How to get Hatari working on High Sierra ? (OSX)

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

felicemaggie
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

How to get Hatari working on High Sierra ? (OSX)

Postby felicemaggie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm having some difficulties in running Hatari once it is compiled from the tar.gz archive.

I'm needing to recompile it after altering the joy.c file to recognize the correct buttons for using a PS3 joypad with Hatari, for game playing, as the standard compiled DMG version doesn't work properly with this.

However, once compiled it starts and then stops from the dock on High Sierra (OSX).

Hope someone can help here.

Cheers,

Felice.
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: How to get Hatari working on High Sierra ? (OSX)

Postby darwinmac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 pm

I would try using the right-click (control-click) and select Open from the contextual menu. You should not get a Gatekeeper eero since you compiled it yourself, but it would not hurt to see if some other message appears.

Bob C

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 pm

What kind of patch you have for PS3 pad? I've never tried one on Linux and I'm wondering whether there's anything similar to OSX...

(Not going to look into before this crazy heat wave ends, it's too hot to do any coding, but after that... :-))

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:37 am

I found something interesting on this link here:-

https://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/to ... re-button/

The link largely is related to the RetroPi MAME/MESS setup, but Hatari appears to be included with it.

Also, once compiled, I managed to get Hatari running from Terminal, but still not from the dock.

Hope this helps :)

Felice.
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm

I can confirm that the link in my comment above * does * fix this problem, so now it is possible to use a PS3 pad for playing joystick games on Hatari.
Just follow the petrockblock link, make the alterations in joy.c, recompile Hatari again and it'll be fine :)

Think my Mac was having some problems or other regarding Hatari not working originally from the Dock, something completely separate from anything to do with Hatari itself.

Cheers,

Felice.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:28 am

That just hard-codes a different value, i.e. it would break things for others. A reasonable patch would detect the controller and set controller specific values.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi
note that according to this commit in SDL sources https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/399cc39583cc , SDL 2.0.9 should have better support for various XBOX, PS4 and Nintendo controller.
Maybe this will also help supporting PS3 controllers in a more unified way.
Nicolas

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”