New FTP client available

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

New FTP client available

Postby anodyne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:38 pm

I've released a TOS-only FTP client for STiK/STinG that I wrote a while back. The source is available at:
https://github.com/anodynesoftware/pftp
The binaries are available at:
https://github.com/anodynesoftware/pftp/releases

Its main claim to fame is that it's faster than most other TOS-only FTP clients.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: New FTP client available

Postby czietz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Thank you, Roger! We Lightning VME developers use PFTP to benchmark the speed of the STinG network driver simply because it is the fastest FTP program.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you very much.
I do not think I have connected to the network with an Atari since 1990, I hope that I will be able to do it one day now.

:cheers:
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 pm

anodyne wrote:I've released a TOS-only FTP client for STiK/STinG that I wrote a while back. The source is available at:
https://github.com/anodynesoftware/pftp
The binaries are available at:
https://github.com/anodynesoftware/pftp/releases

Its main claim to fame is that it's faster than most other TOS-only FTP clients.

Thank you!

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

czietz wrote:Thank you, Roger! We Lightning VME developers use PFTP to benchmark the speed of the STinG network driver simply because it is the fastest FTP program.

And I should mention that Christian pointed out a problem with a previous version when connecting to certain servers (which is now fixed) and encouraged me to make this generally available.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

cool :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:11 am

:thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am

Thank you

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 am

Great! Thank you!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:36 am

Thank you.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Nice one, thanks very much!

Fletch
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Fletch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:26 am

Works great. I launched FTP Server on the Falcon tonight, ran pftp on the TT and transferred a bunch of midi files. Smooth as silk.

Thanks!

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 am

Fletch wrote:Works great. I launched FTP Server on the Falcon tonight, ran pftp on the TT and transferred a bunch of midi files. Smooth as silk.

Thanks!

You're very welcome :). Thanks for the feedback!

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 am

Just tried it on Aranym+Mint+GlueStik, without success :( Both programs just hang, i don't even get the starting message. Is that supposed to work? Never used GlueStik so far. Network access otherwise works, using mintnet drivers.

I also noticed that the Run/Malloc from fastram flags are not set for the programs. Is there a reason for that?

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:Just tried it on Aranym+Mint+GlueStik, without success :( Both programs just hang, i don't even get the starting message. Is that supposed to work? Never used GlueStik so far. Network access otherwise works, using mintnet drivers.

I also noticed that the Run/Malloc from fastram flags are not set for the programs. Is there a reason for that?

First, you'll note that it's announced as a TOS-only FTP client :)

Second, there's a bug/shortcoming in GlueSTiK that I recall from Claude Labelle's testing under MagiC when I wrote the program originally. I can't remember the details exactly now, but since the program isn't targetted for MiNT/MagiC, I didn't bother about it. I think it might be that pftp sets the packet buffer to a larger value than GlueSTiK can handle. Part of the reason that pftp is fast is the size of the buffer, so reducing it just for the sake of a buggy program was not on the cards. Surely there must be lots of existing FTP clients for MiNT?

The flag settings is probably an oversight, but since it's a long time since I wrote the original code (about 5 years), I can't guarantee that. Obviously you can change them if you want and see if it causes problems. Since it's not a big user of memory, setting the flags doesn't make a lot of difference if you're running on a plain TOS system.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

anodyne wrote:First, you'll note that it's announced as a TOS-only FTP client :)

Yes, but since i don't have any ethernet related hardware with TOS, the only way for me to test it was using this combo ;)

I think it might be that pftp sets the packet buffer to a larger value than GlueSTiK can handle.

I don't think that this is the issue. As said, i don't even get the welcome message (type "HELP" blablub), which should be printed even before the presence of a driver is checked.

Surely there must be lots of existing FTP clients for MiNT?

Not that much that are ready for use. I only have an old binary here that seems to be from the sparemint distribution. But it doesn't seem to work either, maybe something else is wrong, i should have checked that first... I can use ping, some other tools and netsurf though.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:I don't think that this is the issue. As said, i don't even get the welcome message (type "HELP" blablub), which should be printed even before the presence of a driver is checked.

