Armour - Geddon rebalancer?

It's all about cheating!

Moderator: Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Armour - Geddon rebalancer?

Postby siriushardware » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Notice I didn't say 'trainer', because that normally implies infinite time / infinite ammo / infinite fuel / infinite lives.

I loved the idea of Armour-Geddon, but the ST version seemed to me to be stupidly hard to play because of a constant severe shortage of... something, possibly fuel for the aircraft. I think the rate of fuel use was so high that you had barely any time in the air, or something like that.

Whatever it was, it made the game annoyingly rock hard and I remember having an ambition to create my own version with the right rate of fuel use, ammo, etc, to make the game pleasantly challenging but not ultra-impossible as it seemed to be 'out of the box'. Of course I never did, and I have now forgotten 98% of my ST coding knowledge.

Did anyone beat me to it?

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Armour - Geddon rebalancer?

Postby leech » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 pm

That would be awesome to remake the game with a fairer balance!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 am

Loved this game, and have recently been thinking about how to hack it. Dont the trainers let you turn on / off different features individually, one of them being infinite fuel? I suppose you aren't asking for infinite.

To be honest I only tried the proper game without trainers a few times. I remember my aircraft just getting plastered by enemy vehicles. Probably my lack of skill more than anything else though.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm

darklight wrote:Loved this game, and have recently been thinking about how to hack it. Dont the trainers let you turn on / off different features individually, one of them being infinite fuel? I suppose you aren't asking for infinite.

To be honest I only tried the proper game without trainers a few times. I remember my aircraft just getting plastered by enemy vehicles. Probably my lack of skill more than anything else though.

Same, though I don't recall if I played it on the ST or the Amiga.

I kind of thought it was one of those that didn't work quite right on the Mega STe.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm

darklight wrote:I suppose you aren't asking for infinite.

That's right, I just wanted it rebalanced so that it would play properly, in the spirit that it was intended.

I don't ask for games to be a walk in the park, I loved Falcon (F16 sim, Spectrum Holobyte) even though it was a very realistic, therefore unforgiving game but it was possible, every once in a while, to hit the target, dodge every single missile fired at you, take a few flak hits and coax your damaged aircraft home and land it and live to fight another day. And occasionally, I would manage to do that for a whole run of missions. Gunship was like that as well, really well balanced in terms of difficulty. I played both of those games for hour after hour and loved them both.

But Armour Geddon - I always had the impression that everything must have been going fine and then just before the game was finished one of the programmers got into a sulk about something and decided to make the game nearly impossible, ruining what would otherwise have been a brilliant and absorbing game. I found it hard to believe that it could have passed any amount of play testing.

Anyone who's never tried Armour-Geddon, if you have nothing better to do for an hour or so give it a try and see what I mean... maybe you can prove me wrong, let me know what your secret is.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:44 am

Hehe... I try to search for "Armour Geddon longplay" at TouTube and there is none! :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Social Media

Return to “Cheats & Saved-Game Editing”