jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Port of a game - Barrage

Postby jury » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Inspired by Eero's post here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32964&start=25#p344303
Barrage was ported.
It definitely needs CT6x and works at around 20 frames per second, so its quite playable. I have only tested it through Super Videl, but I'm pretty sure it will work without it ( just did not want to take it off as its not a 5 seconds job ;) )
But if anyone will report that it doesnt work without SV, than I will take it off and see whats going on.
And TOS is more than recommended, under MiNT it starts and plays, but strange things happen, which I do not understand ( at least yet :) )

Edit:
Regarding mikro's remark, I attach the source code and all the original files ( as a separate archive )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jury on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Port of simple game - Barrage

Postby mikro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 am

Congratulations. :) Two remarks:

1. There's no need to physically remove the SV, SV_XBIOS.PRG -> SV_XBIOS.PRX is more than enough.

2. Don't forget to publish source code with all the build scripts (ideally setup a github repository), you know, GPL and stuff.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Port of a game - Barrage

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks! I tested this in Hatari:

Code: Select all

hatari  --memsize 14 --tos etos512k.img --machine falcon --dsp none --cpuclock 32 --cpu-exact off --fpu 68882 ./barrage.prg

It doesn't seem to matter what CPU is used (030/040/060) and it doesn't require MMU or cycle exact emulation, but FPU is needed.

For emulation speed, it's best to disable cycle-exact (i.e. cache) emulation and especially DSP emulation as those aren't needed.

Game fitting into 14MB was a bit surprising for a port of a Linux desktop game. :-)

It doesn't run at usable speed on emulated Falcon (even with 32Mhz CPU), but running at all is enough to be able to profile it with Hatari debugger/profiler and to trace OS calls.

Social Media

Return to “Games”