Could it be that text output (more specifically Bconout, as used by PFTP) is buffered, so that even though the crash happens after the welcome message, you don't get to see it? (Something similar fooled me, once.)

Anyway: As Roger made clear, PFTP was developed with TOS, not MiNT, in mind.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 am

czietz wrote:Anyway: As Roger made clear, PFTP was developed with TOS, not MiNT, in mind.

Yes, thats clear. But it might also be an good opportunity to check whether the gluestik program of mint of mint works as expected.

The missing output seems indeed have to do with buffering, and/or the way toswin2 works. ptcp uses Bconout(), while toswin2 listens on a GEMDOS pipe. Looks like ptcp is blocked before toswin2 had a chance to read the output. Strangely, when i also open a console window, i can see at least the welcome message and the initial prompt.

BTW the program does not crash, it just hangs. But that might be another issue.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:if the gluestik program of mint of mint works as expected...

GlueSTiK was convenient when bitrate was very low and available RAM rare. Now, it has flaws. If i remember correcty, my problems with GlueSTiK were small buffers working like a bottleneck, and/or 16bits integers used for sizes values. Better use MiNTnet directly, GlueSTiK should be used only for its resolver function.

Welcome to this new FTP program, and thanks for this work.

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:01 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
czietz wrote:Anyway: As Roger made clear, PFTP was developed with TOS, not MiNT, in mind.

Yes, thats clear. But it might also be an good opportunity to check whether the gluestik program of mint of mint works as expected.

The missing output seems indeed have to do with buffering, and/or the way toswin2 works. ptcp uses Bconout(), while toswin2 listens on a GEMDOS pipe. Looks like ptcp is blocked before toswin2 had a chance to read the output. Strangely, when i also open a console window, i can see at least the welcome message and the initial prompt.

BTW the program does not crash, it just hangs. But that might be another issue.

IMO it's still a GlueSTiK problem. As I said (and someone else here has the same opinion), GlueSTiK is buggy, so I won't be spending time trying to make pftp work with it. OTOH, if someone finds a problem with pftp & STiK/STinG, please let me know and I'll fix it. PM is probably best, I only visit here occasionally.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
anodyne wrote:First, you'll note that it's announced as a TOS-only FTP client :)

Yes, but since i don't have any ethernet related hardware with TOS, the only way for me to test it was using this combo ;)

I think it might be that pftp sets the packet buffer to a larger value than GlueSTiK can handle.

I don't think that this is the issue. As said, i don't even get the welcome message (type "HELP" blablub), which should be printed even before the presence of a driver is checked.

Surely there must be lots of existing FTP clients for MiNT?

Not that much that are ready for use. I only have an old binary here that seems to be from the sparemint distribution. But it doesn't seem to work either, maybe something else is wrong, i should have checked that first... I can use ping, some other tools and netsurf though.

I use litchi https://www.janatari.de/atari-firebee/a ... tp-client/
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Out of topic, sorry, but I would like to say I would appreciate that, if you set a page about it, this page and its links should be maintained. Official page is http://ptonthat.fr/litchi/ and the direct link to file is http://ptonthat.fr/files/litchi/. Use folder link instead of files links, because the archives may be updated, with different name.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Wasn't entirely off topic, there was the question about FTP client that works with Mint. Thanks for a better link, I just pasted the first I found.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 pm

anodyne wrote:IMO it's still a GlueSTiK problem. As I said (and someone else here has the same opinion), GlueSTiK is buggy

Yes, seems so. Using the Stik-compatible client seems to work a bit better, but still not reliable. After stome search i also stumbled upon this
line gluestik:

https://github.com/freemint/freemint/bl ... tik.c#L199

According to the information i found, using TCP_open that way was a extension introduced by STinG. However, the documentation says it should be a CAB pointer, and your client also uses it that way, whereas Gluestik expects a CIB pointer there, which is not quite the same. As a result, completely bogus dest IPs are used. At least that seems to be a bug in Gluestik.

But that might be a bit OT here.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”