New TT + FALCON/ST PC-like case.

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

matej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: New TT + FALCON/ST PC-like case.

Postby matej » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

So I am starting taking dimensions now and port holes. It will be classic pc tower (almost big tower)... With fdd, dvd, hdd chasis also maybe will do acrylic prototype...

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Sounds great, I take it the back plate will be modular to suite which type of atari you are fitting inside it?

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Would you have any pictures? Sorry to sound inpatient, looking forward to get my Falcon back working again.

matej

Postby matej » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 am

Atari TT... First I will do acrylic case as prototype.Inspired by this case:
Then I will search 20 people for doing it from steel/alu in professional case company.

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Will this have the option of rotating to be a desktop? (I dont much like towers. Cant stack stuff on them!)

You may be interested to see what theyve done with the new Checkmate Amiga 1500+ case thats about to hit kickstarter:

http://www.amigasystems.com

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 pm

For me I'm happy with a tower, I have already made a space at the side off my desk for it :). Even though ideally I want a black tower case, I do like that acrylic case, although there would be no hiding messy cabling.

matej

Postby matej » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 am

First of all acrylic will be proof of concept (but I can make few kits too - more easily).Main goal is to develop full alu/steel case...
But yes I will include some parts in middle so you will be able to rotate it and use it as desktop.I think it will be strong enough to carry Benq or Samsung lcd.Not sure foe Atari or Amiga rgb monitors.They are heavy.Acrylic is not so strong as metals...
Also when I will find cheap laser/watter/cnc cutting service side pannels can be from metal sheet (it will be strong as 80s AT cases then...).

There are also matte black acrylic materials...
Here is color sheet.I will also 3d print legs and fdd/hdd bays...So case+parts can be in any color too.Will take photos from my project progress soon.
https://www.plexisklo.sk/plexisklo-liate-plexiglas-gs/

As you see you can have case crazy colors (pink falcon for example)... Remember acrylic case will be proto. As big case companies wants min. 20+ or some even 100+ cases from me to produce...Actually I have 3-5 people...
Maybe after photos it will be better...

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm happy with black as it fits with my other kit, but please count me in my falcon has been out off action for some and I want to rebuild it the best I can, and it all starts with a new case.

Many thanks in advance for doing this, I'm really looking forward to have a proper custom case .

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 pm

I quite like the look of this home-brew design:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Design ... m-Scratch/

Did anyone measure the Falcon030, STE,STFM,TT and MSTE motherboards and the screw holes? What's the most accurate way of doing this?

Also each machine has additional add-ons/upgrades which will raise the profile slightly.
As pointed out the ports are different so a modular approach is good.

matej

Postby matej » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:21 am

Looks good that homebrew design.But will you cost like 400+ euro for one piece.Unless you own mechanical engineering parts factory.So why I need 20 people.On other hand that hb case is smart.I like it.Will be inspired...
I will clean my computers will measure STFM, STE, TT and Falcon.First TT.All you need is digital ruler and dimension in your eyes.And pen and papper...Yes profile will be as normal PC tower or desktop...

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:11 am

Yes a great design. The guy did a lot of work but looks like he stopped his work about a year ago. He had a stand so the design could be desktop (horizontal) or tower (vertical)
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threa ... 34/page-11
I saw the same guys username is on Reddit (esplin2966) last week.

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:35 am

Would it be possible to have an almost plain back with just the square holes cut and supply templates for ST/STE/Falcon allowing people to drill the holes that they need ?

It might make the project cheaper and simpler.

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:04 am

Personally I would prefer everything already done and I only have to fix in my Falcon motherboard, drilling motherboard screw holes and tapping the holes for the stand offs etc can be a pain, and if its not done correctly can quickly destroy a case.

I'm happy to do any other mods to the case like fitting port extensions for anything not covered in a standard system. But ideally speaking for myself I would like this to be as close to plug and play as possible.

But I'm really looking forward to see what you come up with.

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Seriously.. look at the DDD falcon/st case. It basically uses the original bottom case, so no need to cut different holes for st/ste/falcon/etc.

It just puts a top flat casing over the bottom to give a desktop case.

I sold mine so cant show you how simple a design it is. If you wanted to fit more stuff, you would just make it a bit taller.

Best option to keep the price down in my opinion. :-)

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:47 pm

That's a great simple way of doing it for ST or Falcon. The original plan for matej was to start on a complete TT case for his project.
For the ST / Falcons a wrap around case that clips above the rear ports would be amazing. I wonder how easy it would be to access Pci cards from a CTPCI.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm

mrbombermillzy wrote:Seriously.. look at the DDD falcon/st case. It basically uses the original bottom case, so no need to cut different holes for st/ste/falcon/etc.

No, but instead you must cut the original top case in two ;) I have a DDD, build quality is good but that's the only positive thing I have to say about it. The Desktopper case is much better, although it suffers from typical British "design" and "quality" it's very usable and flexible.

Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Yeah I had a desk topper back in the day,it was an okay case for what it was, very usuable. I would prefer a nice tower case to sit at the side of my desk, personally I like the design of a tower, I can fit all my kit in it and leaves my desk clean.

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi just wondered did you get the 20 users you need yet?

matej

Postby matej » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:09 am

I ordered acrylic and alu frame for transparent prototype.Will 3D print some parts too...Also buyed 3D CAD :).Yes on end I want to have robust but portable tower/desktop manufactured by real PC case company...After proto I will do probably pre-order or crowdfunding.Will bring first photos soon...My TT MB is collecting dust so need case asap...After proto I will redraw it on 3D CAD...Also will upload proto case docu on github (not that profi case). Proto will be easy to build by yourself.Also will do 3-5 proto cases as kit if you will like it...

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:38 am

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

SainT

Postby SainT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am

I'm in need of a Falcon case, so would be interested. I'm going to get myself a CNC mill before long, so may end up making one, but regardless this case sounds interesting! I have a few machines which could possibly need a new case...

SainT

Postby SainT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:27 am

This style of case would be easy to CNC manufacture. Not sure how much anodising would be, but that would look extremely nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 am

I would be interested in atari tt case, ideally in desktop. Smallest possible and with straightforward, minimalist design, with extra space where I could accomodate gfx card. I hate my current tower case, it's too big. I wouldn't mind if something similar for f030 did exist. Regards, PG

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”