MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiSTer Case at shapeways (nylon plastic)

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Here is it:
https://mega.nz/#!YR5zzZ5Q!5XGXOrHJwMcw ... -aeeKuVUKQ

There are 2 models inside. USBHub board is reversible and allows to use either long side for USB ports. I don't know if you will make 2 different cases, or bottom part of case can be reversible too. It's also possible to make a thinner plastic in front of USB on both sides, so user will be able to cut out the windows on desired side.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you. I will take a look. :mrgreen:

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 am

NegSol wrote:Thanks for asking. I guess I did not explain it too well.
Look at the pictures below. You can see that the button size for the XS is way smaller than the size of the regular v52 case.
The red prototype was the size of a regular v5.2 button not an XS version. But it works the same. 8)

How to use it: After inserting the tubular parts, you will slide and press (carefully!) the other part of the button in place. This parts then acts as a locking bolt. This way you should get a functional moving part. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Hope this gives you a better idea. :)

Ah ! Thanks a lot, it gets absolutly clear. Have ordered a new top part and buttons as well, but i guess i could have modified my current top part using my dremel and remove the the plastic so that i can insert the tubular parts. Well at least i will be able to confirm if the latest design works as expected :) Will keep you informed as my new top part and buttons should be delivered by the end of this week :)
Thanks again !

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm

NegSol wrote:Thank you. I will take a look. :mrgreen:

Negsol,
Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

The buttons are easy to assemble, they smoothly move and they are at the perfect height so that when the case is closed they are in upper position and i can press to activate the i/o board buttons. Great stuff !

I will post pictures of my closed case when i receive XS Ram board.

Thanks again that was worth the money even if resulted in the most expensive plastic case i've ever bought :lol:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm

DirtyBernie wrote:Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

Closeup picture shows rough plastic like a piece of bread. How it feel - smooth polished or rough?
Can you make more pictures where texture of surface/edges is visible?
I've though the case should be smooth and pretty close to pressed plastic look than home made 3D printing. At least the price let me think so.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Great news! Thanks for giving feedback and sharing! :mrgreen:

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
DirtyBernie wrote:Finally received my new top case plus buttons : It perfectly works !

Closeup picture shows rough plastic like a piece of bread. How it feel - smooth polished or rough?
I've though the case should be smooth and pretty close to pressed plastic look than home made 3D printing. At least the price let me think so.

There are different materials and processing techniques to choose from. There are steps like polishing after printing to get a very smooth finish. This way different looks can be achieved.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm

NegSol wrote:There are different materials and processing techniques to choose from. There are steps like polishing after printing to get a very smooth finish. This way different looks can be achieved.

So, you want to say for $80 you get the quality like from home 3D printer?

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Not really - or have you seen a home printer using a sinter laser process using nylon? There are no seam lines and less aritfacts (like ghosting etc).

Also all 3d printed pieces will have to get some paint to really great.

But I have not used the shapeways nylon myself, so lets wait until someone puts up more pictures - then we will see if it is worth it :D

DirtyBernie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DirtyBernie » Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 am

Sorgelig wrote:

I will get soon a standard 3D printed case so the comparison can be done and i will make pictures with something better than my smartphone.

Now it's just a very little rough, very litle. I mean it's not as smooth as a plastic injected product.

But comparing to pictures i've seen from home 3D printed cases, it's definitly over the top.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 am

@NegSol
what do you think about making I/O board holes covered by thin plastic originally? So, user will decide what hole to open depending on addon board. For example, user may have no I/O board originally, but still can use XS case without holes. Later he can get I/O board and will open the holes. Some I/O board may come without TOSLink. So, thin plastic on the holes will add end-user configuration.

I don't know if you understood it correct. I mean, the holes will be present, but will be closed by very thin plastic which can be pushed out by fingers when need.

Return to “MiSTer”