, the MiSTer SD utility did seem successfully complete the "Full install"

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:27 pm

cacophony wrote:But I did discover that if I first format the SD card in Win 7, the MiSTer SD utility did seem successfully complete the "Full install"

This is good.
SD card may be formatted in 2 types: super floppy (non-MBR) and HDD (with MBR). In Windows you cannot tell which type SD card currently has (unless you use some low level disk inspector like WinHEX).
Probably SD utility doesn't like (actually it's Windows messes the access) one of the type.

jpeich
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jpeich » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:32 pm

My 2 cents. I am only working on windows 7 and I successfully formatted and used the sd as the procedure in the wiki says. The only downside is each time you reconnect the sd card it says corrupt but if you just accept a quick windows check-repair it will just pass and work without issues.
Unfortunately I have no access to a windows 10 installation at home.

Return to “MiSTer”