https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

Cheats on Genesis Core issue.

Postby insanegunnerman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:30 am

Hello

When I apply any type of cheats on the Genesis core, the games crash and freeze. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you

TempleSidekick
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Genesis Core

Postby TempleSidekick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Is it just with a specific game? I've found that some games work alright, sometimes the cheats do nothing, other times they crash the game. But this also happens with some software emulators, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

apparentlymart
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Cheats on Genesis Core issue.

Postby apparentlymart » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:28 am

insanegunnerman wrote:Hello

When I apply any type of cheats on the Genesis core, the games crash and freeze. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you

Sadly I don't have a link handy but I recall seeing a report of this in the Genesis core GitHub indicating that it happens only when the core is running without the SDRAM board, using the on-board DDR RAM instead. I believe a fix is merged but not yet included in a release.

I'm still awaiting the parts for my SDRAM board so I can confirm the same issue, but I can't confirm for sure that it works with the SDRAM board installed; I expect that's why others cannot reproduce, though.

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanegunnerman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:15 am

I think it boils down to me running a naked board, I am confident when I get the SD Ram it will take care of the issue.

reflex
Atari User
Atari User

Postby reflex » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:10 pm

apparentlymart wrote:

Thank you

Sadly I don't have a link handy but I recall seeing a report of this in the Genesis core GitHub indicating that it happens only when the core is running without the SDRAM board, using the on-board DDR RAM instead. I believe a fix is merged but not yet included in a release.

I'm still awaiting the parts for my SDRAM board so I can confirm the same issue, but I can't confirm for sure that it works with the SDRAM board installed; I expect that's why others cannot reproduce, though.

It's listed as a fix in the latest core updates, will test later.

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanegunnerman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:30 am

reflex wrote:
apparentlymart wrote:

Thank you

I can confirm the cheats are working as intended with this new core.

reflex
Atari User
Atari User

Postby reflex » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 pm

insanegunnerman wrote:
reflex wrote:
apparentlymart wrote:

I can confirm the cheats are working as intended with this new core.

Sorry, I spaced out updating this thread, also worked for me.

digitron
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby digitron » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?

redsteakraw
Atari User
Atari User

Postby redsteakraw » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:59 pm

digitron wrote:Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?

Given the Sega Saturn is a complex multi-core system that would require a tone of work unless people work on it or people fund development I don't foresee it happening. I know there is some PlayStation work and a Jaguar core that is around the corner so there are some 32 bit cores being worked on. That being said it is debatable whether there is even enough space on the FPGA for the PlayStation let alone the Saturn. Furthermore the Saturn has a small following outside of Japan so I would be surprised if there was enough interest to entice devs to the massive project.

digitron
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby digitron » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:48 pm

redsteakraw wrote:
digitron wrote:Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?

Given the Sega Saturn is a complex multi-core system that would require a tone of work unless people work on it or people fund development I don't foresee it happening. I know there is some PlayStation work and a Jaguar core that is around the corner so there are some 32 bit cores being worked on. That being said it is debatable whether there is even enough space on the FPGA for the PlayStation let alone the Saturn. Furthermore the Saturn has a small following outside of Japan so I would be surprised if there was enough interest to entice devs to the massive project.

Thanks for the info!

Grego2d
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Grego2d » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Been doing some investigating into why Sonic 2s music is off tempo with turbo enabled. Turns out Sonic 2 uses the 68000 to produce music, some enterprising hackers took it upon themselves to rewrite the sound driver for the z80:

https://github.com/MainMemory/s2-sound-driver-plus

Running this version of Sonic 2 fixes tempo issues while using turbo and fixes the hang that would occur when entering/exiting bonus stages.

As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.

Grego2d
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Grego2d » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:25 pm

The previous build of Sonic 2 contains some voice samples when dying/round end, I didn't really appreciate them so I restored the original sound effects. Enjoy.

https://github.com/originalgrego/s2-sound-driver-plus

mario64
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mario64 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:44 am

Hi all,

Does the game Pier Solar for Genesis work with the enhanced soundtrack CD on MISTer? I'm guessing not since Genesis and Sega CD are separate cores but thought I would ask.

Thank you,
mario64

PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Postby PikWik » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:24 am

Grego2d wrote:Been doing some investigating into why Sonic 2s music is off tempo with turbo enabled. Turns out Sonic 2 uses the 68000 to produce music, some enterprising hackers took it upon themselves to rewrite the sound driver for the z80:

https://github.com/MainMemory/s2-sound-driver-plus

Running this version of Sonic 2 fixes tempo issues while using turbo and fixes the hang that would occur when entering/exiting bonus stages.

As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.

wow, this is awesome. i was wondering about this as well, and it looks like someone already figured it out!

thanks man

Shaneus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shaneus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:05 am

Grego2d wrote:As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.

I wonder if that's an EA-specific (or general) thing, because all Road Rash titles including Skitchin' are vastly improved with overclocking in MISTer. I'm sure I've seen a list somewhere that shows games improved with overclocking.

Funnily enough, Road Rash on 3DO and PS1 also experience improved framerates when overclocking via emulation.

Return to “MiSTer”