Need idea to do something faster

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Need idea to do something faster

Postby mfro » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:...And you can use debugger/profiler to measure the performance too.

(Just set breakpoint to start and end of the routine, use "profile on" and run the code, and Hatari will output the used cycles when it hits the breakpoint at end of the routine.)

Thanks Eero. Frankly, I use the Hatari debugger only when I really need to, but at least for me, the syntax is so different from everything else I use during the day that it usually takes me hours to wind my brain around it if I try to do something non-trivial. No fun, at least for me.

It's a powerful tool, definitely, but it appears we won't get close friends in this life anymore.

Maybe it's just me.
Last edited by mfro on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:13 pm

mfro wrote:Maybe it's just me.

There's at least two of us then. :-) I completely agree, it always takes a non-trivial time to re-read the manual on every occasion I need it to do something more complex but on the other hand the outcome is usually useful so I have learnt to live with that confusing anger towards the debugger. :-)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm

My normal interaction with the debugger is scripted, so I don't need to remember anything unless I do something new. Normally I just need to pick a suitable debugger script from my "collection" and maybe do a little change (e.g. to catch a different OS call).

Btw. If the builtin help output for debugger commands and their subcommands, or some of the error messages aren't helpful enough, please complain, so that they can be improved!

Social Media

Return to “Coding”