260ST barn find

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

BenTennyson
Atarian
Atarian

260ST barn find

Postby BenTennyson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi folks.
I'm new around here and to everything Atari in general. I was a Commodore kid back in the days so I've got NO prior knowlegde whatsoever, so please bear with me when I seem to ask stupid questions. I already read up on some topics, but still need confirmation on some things.

I only know the name Atari from stupid religious fights with school mates and the brother of a friend, who used his in an audio workstation setup.

So I've been gifted this 260ST by a friend and I saw this as a chance to enlarge my small world view and try to get this thing up and running, since I'm into retro computing anyway. I currently own a C16, C64, an Amiga 500 and 1200. Oh and a crusty Schneider EuroPC that hasn't seen an outlet for at least 15 years.

So the problem with this Atari is that it came with NOTHING. I already have a solution to power it by means of a spare ATX power supply. And I presume I could hook up my Commodore 1084S at least for low resolutions right? Will the graphical user interface run on lo-res as well?
I also have enough Amiga mice to sacrifice one for a re-wiring surgery.

I think the biggest two problems I'll face will be that I have no disk drive or kickstart disk (whats the kickstart called in Atari lingo?), since the 260 doesn't have a ROM, correct? What is the difference between TOS and GEM by the way, can you call it the equivalent of kickstart and workbench? Is both integrated in the later ROM models?

Can I somehow connect a shugart interface floppydrive to this model without an SF314 case?

Thank you for your patience and for making it below that wall of text :coffe:

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: 260ST barn find

Postby troed » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Congratulations :)

Your 260ST might or might not have a full TOS (operating system) including GEM (graphical user interface) - else it only has a boot rom which will load TOS from disk. You will be able to replace the boot rom chips with a full TOS if so.

Regarding Shugart interface, how handy are you with building stuff? There's a somewhat easy way of creating an internal 34 pin connector in that model (all non-F models) - but requires lots of soldering and wiring. Else you can still find external drives (SF314 and clones) to buy.

The following photos will form part of an extended writeup I'll do over att exxos' forum when I get the time, but I think you get the gist. What's not visible is the wiring converting from the 12 solder pads to Shugart 34 pin, but the (in progress) Eagle schematic shows the thinking.

floppy1_small.JPG

Note: Some motherboard models have filters instead of zero ohm links here. In that case they need to be desoldered and then put back on top afterwards, and all three rows of pads need to be wired up (as shown in the schematic)

floppy2_small.JPG

floppy3_small.JPG

floppy4_small.JPG

floppy5_small.JPG

floppy_schematic.png

(DS0/DS1 extracted to their own pads instead of just wired through since I'm building an internal HxC slim and want to be able to switch between it being A: or the external drive being A: .. )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BenTennyson
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BenTennyson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Great news, thank you. So do I interpret that correct that the external floppy case has no own logic components aside from the floppy itself?
Concerning my building abilities...
I'm certainly no master, but I learnt proper soldering techniques in my job training, and made the occational hardware mod here and fix there.
What I totally suck at really is building or modifying cases etc, especially concerning plastics. I think I might use your instructions but keep my drive outside the Atari for starters.

I just opened up the 260 and holy moly it looks freaking terrible...
I see no rust or corrosion on the first glance, but it is full - really full of dust, brick dust and something that looks like powdered chalk. Along with the obligatory barn smell.
Cleaning that up will take quite a while.
https://imgur.com/a/PNaCp

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:37 pm

You have a memory upgrade there! :) Not fully populated either. That's great news (as I alluded to over at Reddit).

edit: Yes. you got that right. The Atari talks Shugart, just over 14 pins in that external connector instead of 34. It's just wiring.

http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/int ... _Connector

BenTennyson
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BenTennyson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 am

Eew I'm glad I didn't just power this up before opening.
I don't really wanna know what that fluffy stuff is.
Also, this MMU PCB popped right off the socket when I touched it:

It looks like this machine is populated with TOS1.4 roms, according to the stickers:
Note that I put the green tape on the rom chips myself since they have a transparent lid, I presume they are the light erasable types.
Doesn't look pretty, but I've never handled these before and I am afraid to accidentaly erase them.

I cleaned the whole machine by now, the PCB looks fine but the bottom shield has some rust on it, which bled onto the inner plastic housing.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”